A "New" Old Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

A "New" Old Reel

Post by joe klaus »

Last edited by joe klaus on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: A "New" Old Reel

Post by Bill Muth »

That's a beauty Joe!
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. Nice find. That one probably actually is new!

I've learned to look more closely than I did at the start. And not be fooled by the 'Wexford' sticker on the reel foot of some Shakespeare reels up for sale. :roll: I've found that those stickers are not all that hard to come by, and... they sure are shiny! :)
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Joe, do you know where that reel might have hailed from? A gift never used? From a store never sold? Or the factory? Curious as usual.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

joe klaus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 pm
Wow, now that is farm fresh. Very nice, Joe.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

A bit more information about this reel. This is a reel I'm donating to a private auction to raise money for a college scholarship to be give in the name of one of my friends that passed away last year. I'm using ORCA to temporarily host. I will remove this pic after that auction has been completed.

Roughly 20 years ago, I acquired 5 of these "new-old stock" Shakespeare reels (all from that same era) from a collector in Florida named Mike Echols. At one time, Mike was an avid collector of lures and wrote extensively about lure collecting. If my memory serves me, Mike got these out of a warehouse that held contents of a sporting goods store that had closed "years ago". Actually, he probably had maybe 15 or so of these. They were offered for sale on Joe Yates board, and I took 5 and other collectors took the rest. I've since sold 3 and have 2 left including this one. The other is a Marhoff.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

This is a photo of how the reels were boxed, and then a photo of the Marhoff that I still have.

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Oh my! Beautiful, stunning, seeing them new! Nice box and bag too. And thanks for the details, Joe.

The one I was fooled on was a Marhoff. The reel is in excellent condition, probably nearly new, but... not new.

And the offending sticker... Fool that I was.

Another that came in nearly new was a 1922 Wondereel, but came in with a cracked main gear. The damage must have occurred early on and the reel was then put on a shelf. The seller refunded me half-price -a good man- and I then replaced the gear from a 1920 parts reel I bought. This Wondereel is probably the quietest caster I have. It certainly feels new. Oh, and the handle knobs have hockey tape on them as this reel will be fished.

But neither are as crisp and perfect as those that you have. Stunning. Again, such a treat to see them new.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024