Smallmouth, Meisselbachs and Rodeos

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Smallmouth, Meisselbachs and Rodeos

Post by Reel Geezer »

This was the first time we had to suffer through some unusual Idaho weather during our annual Snake River smallmouth excursion. Roger and I launched the boat under a Super Moon on Monday with expectations of super fishing.

It turned out to be a tough 5 days. The weather and the power company that controls the Swan Falls dam 20 miles upstream didn’t cooperate. We were greeted with strong flow resulting in dirty water and lots of floating vegetation. We found fish here and there and finally toward the end of the float Roger picked up a beautiful 17” fish just across from the ramp. The total for the morning was 29 smallmouth.

Tuesday we launched 5 miles downstream and started where we had left off on Monday. We found fish almost immediately and a Zoom Super Fluke fooled this 17.5” smallmouth, which was Roger’s best fish of the week.

A short distance below we found a riffle that was loaded with nice smallies. Roger latched on to this very tank like 17” fish that fought a great fight before being released back into the Snake.

A short time later I connected with this 19 inch fish that turned out to be the biggest of the week. It came from the same riffle. Fifteen other fish were landed from this spot until the sun broke over the canyon wall and the action ended. Fishing was only fair from that point on and we ended with 40 smallmouth for the day.

Wednesday we were chased off the water by the weather. Thunder, lightning, wind and rain won the day and we headed for home around 10:30. The rest of the day was spent telling tall fishing tales and exploring Meisselbach reels. We ended with only 16 fish.

Thursday we found we still had to fight high, dirty water and lots of floating weeds. We were able to bring 19 fish to the boat before we decided to give up for the day. We headed to one of our local rodeos that evening and enjoyed watching the broncs and bulls win the evening. Our Idaho Governor and his wife rode around the arena showing their skill on a horse. I doubt if many other states had a team roping pair like that. They look at home on a horse and wearing a cowboy hat and boots.

Friday was our last chance to leave our mark on some of the Snake River smallies. The river conditions were still not ideal but it was clearing up a bit. We landed 60 fish for the day, with Roger having the best fish at 17 inches. With a bag full of reels and a worn out wrist, Roger flew back to Atlanta on Saturday morning. It was a pretty fine week, even if the river didn’t cooperate to its fullest.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Smallmouth, Meisselbachs and Rodeos

Post by Roger Schulz »

It was a great week of fishing agian. Phil failed to mention that Marilyn does the hardest job in keeping us fed. Again, Fudge was glad to see me. He was not happy fishing in the rain however. I really enjoyed myself even if the fishing wasn't as good as other years. Not many things in life are better than fishing on the Snake River with Phil. Life is good.

I did purchase a few reels from Phil on this trip and a umbrella. The umbrella belonged to Gus Meisselbach and is engraved "A.F. Meisselbach/Newark, N.J." Needless to say that I will not be using it in the rain. Not sure what I am going to tell my wife when she sees this purchase.

Roger
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

When your wife sees it, you say"oh I bought that old thing sometime back." As usual great pics for those of us who only dream of such fishing.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

I've heard it said that a bad day fishing is better than a good day working. You guys seem to support that.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Robyn

I don't know which is more fun, fishing or buying reels. Oh, I did both.

Roger
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Roger and I were going to try that, but Fudge ate all the hot dogs.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Sewer fishing won't be so much fun when he hooks a muskrat and it grabs a finger when blindly sticks his hand into that inlet. :shock:
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Good eating, too! The fish, I mean.
Mark