Record Bass?

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Hey Alan

Post by Teal »

Alan,

Since you went bass fishing in California today, did you catch a 25-pound largemouth? What's the word on that monster taken out of Dixon Lake?

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif

Wonder if he used a Langley reel...

Cheers,

Dr. Todd
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Bill, The group of reels that you mention from the 1950's, and early 1960's are interesting to say the lease. I was lucky enough to live close to a large city lake 30 years ago that had plently of Shad, a program that stocked the lake well, plus; the lake had wonderful weedbeds. During the 1970's I fished and played with many of the reels you mention. One of the problems I ran into with Langley's and other reels like the Red Nobby was having the reel handle knocked out of my hand by a strike from a bass coming out of the weedbeds. The reel that I started using was the Coxe # 95. I would take a handle off a #30 or # 10 Coxe and put it on the #95. This provided for a much better grip. The Coxe # 95 was a smooth reel that would give you the distance to reach most of the weedbeds. Also, I put a half ring from a Shakespeare Sportscast on the back plate to keep the Coxe from cutting into my hand. The Coxe # 94 might have worked even better, but at the time I could not locate one to buy.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Dr. Todd,

The huge largemouth just caught near San Diego is actually not a surprise to me. As a young Fisheries Biologist working for the California Department of Fish and Game in the early 1970s, we initiated 2 stockings in Southern California. The first was the Alabama strain spotted bass that was placed in Perris Reservoir, a new lake in Riverside County, in 1973. I was the biologist in charge of the lake at the time, met the Department plane that had gone to Alabama to get the fish and released them into the reservoir. Spotted bass grew like crazy in that new environment and within a few years several fish challenged the world record for that species.

The other stocking that was done was the Florida strain largemouth bass in several San Diego lakes in the late 1960s, among them Upper and Lower Otay. A world record was always predicted, and now these many years later it seems to have happened. Florida bass wern't actually very popular at first, anglers complained they were harder to catch than regular bass, but new techniques took care of that.

Both Alabama spotted and Florida largemouth bass are found in many areas of California today. Thanks for asking and allowing me to remember how I helped.

Alan
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Willis,variety is the spice of life!

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Willis, it just goes to show that We are all different. I grew up using a Cox 30C. In fact I caught my largest Ohio farm pond bass on one 30 years ago next month. Later, I used the Cox 25 but eventually went to Shakespeare's and Nobby's because once my hand got wet, I was always having those darn Cox handle knobs slip out of my hands when a fish hit! I'm glad to know the Cox handles suited somebody out there. The other handle that really gave me fits was the small green aluminum handle on the Shakespeare 1973D's. They bent into all sorts of wierd shapes when I would come back hard on an unexpected strike by a bass. They were later beefed up on the 1973A's and with good reason.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

OK Gentlemen: If you are not using Power Gator Grips on a new reel that is not going to back up on you. What do you like? Using the old stuff that was Fast and Clean--and hurt like %$#*[at] when that big Bass busted it out of your hand,
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Hi

Post by Teal »

Alan,

Thanks for sharing, you have a neat history and it was cool reading about it. Those Florida strain largemouth are just gigantic, they must have taken to local feed food extremely well. Are they fattening up on shad?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

They are fattening up on stocked rainbow trout.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Ah

Post by Teal »

Phil,

Hmm. Stocked bass feeding on stocked trout. No wonder they are getting so big!

BTW check on Dan Basore's post on Joe's, his friend is a fishing show host and says the fish will NOT be submitted for a record.

Cheers,

Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Since I posted the story about this fish, with photo, the day after it was caught on the following page, maybe we should continue the discussion on that thread, rather than on a Langley Lurecast thread. Maybe Brian will move these posts to this thread.

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=3272
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Couldn't tack it onto the previous thread (or at least I don't know how yet) but had to start a new one. So have at it! Do they have these in Lake Lonely, NY?