Spring Break Pictures

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Spring Break Pictures

Post by Robin Sayler »

Most people went to florida or mexico but three brave souls from michigan technological university went up to nothern ontario for some ice fishing. We had no power or running water for a week but it had to be the most big fish i've seen.

the first day i caught a 40 incher.

Then less than one hour later my girlfriend heather caught a 37 incher.

All in All the first day was pretty darn good heres the fish we brought home that night the biggest northern in the picture is about 27 inches, we threw back all the big ones.

Day 2 wasn't bad but we didn't catch alot of fish just some small walleyes but we did do alot of exploring which is fun in itself.

Day 3 we went lake trout fishing and slayed them. We caught a total of 13 lakers between the 3 of us, here are the 6 that came home.

Day 4 Some nice pike were caught including a 35 inch and a 37 inch.

Day 5 I caught a nice pike probably just over 36 inches but the ruler was frozen so i just let him go.

Day 6 This was our last day fishing and i figured i had gotten the biggest fish of the trip when late in the afternoon my buddy dan pulled this monster in. This one is 42 inches!

All in all it was probably the best ice fishing i've ever seen. We didn't have any problems with the snowmobile or the truck so it was a great time.

Oh and we drank a little beer. Thats most of it all the bottles didn't fit on the stack.

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Heather's a keeper cool-thumb
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Yes she is! If i'm not careful she can outfish me some days. The last day we went trout fishing in northern wisconsin she caught 7 and i only got 2.
She hunts too! :D
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

now women with guns are scary

when I take my wife to the pistol range, she always out-shoots me.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

that is a little bit scary. Same thing here i taught here how to shoot a few years ago and now she's a crack shot. :D
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

You are making me nostalgic for the north country. Your pics remind me of the birthdays of my youth (March 21) in Duluth, MN where there was always three feet of snow and bright, sunny skies. Little dodgy ice fishing but more than once we managed it that late.

It appears you don't need to be reminded that you are living through special times and should enjoy every minute of it. I don't believe you posted a single pic without a big grin on your face.

My 80-something year old dad has the best advice: fish more, worry less.

Keep the pics coming! And may your search for the elusive Akron be fruitful.

--Dr. Todd
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Good afternoon young friend:

You folks are definitely enthusiasts...and hearty ones at that! No wimps in your crew. And your young lady is a first rate fisher...and a good sport to boot.

Wonderful photos. They look like they could have come straight out of Pflueger's magazine ads from the 1930s. You done good Robin. Way to go.

Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Now that there's fishin' - "hard core", we like to say! Couple 'a beach chairs, umbrella, throw some sand around - I'd be good to go.

What the heck kind of lures are those? They look like squids - toobs? Forgot to say, nice fish! I like 'em bigger than my arm!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Unless the weather gets colder up here it looks like those will be the last fish i catch until may...not a bad way to end the season. Definetly more fun than heading south and sitting around by water. My grandparents got me addicted on Canada so i go every chance i get.

I got an email from my friend who runs the camp up there and apparently i almost got stranded for a few days. The day after we left they go so much snow that the highways closed down, that would have been tough i guess i would have had to fish to stay warm for the extra days. :D

Brian, the lure on the left fishing pole is a simple white tube jig that we tip with a minnow head. For some reason the trout go nuts over this simple set up. The pole on the right is mine and i used an airplane jig tipped with a full minnow. I caught the most that day but usually the tube jig outfishes most things.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

The North Woods in May is the place to be. Fall isn't bad either when you can both fish one day and hunt grouse the next. Namekagon and the lakes around Hayward are my favorites--I've got a 28.5" walleye mount on the front porch from Upper Eau Claire. But I think I'll leave the ice fishing to you hardier guys!

(Other) Robyn
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

May just might be my favorite month all year. Not only does trout fishing in inland streams open up (thats my favorite) Its when turkey hunting is. This spring i drew a tag for the same week as my final exams, so far i've managed to get 3 of 5 rescheduled apparently turkey hunting is a valid excuse to most teachers. I still need to work on my other 2 otherwise i will only get 2 days to hunt.