new rod, old reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

new rod, old reel

Post by Ron Mc »

This rod is a DR Stone 8' 5-wt. # 0704 - it's the FE Thomas Light Special (I like it with a WF4). It will cast the leader, and casts itself out to 50+'. Fred Thomas designed this taper in the late 20s or early 30s.

I had seen some of Dennis’ antiquing work, and so I wanted this rod to be traditional and have the look of an old rod.
I picked everything to blend – a Spanish cedar spacer on the seat for the traditional look; transluscent gold wraps to have the look of faded silk. He turned the grooves in the cap and band, blued then antiqued them and did the same matching treatment to the ferrules. He made the grip to my specs - I sent him photos and measurements of my favorite grips and he shaped it to my preferences.

The reel is probably the nicest Ogden Smiths Exchequer in the world and I should be ashamed for planning to fish it. It had never been lined until I did it last week. I have other reels for this rod as well, including a very fine 3" Dingley and 3" Young perfect, so I may not fish it "much".

I've had the reel in my collection for a couple of years now but couldn't get it apart. Oil that I had put on the bearings finally wetted between the spindle, the the reel glided apart when I tried it last week. The spool is supported by two Hoffmann aircraft control system ball bearings separated by a brass spacer. There was really nothing internally to clean, but I lubed for safe fishing, reassembled and lined it.

I've researched this reel in just about as much detail as I can from this side of the pond. Low end is "pinned" by JW Young sliding agate patent, 1937. Top end is pinned by the War - 1940.
here's the catalog page, which is not dated, but must fit the same date range.
It's the 90s flyreel from 1939. Palming rim, variable disc drag, spool riding on two precision ball bearings. The click-pawl can be disengaged. The foot is solid nickel, as is the centrebrake which is in the center of the spool.
I've even researched the Hoffmann bearings. Knowing that JW Young was building the firing trigger mechanism for Hurricane and, later, Spitfire fighters, I've wondered if this reel was designed to mask the boxes of aircraft control system ball bearings turning up at the Mayfield Works.

Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Ron`s Rod & Reel

Post by Jack Bright »

Superb selection, making an outstanding fishing/collectors tool, please don`t drop it. Beautiful to say the least. Jack(green eyed).
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I understand my charge, Jack.
Think of how we NEVER see a lead finish in this condition.
If I marked this reel, I would be disappointed, to say the Very least.
I know I will fish the Dingley with it, and probably much more often - it actually looks just as nice on the rod.

Now how about this one for the type Japanned enamel?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ron, that's a really gorgeous combo and the rod work is fantastic. I hope you fish it and enjoy it...that's what it's all about, eh? i envy you cutting away the time to enjoy the hobby with so much passion.