I guess this is show & tell...

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

I guess this is show & tell...

Post by Reel Geezer »

It's not really reel talk, for I am unaware of the tackle used, but maybe some of our readers are not aware of the 25 pound 1 ounce largemouth bass caught yesterday.
It was caught in Dixon lake near San Diego. However, the fish was foul hooked just below the dorsal fin, so there is doubt it will be accepted for the record book. The fish was released, and is back swimming in the lake. Just imagine the crowds fishing that lake this weekend.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

that's Helen...those..ahem.. nest/sight "fishermen" have caught her at 18, 20, and 21 lbs before this! I hope someone actually makes an honest catch one of these days. I know my Dad would have kicked my butt for shooting that "sittin' rabbit".
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

where was I with my Henshall rod?
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

Here is what I have heard, please correct me if I am wrong.

Basically this is a small feedlot lake, the bass are fed trout fingerlings to fatten them up. The lake is used to test/create unnatural growth rates.

To me, that just doesn't equal George Perry's accomplishment where he was fishing for a wild largemouth.

The fish was foul hooked, which made it not a catch by California law.

IGFA makes reference to intentional vs unintentional foul hooking, but also require anglers to meet the laws wherever they are fishing.

The fish was never weighed on certified scales, nor was it weighed on dry land. State biologists or etc. never examined the fish.

To me all that ads up to way too much uncertainty, and if the IGFA had certified the catch, it would have been ridiculed, harming both the IGFA and the sport.

The angler has decided that due to the controversy he will not submit it for record certification, kudos to him.

I would have done the same.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

well, so you don't think they were feeding them like the geese they use for foie gras, dixon is not huge, but of reasonable size. It is a recreational lake and is stocked with trout...not to feed the bass, but the fishermen...the bass just have a ball making a harvest when the trout arrive.

As i understand it, the fish was weighed on a proper scales, but no girth or length measurements were taken. they knew to do this, but due to the foul hook issue, the fish was released without further handling.

We'll see her again, probably before the year is out, considering the money involved.