Pre-War Pflueger Bond 2955

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Pre-War Pflueger Bond 2955

Post by Paul Roberts »

Picked up a pre-war Pflueger Bond, a freespool, "quadruple multiplier" (4:1) "light surf-casting" reel. Love the looks of the hard rubber and nickel silver reels. This is a little reel, for a SW reel, about the size of the later Rocket. Initially, the Bond was stamped a "100yd" reel, although specs show it held 255yds of 9-count cuttyhunk (linen) -about 27lbs break strength. This is the same capacity as the Capitol 1985, although a much lighter, less complicated, and less robust reel compared to the Capitol

The pre-war Bond appeared in 1928 and ran until 1941. Despite the long run, I haven’t seen that many of them, and even less information in terms of old print ads. The Great Depression I suppose?

Some have puzzled over the different markings on these pre-war Bonds. I suspect it was the very earliest Bonds that had: no model number inscribed on the faceplate, full patent numbers on the tailplate, and "100" stamped into the foot? Maybe someone can verify? A 1931 ad shows the "2955" and "2915" models already in place. However, I found one lone example with a completely different pillar arrangement, and fewer and heavier pillars. No model number and it appears no patent stamp.

Mine is inscribed 2955, the satin nickel silver version (the 2915 was polished), a simplified “Patented/Pats Pend” on the tailplate, and no foot stamp.

This one has an optional 2543 "Cub" handle attached, instead of the standard counter-balanced handle. The 2543 was intended for the Bond -and presumably other small SW reels. The knob on the handle appears to be hard rubber like the plates. The standard handle knobs on other old Bonds look to be wood.

The reel has been well used , and cared for. But of course it had long since dried out inside and needed a good cleaning, burnishing of the important internals, and proper lubing. Externally, there is some corrosion (surface rust) on the pillars. The Cub drag plate is missing much of its plating. I suspect a real fisher had owned it, evidenced by the optional Cub handle -some added high tech for the day. And the fact that the foot is bent askew a bit suggesting, perhaps, an attempt to stop a big fish? If the reel had been dropped it would have shown elsewhere on the reel. The screw heads were in fine shape so possibly he/she was a careful one too? It's fun to speculate on an individual reel's history. Accurate or not it breathes some life into it. I hope to add a few more stories to its history, for future anglers to speculate on.

I took the reel down completely, finding it a simple design. The freespool apparatus is interesting. At first sight I thought that the faceplate, where the main gear post comes through, had been damaged. Then I could see that it had been machined into an oblong shape. Uh oh! How am I going to deal with that?

Then, as I got fiddling with the FS mechanism, I found that the mechanism simply pushes the main gear down out of the way of the pinion, via a rotating cam. The oblong shape of the opening in the faceplate allows the main gear post to slide forward and down, taking the main gear with it away from the pinion. This clutch mechanism is called a Koph/Kopf? Clutch, thanks to Steve (oc1). Which, according to Steve, had it's issues of the nuts holding it in place loosening causing the gears to potentially lock up. This could explain the bent foot! A spot of non-permanent LockTite might be a good idea before fishing with this reel.

After cleaning, burnishing, and lubing, and adjusting the controls, she runs pretty well. There is a bit of gear noise -a buzzing, grinding sound- that I assume is due to somewhat worn gear teeth, or to the tolerances required to have the freespool mechanism engage easily(?).

Adjusting spool controls is pretty important in these older reels. It’s important to first balance the spool at both ends. Otherwise, one end or the other will be noisy, as the spool spindles loll around loosely in the bearings. Or, you’ll hear the spool wall “ring” against the inner plate slightly. Once balanced, this old Bond freespools silently, and for quite a long time -12 seconds with a hand spin on the spool, and 24sec cranking her up with the handle then popping it into FS. I was happy to see that. I think it should cast quite well. The handle and main gear, when disengaged (in FS), are also silent. Engage the gears and it buzzes. Possibly a thicker grease on the main gear might help? Regardless, I believe it will be a fun, and pretty, reel to fish with.

Last edited by Paul Roberts on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:03 am, edited 37 times in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pre-War Pflueger Bond 2955

Post by Shellbelly »

Beautiful example and very nice description of your project!! I'm far from an expert, but you may need to reference some original catalog pictures to verify the free spool lever installation. I would certainly enjoy seeing that reel at work on a split cane rod.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Shellbelly.

