trout stocking

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

trout stocking

Post by Ron Mc »

I know trout season is over in most of the country, but we just started up here with cooling fall weather. Our tailrace fishes great all through the winter, with February and March as just about the best months.
The Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam is the southernmost tailrace trout fishery in the US. www.grtu.org Our normal guarantee flows keep 12 to 16 miles of trout alive thorugh the summers, with 12 mo/yr fishing. However drought flows went into effect this summer, and we know we lost most of our fish. We've started over a few times, usually because of floods.
We put a load of trout in the river today, and here are some photos I took - there's a bit of extra attention on my two girls, of course.
It's always an event (we stock 3 or 4 times through the winter) - we make every effort to make it friendly to families.
And we were happy to get fish in the river.
click on slideshow
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Tex. Streams

Post by Jack Bright »

Sisterdale and Turtle creek sure look like great water to fish, and no winters
to endure. Thanks Ron for a nice weather break.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Tex. Streams

Post by Ron Mc »

Jack Bright wrote:Sisterdale and Turtle creek sure look like great water to fish, and no winters
to endure. Thanks Ron for a nice weather break.
you can read water Jack.
both of those places used to be the best-kept secrets in the state for good fishing holes. Now they get so much attention one access is about to be made into a county part, and the other is a future state park.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's what Taylor gets for paying her dues by hauling those buckets at the stocking.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Hello down there Ron:

Wonderful stuff you folks are doing down there, and beautiful photos too! But this one is special.

Our daughter, who has lived in northern Germany for twenty years, and now has two teenage daughters of her own, has fond memories of trout fishing and camping up and down the west coast when she was a youngster. Erin loved doing what you are teaching your children to do, and those memories will be with her always.

You are setting a fine example for your young people Ron. Well done.

Jim
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

my younger daughter is also Erin.