Smallmouth Bass in Michigan on Memorial day!

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Smallmouth Bass in Michigan on Memorial day!

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Smallmouth Bass in Michigan on Memorial Day at least that's what I think they are Image
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Smallmouth Bass in Michigan on Memorial day!

Post by john elder »

Ha!....Yes, VERY small mouths, Bill! Hope you got those on light tackle! could still make for serious fun!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Skin them, score 'em a bit & fry 'em up, Bill. They may not jump as much but pull a lot harder and taste way better, when cooked correctly, than any ol' brownie. :fished Them are a couple of biggen's, I'll bet the fight was fun! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I control the water level in our lake. It got too high a week or so ago and we pulled the boards that hold back the water. Carp go downstream from the lake this time of year to spawn in some of the flooded fields. Our water dropped 6 inches in the past few days so I put the boards back in on Sunday morning. Carp sense the falling water level and head upstream immediately. I checked at 3:30 in the afternoon and they were lined up like cordwood, unable to make it all the way across the riffles to the dam. I called my friend who came down immediately and quickly speared nine big ones. He buries one under each of his tomato plants. Boy do those tomatoes grow! The two I held up in the picture measured 34 inches long each. Felt like they weighed 20 pounds as I was struggling after a few seconds to keep them up.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Bill, wouldn't you have loved to have competed with one of those with a 25N?

The lake I live on was seeded with sterile grass carp several years back to keep the vegetation in control. Caught a 36" on a light spinning rig surface fishing for bass last year. When I hooked into this one I thought I had the world record bass on. May have been a carp, but what a battle and what fun!

Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Warren always tells of the time he hooked a very large Grass Carp on a Zara Spook. Tremendous fight. As I recall the hooks finally straightened out. That reminds me, I picked up an early Baby Lucky 13 at the Effingham show and after waterproofing it put on new Mustad trebles. Took it fishing for the first time two days ago. No bass, but the biggest Bowfin I have seen exploded on it (I estimate close to 15 pounds). Talk about strong, after a short but violent fight I reeled in my 1920's bait with the new hooks straightened out--LOL
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Bill, you must write an autobiography. It will be about 10 volumes.
BTW I am still bummed you aren’t coming to Harpers Ferry. Now I have to hang out with Elder.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

you must have done something bad Betty in a former life you are paying for now -- LOL
Patrick Z
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Patrick Z »

In NE Arkansas, bowfin were called commonly grinnel, but the higher minded anglers referred to them as cypress trout.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, we survived without you, Bill, but not nearly as much fun! Good thing about hanging with Betty is that she does NOT have alligator arms! Don’t think I picked up a tab the whole week! Thanks again to all who made it such a fun time.

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures