Just returned from bass fishing in Mexico...

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Dan Basore
Frequent Board Poster

Just returned from bass fishing in Mexico...

Post by Dan Basore »

Just returned from the trip that kept me from the ORCA Annual meet. The word was that it was hot in Mexico and all the guides were catching on Huites were scattered smaller bass.

After confirming this the first morning with about 20 up to 2 pounds including bass on a jointed Creek Chub Darter in silver flash and especially a 30 year old R/W Cordell Boy Howdy the shallows were eliminated as a place to fish for big ones.

As we motored up the lake the camp owner motioned for us to join him on a big flat where he was catching them and we took bass up to 4 pounds on jigs, worms and spoons. After lunch I returned to this general area and searched for the deep water near by. In the old river bed the depth finder lit up with fish of all sizes from 20 to 60 feet.

We went to the ledge of the river that dropped from 20 feet and began to pound big fish from 4 to 8 pounds but couldn't stay on the hot spot. At lunch markers were made from water bottles fishing line and small sections of conduit.

For the rest of the week it was game on with 100 to 200 bass per day up to a couple of 10 pounders. Next winter Dick Streater and I hope to take a bunch of old tackle collectors with us. His last trip he got an 11-2 on an old saltwater Zara Spook.

Meals are fantastic and so are the guides and accomodations. There wer only the 5 fishing boats from our camp on the whole 20,000 acre lake. Let me know if your interested and I'll send you more information.

Dan