A morning in God's Country

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

A morning in God's Country

Post by Ron Mc »

Last Sunday, I took my church fly fishing group out to fish my favorite water in TX. (we're not so bad, we go to Sat. Nite church)
I guess I had told many people - if you ever hear me say 55 Ranch, you don't want to miss it.
So, I took 13 of my closest and/or newest friends fishing.
I've been fishing this water for 35 years.
Three years ago, the county removed the the public right of way from all roads following or crossing the river
- they took 7 crossings away from us.
All is not lost.
One day when the constable ran us off, I headed straight to the basse block house on the hill (sorry, my camera
was dead when we dropped by at the end of the morning to thank our hosts - I wanted to show you the house).
The ranch was founded in 1855 (the Comanchees probably weren't very happy about it) and the house was built in 1912.
Marble block two story, full overhangs,
14-foot ceilings. No A/C - they're from here.
I told them what I just told you - I've been fishing here 35 years - I pick up garbage every time I show up.
He handed me his card and told me to call any time. But I use it as a trump card, because I don't want to abuse
this priviledge or the fish.
We drive through the gate and park by the river - far from the road where passers by won't suspect anything.
You know, I can't complain. If I could only keep one of those 7 crossings, this would be it.
People used to bring their barbecue grills and crap on their land.
The fishing has improved.
I caught 25 of his siblings today.
And everybody caught fish - many fish. I know they're small, but they live in the chutes and that gives them a
lot of fight on light tackle.
So when I was planning this trip and swapping e-mails with our host, here was her reply
Yes, that will be fine. Thank you for the prayers. Please pray for rain for our crops. Last year we didn't make anything because of too much rain.
You will find the river low for this time of the year. I have been praying psalm 65:9-13 out loud at night for Charlie to be in agreement with.
We have come a long way. 5 years ago he never would have listened.
Brenda
I mentioned friends - my favorite competitor (and favorite heathen), Jimbo, was with us.
He did a lot of this - OK - I did, too.
But I guess I was happy - even though he caught 19 bluegill and 20 spotted bass
I was very happy with my 26 spotted bass and 2 bluegill (plus I was following him downriver)
We prayed over their land before we got in the river.
We prayed for rain and their crops again when we got out
(even two years ago, when we prayed for 0.40" rain to sprout their fall oats, they got exactly 0.040" rain - the only place in TX in the middle of a drought)
It was also nice having full access to the bank - made coming 2 miles back upriver a whole lot easier

Monday morning, I found this e-mail from Brenda:
It started raining about 20 minutes ago. I even heard thunder. Charlie is already sleeping so I hope it rains slow all night long and he'll have such a surprise. God is never too late.
BGS
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

This is why I love Texas. Great post, Ron.

-- Dr. Todd
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

graphics

Post by Jack Bright »

That Man up there sure knows how to put things together
those gnarly roots, the soft beauty of it all, well captured
Ron, sure was an Army of anglers tho`.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I loaned out 2 nice glass rods to newbies - a System 5 and Fullflex A.
we spread across 3 miles of river and we could have kept going - we ran out of time before we ran out of river.
(we had 4 radios the church bought for us)
People were also catching fish right behind others. I was following Jimbo down for the 28 I caught - of course I was
fishing the chutes with a sinking line, and he was fishing the flats with a floater - we were a good compliment.
Because of high flows last year, we haven't fished this water in 18 mo - with the new ordinance, it just doesn't get hit.
when we fished it 18 mos. ago, there were 3 of us and I caught 70 spotted bass.
I passed up all of that water, took some photos, and started where I left off last time.