gratuitous fish story

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

gratuitous fish story

Post by Ron Mc »

In south Texas, the white bass spawning runs are ending. I had a good month - it's always tougher in wet years. My best morning was Good Friday, out an hour before sunup, and filleted 16 fish at 9am. It was an awesome morning, fished the moonset, and a fog bank rolled in at sunrise. When the clouds broke, we were done.
I was fishing a rebuilt South Bend 469, a 7' 7-wt. with a Teeny T200 sinker. The rod shoots like a rocket but feels like a graphite 4-wt. when you're hooked up. Also a shooting basket and a Bronson multiplier.
I was watching Bronson multipliers for a few months after a very nice boxed one passed me up at $45 and went on to double that. I let many pass at $30 or so. I grabbed a $10 one that was listed as noisy, but the paint was in great shape. At the same time, one that looked a little better took all the heat and bid to $50. The noise was wear on the bushing face beneath the drive gear. I went through a series of washers to shim it and found it in a thin, thin composite washer - smooth as silk. The handle rivet was splayed and I made it solid by laying a ring of JB weld on the inside.
To catch white bass, an 80' cast from a stripping basket is a big bonus. They follow a streamer forever, and finally hit at your feet. When you happen upon them charging up the river, pushing a shad school, with the schooling largemouths following, they slash at everything. But when they've settled into pods and harems, you see hundreds of fish, but nobody can get a strike. Then it's really technical, and that's what I love. Slowly bounce the bottom, change your strips constantly, they will barely pick it up when it's sitting still. Then when they hit at your feet, you've got 80' of tangled line to get them on the reel - I throw it in the river and let the current straighten it out. The multiplier zips it up in a few seconds.
Heck of a deal for $10.
Ron Mc

and for the rest of you:

do you guys like flies?
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

thanks

Post by joe klaus »

very enjoyable stoy, and the pics were especially nice. Let's have more of these.
reels4me

White Bass

Post by reels4me »

Ron--The fog shot in the river, especially nice, who did it ? Or self timer?
Are the white bass a distinct species or like our(up north) silver bass?
Go on their spawning runs around 1st week in May then disappear, never
heard they were good eating, average size 10 to 15 inches?, feed basically
on minnows ? And mainly in rivers ? Horizontal striping, how many?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: White Bass

Post by Ron Mc »

reels4me wrote:Ron--The fog shot in the river, especially nice, who did it ? Or self timer?
Are the white bass a distinct species or like our(up north) silver bass?
Go on their spawning runs around 1st week in May then disappear, never
heard they were good eating, average size 10 to 15 inches?, feed basically
on minnows ? And mainly in rivers ? Horizontal striping, how many?
Bound to be the same fish, morone crysops. There are sub-species including yellow bass, but this one of only two species in the family Percichthyidae, which includes the striped bass (m. saxatilis endemic to coastal waters).
They used to be roccus crysops, which I like better.

They spawn when the water hits 65o. Here that corresponds with the first redbuds to the last bluebonnets. Redbuds drive me crazy. I bought my first flyrod for these fish and that 30-ahem years ago. Our runs can be spread out and always are in wet years, with the first males caught in February, and the last ones in late April. The run at Lake Whitney near DFW is usually after Easter and may last into May. There, it's mostly stripers caught in knee-deep water.

We get very concentrated runs after dry winters, the run will happen with the first warm rain. My best time ever was when you had to hike 3 miles down the reservoir to find the first rapid, the fish were really pinched, and I - seriously - caught 50 fish on consecutive casts. A really good year averages about 10 fish per hour. When the lake is high and the fish can run up and down easily, 10 fish in a half-day is good.

White bass are fecund, with the females laying 10,000 eggs. The fish live 3 years and are grouped by size. 7" yearlings, 10"-12" 2-year olds, 14"-16" 3-y-o. Occasionally, a male will live into the 4th year - 19" to 20" and 5 lbs or so - I've caught 5 of these in my life.

BTW, this is what I do, and is my favorite fishing bar none.

Oh yeah, my buddy took the photo.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

:lol: Nice story, but if i didn't know better i'd think you were trying to rub it in to us poor suckers that live in the ice age. We have to wait another 2 weeks for Trout season to open and 2 months for Bass. Just jealous i guess. I'll go sit in my basement and sulk while i stare at my reels. :roll: :loco: Canadian
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

http://www.grtu.org
Tony, our trout "season" is almost over - not that we really have a season, but by May the tubers have completely taken over the tailrace making it almost impossible to fish. Trout fishing was mostly a bust this winter because the flows in our tailrace were huge. There are many big rainbows and browns in the river, though.
I get spoiled in Texas - there's great fishing year-round.

oh and BTW r4m, white bass have many common names, sand bass (sandies - my favorite), and "striped bass" and "stripers" in the midwest and southeast - to be confused with stocked m. saxatilis which now share most warm waters with the sandies.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Our rivers have been running 8, 10, 40 cfs. Have only had a few good rains in a year-and-a-half.

We got our rain this week. My favorite river - bright clear - crested at 3000 cfs two days ago and has dropped back down to 100 cfs. I'm heading out in a half-hour with my Phillipson Expert.

A larger river, closer to home, crested at 30,000 cfs and has fallen back to 2000. I'll give it a couple of weeks, but it should have great white bass fishing until the end of April.

these fish are fecund, so this is my meat-fishing event of the year.
BTW, I only fillet the little males
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sounds like something said by this woman I used to date :shock: Nice string, Ron.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's why God created Texas.

19 fish on the stringer, all males, all 12-14". I released 11 others.

So, let's see, I sold the South Bend rod and I donated the Bronson reel to the fiberglass fly rodder's board for auction. This year I'm fishing a 1964 Phillipson Expert E80 rod with a JW Young 1505 multiplier.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Fly rod and wading

Post by Jack Bright »

Ron--I`ve heard the Guadalupe River somewhere near the hill country
in SW TX is good for smallmouth, you ever fish it ?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Looks like fun Ron!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Jack, at its closest point, the Guadalupe River is 4 miles from my house.
Since I could first drive, I've fished every bridge from here to where it first comes out of the ground.

Brian, my hands are sore today from catching fish.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

hey, my mama didn't raise no dummies.

In fact, I was so smart I gave her all those white bass fillets.

Just got back from the fish fry, with hush pupies and strawberry shortcake.