Bonefish & Barracuda

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Bonefish & Barracuda

Post by Brian F. »

A recent evening that my surfcasting club took in for a trip after some bonefish (oio) and barracuda (the smaller variety, called kawelea in Hawaiian). This is a place adjacent to one of the more famous sight seeing spots around Oahu, Halona Blow Hole.

Blow Hole is to the left, out of the picture frame. We do a short hike down the cliff and fish from that farthest point towards the open ocean into about 40-60 feet deep water.

There are about 50-60 pole holders drilled into the rock. Fish through the evening into the wee hours of the morning tossing out octopus legs or squid strips.

Heller's Barracuda or Kawelea - we use dead big eye scad or mackeral for bait on treble hooks.

Even a plug like me can snare a few! A 3 lb something bonefish or oio in Hawaiian. The biggest for the eve was almost 7 lbs. A lot of them have been coming up around the island and the biggest I've heard of so far is 16 lbs. The few flyfishermen here that brave the wind and surf are probably having a blast!

While a lot of bonefish are caught on the many reef flats around the islands, they are regularly caught by surfcasters in very deep water also. Flyfishermen come here and it blows their minds!

Happy Holidays everyone!
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Hello out there Brian:

Wonderful photos. When you folks go surf fishing over there, you don't fool around! Almost looks like a combined "Iron man-angler's test". And it is neat to see the specialized techniques that you have developed to adapt to your enviornment. Certainly looks like you enjoy your sport, and that's great.

We have also fished in some areas in northern California that look quite similar (although not volcanic), mostly for rock cod and pearch. Obviously, safety is the FIRST consideration, and at my advancing march twords geezerdom (yesterday was my 67th BD), I am more inclined to look for the more geezer friendly spots!

Here in the northwest, we are blessed with some great rivers with many good shore access areas from which we can harass salmon, steelhead and trout. By "we", I'm including my wife (and our two canine companions) who love to go fishing. But I think even Chris would draw the line at climbing down a steep cliff at night. You folks win the brave angler award.

Jim