I'm certainly far from an expert. I think I have the lever set correctly: up engaged, down FS. Here's a 1931 ad:
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Those old Pfluegers (and Montagues) are really nice, simple reels. Good job on cleaning that one up!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Oh! I see it now! 😄 I have the lever on backwards. Thanks for the heads up.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Try to always keep in mind this patent, possibly the most insightful, innovative patent ever assigned to
Enterprise Mfg. Co.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Sheer brilliance! I'll keep it under my pillow.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Sometimes I get kind of "robotic" during reassembly. I've seen some unexplainable things after I "thought" I was done with a reel. Spare parts on the mat, long screws protruding through the reel stand. I completely left the level wind assembly off of a 309....late night work. Fun, fun.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

:) It is fun. But there’s also some trepidation, puzzlement, disappointment, and horror, thrown in, usually culminating in some level of satisfaction. That is, until I discover the lone screw at the bottom of the tray, after the reel is supposedly all back together! Luckily they are beautiful little machines, with an awe inspiring purpose. Well worth the effort.

You know, I actually like the look of that FS lever sitting proud. But, pride should not interfere with the purpose. So it’ll have to remain tucked out of the way.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Agreed! And for that lever, it does have attitude in your original position....especially when it scrapes a little DNA off the finger when pulling in the prize Bonefish. Seriously, the reel shows well and you should be proud to have found it. I hope you get to spool it up and take it for a spin.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Shellbelly.

I went after the rust and corrosion with an acid. I didn't have any vinegar (everything is packed up for our move) but I did have lemons in the fridge! Got rid of the worst of the dark tarnished areas but lost the silver plating these areas taken down to the underlying brass. The Cub plate looks more like copper, or bronze? Not sure if I shouldn't have simply left the "patina" on the pillars. At least the FS lever is oriented correctly.

Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

We are moving as well. All my reel work is stopped and packed. No reels to look at or play with. No tools or lube ready for a project. For the time being I'm living vicariously and window shopping.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I finally got a break in all the pre-sale house work, bought some lubes and a couple tooth brushes, and been unwinding working on some saltwater reels on the kitchen table. Going to be packing them up soon too.

BTW, I've (rather continuously) updated the initial post as I've learned things about the Bond.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Paul, here's a Bond currently listed on the bay for 85. Notice anything out of place?
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

😃 That’s funny. Looking at that patina, looks like that lever flip was done some time ago.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

The handle on yours is different as well. Comparing the two examples may lead to a more specific production period for your reel. Keeping in mind that handles are very mobile, it can only "suggest" the age of the reel.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks. I've been looking at handles and, outside of the Cub, there seems to be three pear-shaped knobs: A more flared wooden one (as in the ad above), a slimmer wood (most common?), and the more rounded, slightly bulbous, one on my Cub and some others, possibly the one in the photo above. I'm guessing this one is hard rubber, as I think it's too early for "plastic".

Listen to me, lol! Sounds like OCD! If I don't get moved and settled soon, who knows where this'll lead! Such obsessive attention to details I argue we come by honestly. Nature is very complex place, and we have just the brains to at least try to figure it out. Don't think we do all that well in too small a box. :) Kinda can't wait to get out onto the water, where my obsessive tendencies are easier to explain to my wife. :)

Hope your move is going smoothly.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

NAH!! Not obsession. It's genuine interest. You already know more about your reel than 99% on the planet. All this occurred in a short time. Keep going. I'm primarily a Penn guy and this thread has me looking at OC's more often. I have a few OC's, but haven't seriously considered expanding that end of the shelf until now. I'm liking the 6/0 model at the moment.

In fact, this group of folks has widened my perspective and provided some discipline to my interests.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Shellbelly wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 am NAH!! Not obsession. It's genuine interest. You already know more about your reel than 99% on the planet. All this occurred in a short time. Keep going. I'm primarily a Penn guy and this thread has me looking at OC's more often. I have a few OC's, but haven't seriously considered expanding that end of the shelf until now. I'm liking the 6/0 model at the moment.

In fact, this group of folks has widened my perspective and provided some discipline to my interests.
Yes, this is an amazing group here. They've certainly widened my perspective and piqued my interest in new avenues. Or, let's say they've helped widen my main avenue: Beautiful old reels to fish with. I've slipped into saltwater stuff bc my wife and I are likely headed that way. That's a whole new lane on the avenue.