The "Lawson/Wright" Effect

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

The "Lawson/Wright" Effect

Post by Bill Muth »

Here is what happens to a perfectly sane collector of Horton Mfg. Co. reels after spending three days with Ben Wright and Stu Lawson. This is my haul from the 2006 ORCA national show:

The Ky. reel is a very unusual Pennell reel for that collection (thanks Grandpa Phil), the rest are obviously spinning reels, mostly English (Illingworth, Spinet, Hardy, etc., and an awesome Bowell Auto Reel). Opening this door probably sounded the death knell for what is left of my lure collection, but these were just too cool to pass up.

Also, if you don't own Ben Wright's book on spinning reels, it is a must-have. I learned more from that book on my flight book home than anything I've read in quite some time. Not pictured is a Bristol No. 65RG fly reel box that Tom Eidson snapped up for me, thanks Tom!
rogue
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rogue »

Just started collecting spinning reels, I was curious what was the cost for this impressive haul? If your able to share.
FSREPAIR
Advanced Board Poster

Spin Reel Bug

Post by FSREPAIR »

Bill,

Wow, what a way to get started collecting spin reels. Very Impressive! You don't mess around when it comes to starting a collection. You got the bug bad! I would have to say you are lucky to go home still having your britches and very fortunate you didn't spend a week with them. Ha! Randy
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Thanks for the notes Rogue & Randy. I always wanted an example or two of an Illingworth just because I liked the looks of them, but went to the ORCA National in Lake George planning to buy nothing but Horton, Meek, Bristol, and Pennell reels and boxes for my collection.

I spent about an hour in Mr. Wright's room during room trading (this was the first time we actually met, though we've given each other leads on reels in past) looking at and discussing his spinning reels. I bought his book and then I went to his seminar. I sat with Mr. Lawson and his Pretty Young Thing at the annual ORCA dinner, and we had a great conversation about collecting, shows, fishing, etc.

At the show set-up Friday night, I was admiring the incredible selection of spinning reels on Stu's table. I love my Horton and Bristol reels, but it's hard to find a prettier reel than an exposed gear Illingworth with just enough wear to give it character. Stu offered me a deal that I couldn't refuse (which included all the spinning reels you see in the pic except the Bowell, which he sold me near the end of the show the next day). That's the great thing about shows - especially the ORCA National - versus eBay, you get to meet great people with unbelievable knowledge, and more often than not you get a chance to buy or trade for stuff that you otherwise couldn't get, even if it showed up on eBay.

I still can't thank Stu enough for giving me the chance to purchase these reels at a great price. That being said, you're right Randy, even another day with these guys and I would have hitchhiking home.
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Nice reels!!

Post by Airexguy »

I'm glad to see more ORCA members collecting Spinning reels, or at least seeing more of them posted. When I joined the ORCA group I was surprised at how so few were talking about them. I can understand the bait casting reel being out their first and also that the Spinning reel was an UPSTART when it came into the picture. I can't recall how many magazine articles I've read regarding the "invasion" of the dreaded Spinning reel. I do think the Spinning reel made it easier for more people to enjoy fishing.

I'm just happy to see more Spinning reels popping up, and "A" is for Airex! Bob The Airex Guy