CAFTA show Peterborough June 8

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

CAFTA show Peterborough June 8

Post by Paul M »

FYI - CAFTA is holding a tackle show on Sunday June 8, 2014 in Peterborough, Ontario. If any ORCA members or other reel collectors plan to attend please let me know. Here is a link to the CAFTA show announcement.
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Re: CAFTA show Peterborough June 8

Post by big hoss »

Hi Paul - As you know I'm always looking for great quality Nordic reels - boxed with papers would be great. Keep me in mind at the show - I live and hope... Alastair in NZ.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Alastair, I will keep my eyes peeled for Nordic and all interesting reels. The CAFTA show emphasis is usually on Ontario or Canadian :canada made/marked lures. However on occasion I have managed to find a few nice reels.

Best Regards,
Paul
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The 2014 Spring CAFTA show was well attended with loads of tackle on display. I acquired a few reels but the main reel that caught my eye was not for sale, so I could only come home with pictures. It was a nice German Silver Heddon 3-30 (no serial number):

To my delight, my table display was selected by CAFTA as Best in Show for which I was presented an original oil painting created by deceased CAFTA member, Tom Jinks. Mr. Jinks was known for his carving ability and his artwork. Tom's widow donated the painting to CAFTA a few years ago and it has become the Best Display in Show award. This event was sponsored by Lucky Strike which is a family run business based in Peterborough. Retired owner Bill Edgar was on hand to help present the award, led by CAFTA directors Chris Curtis, Jim Greenaway and Len Wood. It is nice to know that a display with a heavy mix of old reels was honoured by CAFTA. Here are a few pics of my display and me with Chris Curtis and also with Bill Edgar:

Chris Curtis (on left) making the presentation

Me and Bill Edgar (on right).

Two details to note in the last picture are that: (A) I am wearing an ORCA shirt :D to help promote the brand and (B) If you look closely at the painting, the fisherman leaning over the side of the boat is staring face to face with a huge musky! :shock:

A special thanks to my daughter Amanda for helping to set up the display and for minding the tables while I was out reel hunting!
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

Hi and thanks Paul - I'm astounded that you had time to think of my needs with such a lot happening around you. I'm quite pleased I don't collect American made reels as there seem to be way too many choices - curiously my first collector reel was a "Yankee" with about a 3 1/2 inch spool - I still have it, don't need it but I keep it anyway! It is the only American made reel I have. I'm very impressed with your display of reels and lures. What is it about old reels and the like that fascinates us so much? Reels aside, I also collect fishing related figures and other curios - from bottle tops to nuts and bolts fishermen and ceramic fish. (mainly Beswick). Again, thanks Paul
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

WOW! Congratulations Paul, that is quite awesome! :bow: Nice to see you in an ORCA shirt, too. :cool

Tom
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Good going, Paul! Congratulations on the display award and thanks for promoting ORCA!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I may be going to another local tackle show or two this year and would be very happy to display an ORCA placard and/or hand out ORCA brochures if there are a handful that someone could mail to me (Would that be Roger?).

The next CAFTA Annual Fall show & Sale will be held Sunday, Sept 28, 2014, 9:00 am -2:00 pm at the Roadshow's 400 Antiques Mall in Innisfil, Ontario, just south of the City of Barrie. It is about a 90 minute drive north of Toronto, 3 hours drive from Buffalo and about 5 hours drive from Detroit. Note that being the gateway to our northern cottage country, the southbound trip on Sunday afternoon would be quite a bit longer due to returning cottagers, even with a 3 lane highway to Toronto. The CAFTA members usually have room trading the night before at a local hotel/motel TBA. The show should consist of about 50 tables and is open to the public (usually $5 per person unless sponsored like the show last weekend). You have to be a CAFTA member in order to rent display/sale tables. Let me know if any ORCA members or other reel collectors are going.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Paul, you can download the ORCA brochure and print copies for your use here (last link on the bottom): About ORCA.

You can also print out membership applications here: Applications

Contact Roger Schulz about a banner or the graphics for one.

Also, Dale Noll created a slideshow that can be looped on a laptop. I can't email it because it is a 20 mb file so would either need to mail you a CD or use some other means to get it to you.

Maybe you could even have some club items for sale and if you are interested, Roger can help you again. Thanks again for promoting the club!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, Brian. I will follow up. I also received a pic of Kawartha reels including the style I saw, that I have posted under <Reel Talk>.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

More pics Re: CAFTA show Peterborough June 8

Post by Paul M »

More pics from the CAFTA Spring show have been posted on the CAFTA Site. Check out the great fish decoys!