trout with shoulders

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

trout with shoulders

Post by Ron Mc »

We've been worried that the drought this summer killed every fish in the tailrace. Drought flows were down to 40 cfs for most of the summer. I always expect there are deep spring vents where some fish will summer over no matter what. Also expect that when we stock again in the winter, these will come back up into the fray.
Out with my daughter this morning, and hooked this 20" fish on a soft hackle and my Heddon 14 1-3/4f - 10 miles below the dam. Caught several 5-lbers here last year. (my best on the river is 26" from Apr '02)
This is a poacher-rife area, and I was very happy to find this hen holding over. My daughter was handy with the camera. She caught the first fish of the day.

not bad for south Texas.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Way to go, Ron...

Not bad for the Pacific Northwest either. Beautiful trout.

Jim
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

caught a few nice fish so far this winter - this one's 19"

here's a 17"er
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3800946423
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Hello down there Ron:

Those are some very nice looking rainbows. And your winters are sure different than ours here in the Pacific Northwest! As you might guess, we're getting soaked at the moment.

There's a good reason why Washington is called the Evergreen State! Enjoy your fishing.

Jim
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

matching the hatch

Post by Ron Mc »

this is a native

snuck out this afternoon and fished the tailrace.
I caught 6 trout and a spotted bass on bwo emergers.
But the highlight of my day was a 20+ inch redhorse sucker, also on the bwo emerger.
This fish fights like a 25" rainbow (sans aerials)
It was all over the river and I thought it was going into the backing downriver, but I clamped the spool, turned it, and it charged me with everything it had. And that wasn't the end...

(I did hook that same 19" rainbow that's in the photo just above, but like a dummy thought I was snagged and pulled too hard - the fish came straight up but it was too late, the fly was in my face)