Wedding Cakes and Fly Fishing Legends

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Wedding Cakes and Fly Fishing Legends

Post by reeltackle »

I played, fished, owned a business, and lived on and off down in the Florida Keys for many years from the mid 1970s through the late 1990s. There I met a group of men who pioneered fly fishing the backcountry and flats for bonefish, permit and the Silver King, better known as the tarpon or simply the poon. I made friends and fished with many of these fine anglers over the years, their names have become legendary to those who endeavor to cast a fly to big fish in shallow salty water.

Loving all things Fin-Nor and having been immersed in the Florida Keys fishing scene back in the day I decided to try and pick up a few "Wedding Cake" fly reels that belonged to some of the Key's fishing legends that I have met along the way. The Fin-Nor "Wedding Cake" fly reel was the first fly reel made specifically to meet the needs of the salt water anglers targeting large tarpon and other salt water species found in South Florida and the Keys. Legendary men and the reels they used, here are a few reels that I believe fit that profile.

Known as Mr. Tarpon, Stu Apte, has caught more tarpon than any man living or otherwise. He has a tarpon taming style all his own and it is a beautiful thing to behold. Stu held several Tarpon world records on fly as well as records for other species of fish earning him a spot in the IGFA Hall of Fame. Stu was having a garage sale on Plantation Key back in the mid 80s and he invited me into his home to talk tackle. I have never seen so much quality tackle, old and new, in one house, we became instant friends.

Lefty Kerh was salt water fishing's greatest ambassador and is arguably the most famous salt water fly-fisherman who ever cast a fly. I met Lefty at a casting exhibition down on Plantation Key in the mid 1980s. Lefty was hitting floating corks with flies from about 50 feet away. After nailing 6 straight he took his rod apart and cast with just the tip hitting 6 for 6. Next he grabbed just the fly line and repeated the feat, you could hear a pin drop. While Lefty lived in Homestead his home was broken into and most of his tackle stolen. After this incident Lefty used a Dremel tool to engrave his signature into every reel he owned regardless of whether it had a name tag or not. No one could cast a fly like Lefty and no one took more time to help fellow anglers like myself along the road, his patience was infinite. Lefty is in the IGFA Hall of Fame and is considered a National Treasure among fly fishermen.

Flip Pallot was everyone's first choice as a flats guide back in the day. Flip hosted the first show on salt water fly fishing, The Salt Water Angler and then went on to host his famous TV show Walker Cay Chronicles. Flip also co-founded Hell's Bay Boatworks, a company that prides itself on making the highest quality cutting edge flats fishing skiffs. Flip is considered the complete outdoors-man and earned his place in the IGFA Hall of Fame fishing the Keys and the Everglades. I met Flip back in 1981 at his cool but short-lived fly fishing outfitters shop, Wind River Rendezvous, in a southern suburb of Miami.

Ted Williams fished Islamorada for many years and after retiring from baseball the "Splendid Splinter" bought a a house on the bay side of Upper Matacumbe Key. When I first started my business down in the Keys in the pre-computer era Ted’s personal secretary, Stacia Gerow, did some typing for me when I needed to send a formal letter. It was through Stacia I first met Ted ... I could tell a story or two. If you asked anyone who fished with him, guide or otherwise, who had the most beautiful cast they ever saw they would almost to a man say it was Ted. A natural athlete with 20/10 vision he could see fish that no one else could see and then he would cast a fly to the perfect spot every time. Ted worked on fly fishing as hard as he worked on baseball and it was this dedication to the sport that earned him his spot in the IGFA Hall of Fame.

ONE FOR THE ROAD -

The reel that started it all, the very first "Wedding Cake" fly reel. Gar Wood Jr. was friends with Charlie Dunn who owned Fin-Nor Reels which was part of Southern Tackle back in the early 1960s. Wood Jr. was tired of watching Dunn's Pflueger Medalist fly reels explode under the pressure of fighting a big tarpon. Wood Jr., a talented machinist, built this reel and gave it to Dunn as a gift in 1962. Dunn is pictured using the reel to catch a nice blackfin tuna in 1962, five years before the Wedding Cake" fly reel went into production in 1967. I acquired the reel from Charlie Dunn's daughter.

Last edited by reeltackle on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Wedding Cakes and Fly Fishing Legends

Post by RonG »

Ed, that's an impressive collection of fly reels owned by know personalities. Keep on looking and gathering these treasures.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Great collection ! Putting famous names with reels is a bonus ! I enjoyed reading about all of them. THANK YOU ! John Savu
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

I knew two of them, Stu and Lefty. Had them both in my old Tahoe at one time. 2 wonderful stories about two wonderful guys. Lefty had many great stories about fishing and fishermen. He helped more people learn to fly fish than anyone. Stu set the bar for tarpon fishermen and is still going. Truly great angling collectibles Ed. Thanks for the posting.
Keepin' It Fun! Colby
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Kudos to you, Ed! Great reels, yes, but they don’t hold a candle to all those great memories!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Absolutely awesome Ed.

I love specialized collections like these. Nice job !

I've had a couple of Lefty's reels ...he sure loved his Dremel tool !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Wow Ed ! Now that is a collection. Doug
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bamboocollector11 »

Just an incredible collection previously owned and now currently owned by talented and gifted men.

Those letters, coupled with the reels, are some thing I never thought would even exist.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures with us.
Ed
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ed,

An informative and interesting thread worthy of your incredible collection.

Where I grew up along the WV/PA state line near Pittsburgh, “Breyer’s ice cream” out of Philadelphia was the top of the line ice cream for special occasions. Below is a link for Henry Breyer III’s 2019 obituary. Quality Ice cream and fishing tackle...he lived an interesting life.

“Henry William Breyer III, the owner of a high-end fishing tackle company, died on July 24 at home in Palm Beach, Fla. The former East Hampton resident was 88 and had been in declining health for several months, his family said.

Mr. Breyer was the grandson of the founder of Breyer’s Ice Cream, but made a name for himself as the owner of the Tycoon Fin-Nor company. In 1963 The Miami News dubbed it “the Rolls-Royce of the fishing tackle industry.”

He was born in Philadelphia on Nov. 12, 1930, to Henry William Breyer Jr. and the former Margaret McKee. He grew up there and attended the Haverford School and later the University of Virginia, graduating in 1953. He also served in the Coast Guard.

In August of 1959 he married Joanne Braatz, whom his family described as his best friend. They lived in New York and brought up two children there, and then more than 30 years ago became residents of Palm Beach.

Mr. Breyer was an enthusiastic fisherman and maintained a house in East Hampton for many years. He was a member of several clubs here and elsewhere, including the Everglades Club, the Bath and Tennis Club, the Sailfish Club of Florida, the Maidstone Club, the Devon Yacht Club, the New York Yacht Club, the Brook, the Clambake Club, and the Spouting Rock Beach Association.
In addition to his wife of nearly 60 years, Mr. Breyer is survived by two children, Henry William Breyer IV and Laura L. Breyer, and two grandchildren.”

https://www.easthamptonstar.com/2019822 ... breyer-iii

Here is link about the history of Breyer’s ice cream:

https://www.breyers.com/us/en/about.html
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990