The Father of all Penn Reels

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

The Father of all Penn Reels

Post by m3040c »

Hello Gentleman and the occational lady or two that joins in...

I recently purchased the end reel for my big game series, a Penn 16/0. I need a bit of help dating the reel. I suspect it was the last version made for this size but I am not sure of the years this reel was made with the Black barrel shaped handle. I was lucky, at least I feel lucky to have found this reel in new condition with all the hardware that goes with the reel.

Now, all I need is a Penn box and the catalog, wrench and whatever else comes in the box to make this a New Old Stock "Mint" reel. Could anyone possibly have one of these little boxes laying around? I would be happy to buy it.

Image[/url]
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Stick a fork in it

Post by Richard Lodge »

Mike: I think you'll have to find an original Penn fork lift for that beauty. That's one monster reel! congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics.
(How about a Reel News piece showing some of the big ocean reels in your collection?)
:) :P
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I would never presume that my collection is good enough for Reel News but if someone was interested in publishing my collection, I would do what I can do to put it together. Actually I have not completed the series yet. I also do not have the all the reels cleaned enough for a public display but one never knows what the future will bring. At this point my collection consists of (in order of size) a Penn 1/0, Edward Vom Hofe 2/0, Ocean City 3/0, Julius Vom Hofe 4/0, Julius Vom Hofe 6/0, Pfueger Templar 1420 1/2 8/0, Ocean City 9/0 and last but not smallest this Penn 16/0. Originally I planned on not duplicating manufactures but some reels are just too tempting to pass up. I have been trying to fill in one of my open sizes with a Zwarg but I just can not get by the sharks that keep bidding on those reels. I also want a Pflueger Atlapac even though that reel will have to be a double of one of the sizes I already have. My original goal was to have the collection go from size 1/0 through sizes 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0, 8/0, 9/0, 10/0, 11/0, 12/0, 13/0, 14/0, 15/0 and 16/0. At this point I am not even sure if a reel exists in each one of those sizes. I wonder if anyone knows that answer :?: I have also given myself the flexibility to add a duplicate size to the collection if I find a reel that falls into the "gotta have it" catagory, if I find a nice Atlapac it will become a "gotta have it" reel, likewise for a Zwarg, Kavolaski or any other reel that makes me admire the maker. So who knows, in the future my 16 reel series collection may turn in 30 reels. I have decided that is a good thing. :shock:
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Mike, I hate to tell you this but they go up to 20/0 and sometimes in odd sizes because most were custom orders. Have fun! :D
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

too big

Post by m3040c »

I do know that reels go to 20/0 and I bet that somewhere in the history of big game reels they go even bigger. I have to stay in my reality and my reality dictates that anything bigger than 16/0 is no longer a reel, it is a winch. 8)

Anyways, it was good to hear from you Brian. Got a spare Atlapac you want to get rid of :?: