signature on old rod

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Joe long
Big ORCA Fan

signature on old rod

Post by Joe long »

I was told you fellows are pretty well versed in this area by a Mr. Jean Paul. This old rod has a readable date of 1942 but the signature is a mystery to me. It looks something like Sow Caller or Saw Caller or perhaps Sam Collier. I realize alot of rod makers were in volved in cottage industries and many were regional guys. I thought I'd run by this group and see if any of you guys have seen this make before. Sorry about the glare is just has hard to read when you've got it in your hand. Thanks for any help you can offer. ~ Joe Long
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Joe, might need a clearer photo and/or some other shots of the handle, butt, guides, etc. to really get some help. What type is it and what's the overall length?

Joe's description:

"The guides are red agate and the rod is just over 4 ft in length. It has no mark that i can find but it looks like rods I've seen called bristols . Its got a cork handle and a smaller cork globe above the reel seat. The reel seat is very simple it consists of a ring that slides back over the reel foot to hold the reel in place. That ring has a J shaped place for your index finger soldered to it."
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

First the disclaimer - I am not knowledge about rods except to catch fish! But...based on my personal observations, especially of my father's rods and those of his friends, it is quite possible that the name and date is that of the owner, not necessarily the maker. Cheers, Alan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

that is also a very short rod! I wonder if it is one that has been modified by the mystery signer from a formerly longer rod? Name might be that of a "Furriner" too, which would complicate the read!

re "sow caller"...maybe "Sand Dollar"?