part of the thanksgiving feast....

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

part of the thanksgiving feast....

Post by waterbug »

Great lakes White fish from the East Tawas pier... caught them with my Abu cardinal C4 and an older Zebco 6' spinning rod...

We all Meet up at Franks sporting Goods in Linwood Michigan, Mark, Jim and My self... Pick up a bit of tackle and we are off to the pier...
Well we hit the pier at about 7:30 pm and the wind was cranking out of the south west at 20knot or better... we walk to Mark favorite spot on the wall and begin fishing. not 15 min. in mark hooks one and then it off as quick... 20 min. later Mark cousin Chris shows up and joins in...
takes about another 45min to an hour to put the 1st fish over the wall...Jim scores the 1st... then me next with a nice fish... then Chris...
Mark notices that a couple of other fisherman are doing good down the wall and they get good haul and leave... Mark then say let move down...
we fish there for another 2 hours.. and put 22 fish over the wall... and in the process. We broke part of the Net handle loosing 2' of the end, making the netting a chore... we should of have more then 30 fish for the night... and Mark was the Man with close to his limit... score 10 or 11 fish over the wall... I personally had 5 fish and the last one to call it a night leaving at 1:00am... Jim's' personal best of 7 fish, good job Jim... chris left early for work and he had the difference of your catch...

good times and good friends... thanks Mark for the time and a new experience... I will be back... SOON...
pic's of my 5 fish

and the finished project...

I'll be making some dip from some of this smoked whitefish...
yum, yum, yummy
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Post by nomdeplume57 »

Nice catch and good lookin Finished Product. How bout a pic of that Smoker you use?
Capt. Kirk
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Capt. Kirk »

Great story and now I'm hungry. Haven't had smoked white fish for a long time. One of my favorites.
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

Post by waterbug »

nomdeplume57 wrote:Nice catch and good lookin Finished Product. How bout a pic of that Smoker you use?
Nothing special about it... its an Electric Big chief from Lurh Jensen...
Just a long smoke time of 14+ hours 3 pans of hickory chips to get it just right...

I maid up some dip this morning with some of the Smoked whitefish...

2 cups of finely chopped smoked fish
1/2 of medium onion
8oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbl spoons of salad dressing or mayonas...
and a good mix... to combine all ingredients...
chill for 2 hours...

can wait to dip a wheat thin or twiscket in to it...
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice catch and looks like it's going to be an even better meal :D
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Those are excellent fish. I have the same smoker and have smoked Salmon that a friend brought back from Michigan. Curious if you use one of the insulated blankets that they sell as a accessory for the smoker. I have often thought it might help accelerate the process on cold or windy days. I am going to have to try the dip recipe,it sounds great.
waterbug
Frequent Board Poster

Post by waterbug »

BirdDog wrote:Those are excellent fish. I have the same smoker and have smoked Salmon that a friend brought back from Michigan. Curious if you use one of the insulated blankets that they sell as a accessory for the smoker. I have often thought it might help accelerate the process on cold or windy days. I am going to have to try the dip recipe,it sounds great.
yep I use a old sheet and a couple of pieces of burlap... I had an old bed comforter but it got to be a to worn to use any more... don't buy one use an old blanket or something that can breath to let the smoke escape...