Heddon and Meek

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Heddon and Meek

Post by Ron Mc »

8' No. 14 Thorobred 1-3/4f
Meek 55

Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Nice Rainbow. Did you catch that one recently? Trout Season Closed here at the end of september. thats usually when i stop fishing because trout are by far my favorite...if its still open down there i'm packing the car :D
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Farace »

Very pretty, both the tackle and the trout. I showed it to my four-year-old son, who I'm teaching to recognize a trout.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

caught that yesterday.
nice thing about Texas, fishing is 12 mo/yr.
Our trout "season" is in the winter. Not dictated by legislation, but by when the tubers let us get in the river.
we have the southermost tailrace trout fishery in the US
www.grtu.org
we also happen to the the single largest TU chapter and the 3rd largest TU state council.

I was fishing a spot in our tailrace yesterday where the state had dropped off their trout pond leftovers from an expo about 3 weeks ago. Moved upriver and found the pod fish. Caught a dozen of these little guys in no time. I'll probably go exploring to check for holdovers next weekend - but it was a bad year with this drought. I believe only a few deeper spring vents will have held over fish.
You wouldn't believe the hatches I saw yesterday. BWO's and tricos were coming off all morning - two sizes of caddis, 14 yellow and 18 black, then size 8 yellow hex starting to hatch when I left.

I was fishing a size 16 Guadalupe prince (modified with pheasant fiber tail and antron wing case) as an attractor, and my dropper was a size 20 swimming BWO nymph. Pretty easy tactic - find the pod fish - let it sink, then swing and add a little action. They hit like a train.

while I usually fish the tailrace once/month during the summer, we've mostly avoided it this year so the trout that found places to survive wouldn't be overly stressed.
Our normal flows are 250-350 cfs thorugh the summer, which will maintain 12 to 16 miles of trout. This year, we were down to 45 cfs for much of the summer.

I hope to find some big fish over the next few weeks. My best in the tailrace is 26 inches. Before the 2002 flood, 20-inch fish were becoming the norm. We started over with that, and I'm afraid we'll be starting over again after this year's drought. I caught a half-dozen 5-lb. fish last winter.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Beauties!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Ron: That is a really sweet rod and reel combo and a nice rainbow. Thanks for sharing the fish tale. I had to pretty much give up trout fishing here in Mass. in early September, between too many demands at work, too little rain - then too much rain - and now cold weather has set in. Might give it one more try this weekend, with temps in the 40s and sun predicted. Thanks for sharing all this. It's almost like being there.
5 pound trout? Wowser!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's the Heddon with a Young 2A.
Caught 17 of these in about four hours yesterday on wetflies