Registration Required

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

Jack Bright, if you have e-mailed me, I never received your e-mails. If they were asking questions, or wanting to contact me about something, I always answer. You are welcome to do so anyting, at . If your e-mails were filtered out, I apologize.

But how would I get personal gain my visiting here? That makes no sense.
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

Sorry, I kept getting error messages, assumed it didn't post.
Last edited by drexelantiques on Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

reelman, I moderated the honesty.com eBay forum, and moderated three of the boards on auctionwatch that discussed eBay problems. while there were more moderators on those boards than here, those boards also had thousands of posts a day.

I also was in charge of all the community boards on Golds.com while it was trying to compete with eBay. To this day I moderate two auctiva boards.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Auctionwatch, which is now Vendio, requires a log on to post a message or start a thread.
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

reelgeezer, I never said it didn't. I was working as an employee at the time. Auctiva also requires registration. But both also have thousands more posts, and users, than here.

I honestly feel the registration requirement has decreased the vitality of this board.

That is my opinion, other folks may have different opinions. I hope that users may continue to express their opinions here.

I think it was decided by just a couple of people, without asking for any input on whether it was necessary from others.

I agree it is easier to moderate, and it makes for a more cordial board, beyond the accusations of a poster above as to my motives for posting here.

But that is the last I am going to say about it since folks have decided to take the fact I disagree and decided to make personal attacks about my motives for posting here. and questioned whether I knew what I was talking about when moderating a chat board.

So the board will either succeed or it won't.

I plan to continue to post here as I feel it still is a valuable tool, hopefully it will continue to be.

I hope there are no hard feelings due to my expressing my opinion, I certainly did not intend to attack anyone, though I do feel that I was so attacked by some for expressing a differing viewpoint.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I'm sure no one here ment to personally attack you

They were just expressing there views as you were also. I do agree that all parties have valid points here has the number of posts decreased possibly, has the number of registered users gone sky high definetly. It is a definite possibility that the email did get filterd out, it happens. In the end we just have to accept the way it is. If the moderators don't want to filter out so many posts they have the right to make registration a requirment. This site is a great tool and if somebody wants to use it they will get around to it until then they can wonder about the reel they have or personally email someone to ask. With all the hazards and strange folk wondering around on the internet these days i think adding a five minute filter to keep them out in the form of registration is complety fine.
I'm a member of several boards online and this site has one of the easiest registration procedures i've come accross yet.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

My TWO cents!

I think registration should be a requirement any time you post or respond to any board. What are you afraid of? If what you have to say is not important enough that you won’t register, then you are wasting your fingers in posting in the first place. I also think your full name and a valid E-Mail address should be included. I agree with Merv, Steve, Phil and all the rest about someone being needed to watch the board and keep the trash off the board. It wasn’t long ago when you brought ’Reel Talk” up, you had to wade thru the ----, *18 and older content* and search engine sites to see the important stuff.
I remember when I first got on line and the place for tackle collectors to go was a board called 'Anglers on Line" or something like that. (It's my feeble mind again) It was a free for all. In fact, it got so bad with the name calling and filth that I hated to even go there and post something. Then came 'Joe's". He made people responsible for their posts and will boot you off if you don't abide by HIS rules. Just look at the amount of hits he gets a day. If I ruled the world, (I kinda like that sound!) not only would you have to register, you would have to use your proper name in doing so. It is a pet peeve and maybe self centered but a nick-name or handle is not my idea of an identity. Nothing bugs me more then to get an e-mail asking me something or telling me something and it is signed by ‘Big Dog” or “Tiny Tim” or something like that. I know, I sign my post with “Harvey” or “H” but at least, you know my first name.
Wow! I guess that Cuban coffee was strong this morning. Maybe I should used this energy to start packing for Lake George! It is quite a job digging out those long pants and the flannel shirts!
Did I hear socks?
Over and out!
Harvey Garrison