Hook display early fromearly 1900s Just came in

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Hook display early fromearly 1900s Just came in

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Thought I would share this from the tackle end that goes on the rod and reel. A gentleman that was an early pioneer in sportfishing from the 50s to the 80s passed these on to me and I am honored to have them in my collection. I believe almost every hook made by Mustad at the time. You look back at history and the design of the hooks that people think are new are not so much after looking at this. So Cal history that this man had. I bought some molds he made years ago and he passed them on to me. I was 12 when I meet him on a party boat and as a kid I caught fish with his jigs. Enjoy. I guess I now collect Hooks. A good start. AY.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Hook display early fromearly 1900s Just came in

Post by kyreels »

Nice display. I enjoyed Todd Larson's book on the history of the fishing hook. http://whitefishpress.com/bookdetail/57
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

What a great friend, Bud! I love talking to those kinds of guys. When I came over to San Diego for the convention in 2014, I ran into a guy like that at the gate getting on the plane. He ended up sitting next to me and we talked for the whole 6 hr flight. It was amaaaazing. First flight in my life that I asked "What? We're here already?"
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Those are wonderful historical displays. Thanks for sharing.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Bud, that is awesome! I’ve been collecting early “snelled” triangle hook packs, but they don’t display nearly as nicely as that. Thanks for posting.

Mike N
Last edited by Mike N on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:55 pm Nice display. I enjoyed Todd Larson's book on the history of the fishing hook. http://whitefishpress.com/bookdetail/57
Lol, only Dr. Todd could write a 360-page book on early fish hooks! I just ordered it. Thanks for the link, Matt.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

I would buy the book but I don't think Mustad is in it? I would love to see the ideas behind them and what they are for. I have a good general knowledge based on my Commercial and sportfishing operations I worked on or with. There are variations I think I have seen on certain strange lures from various makers. Thanks Its a keeper to go with my saltwater collection.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Mustad is lightly covered in The History of the Fish Hook In America, but it is not an America company and Todd referenced that it was about the only history printed prior to his book (think he is referring to Sport Afield History of Fish Hook in 1975, but not sure). There are some other collector books out there dealing with Hooks and Harnesses, but there is no other real history which is comprehensive and authoritative in its range and coverage of the whole spectrum of hooks and the impact on fishing in America and the World. There really is a lot to all the variations, including the early human endeavors, maybe going back to 3000 BC. Todd referenced that there might be a Vol II and III at some point, which would complete the history. This volume is a great introduction and although not comprehensive, fills a great void in the knowledge of what Forbes Magazine in 2005 called the 19th most important tool in the history of mankind.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. Very cool. Yes, new is actually old.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024