Passing of a Interesting Man

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Passing of a Interesting Man

Post by m3040c »

I have known Mike Popowich for many years. He goes into my "Interesting Man" category. Mike traveled to all the shows and was a constant searcher of the most scarce and obscure pieces of salt water sporting history. No doubt, Mike was gruff and nobody's fool. He never let a deal pass him by and leaves a legacy of very rare collectibles that passed through his hands into the hands other collectors, as well as keeping what he liked for himself.
Many of us in the world of ORCA know Mike, his colorful way of dealing with people was unique and had the tendency to be memorable. I always looked forward to seeing Mike Popowich at the New York shows, when I asked Mike for a opportunity to buy his Penn Model F, he gave me that opportunity and even allowed for negotiations which enabled me to get it at a lower price. Later he told me he felt that I would write about Penn reels and he wanted me to have the Model F.
I myself will miss Mike very much. He has finally lost his battle with cancer and is now in a better place.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Passing of a Interesting Man

Post by john elder »

Sorry to hear, Mike. I only had phone conversations with him and I know he was pushing hard to stay afloat and avidly collecting to the end. He will be missed by the community.

je
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thank You John.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Met Mike P. through ebay , a couple of buys and emails followed. He was friends with some of my friends I have made through collecting fishing reels and he was rignt into Penn reels . He will be missed.