It's Been a Good Week so far -

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

It's Been a Good Week so far -

Post by Reel Geezer »

The Snake River is finally getting into summer clarity and fish patterns. I have been catching quite a few smallmouth and channel cats, but it has been very hit or miss. This week things turned on. On Monday I wore out my arm as I probably caught 75 fish. They were all between 10-15", however, with nothing that I would call a really good fish. It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed it greatly. Yesterday I tried another stretch of the river and hit a bunch of fish on a flat that was probably 100 yards long and 50 yards wide with heavy current on both sides. I could see the fish rising to the hordes of dead floating insects. I sat on that flat for about 90 minutes and caught around 30-40 fish. They ran 10-16 inches. I did catch one channel cat of about 5-6 pounds as well. I was beginning to wonder where the big fish were, however.

Today I tried another area - one that I really don't like because there are houses along one side of the river, the ramp is terrible, and there always seems to be someone living in a tent or broken down trailer under the one tree in the sagebrush where I like to park my truck.
I was picking up fish here and there as I drifted downstream (I always run my boat up 3-4 miles and fish back to the ramp). I hit a nice run that led to a hole and caught several decent fish when I hung this very nice river smallie on a white spinnerbait I've been making for 30 years. This fish was 19.5" long and was very strong in the current.
I ran back up above the run and dropped my four drag chains to slow me down and made another run. After catching a few smaller fish, I hooked into another dandy in the same spot. This one was 19" long.
Today I found some bigger fish and had a great time. I just wish the people using the access area would clean up their act and haul out their garbage so I didn't have to do so for them.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Sorry to hear about the landing phil, However that is a very nice fish. Bet you were as tired as him when he got to the boat that must have been a heck of a fight.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Hey Phil, Do you ever run into any sturgeon that far up the Snake? I know they like deep holes and proper baits and presentation. It just seems that catfish and sturgeon might be caught in the same area on the same bait. I lived in Portland for 5-6 years fishing the Columbia below Bonneville Dam and the Willamette near the falls in Oregon City and caught my share of them, but never accidentally caught one while fishing for something else. They are a unique fish. For their size, I doubt there is a lighter biter on the smaller fish, that is until you start dealing with 7-10 foot long fish that eat whole 3-5 pound shad stitched inside out to resemble a football in shape and size. There is no mistaking one of those.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

There are still quite a few sturgeon up to 12' in this stretch of the Snake River. I have never tried for them specifically, and have never caught one. Most of the guys fishing for them fish about 40 miles above where I am bass fishing. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, one of my favorite areas to fish was considered a prime sturgeon hole in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I imagine there might still be a fish or two in that hole. I'll be there in about an hour, if the thunder I hear rolling around in the dark ceases.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

That is one big bronzeback. I have fished largemouths in Southern Calif since the late 60's and the speed and strength of my first smallmouth in NW quickly taught me they are NOT the same and are in no way comparable. A fish like your smallie is equivalent to a 10-15lb largemouth and in the river current I bet the battle wasn't decided in the First round. The smallies never quit fighting...
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Nice fish Phil! I'm also glad you're one of those persons who pick up after the SLOBS. I've done that for years when bank fishing. It doesn't get you much attention but it's like Charlie Brown said; "It's like wetting yourself while wearing dark pants. You get a warm feeling but nobody notices".
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Looks like a great place to fish - I cant think of a river here in central Ohio where the fishing is that good or produces that large of smallmouths. By the way , where I can I get a Meisselbach shirt like your wearing? Thanks! Jeff
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jeff Johnson wrote:Looks like a great place to fish - I cant think of a river here in central Ohio where the fishing is that good or produces that large of smallmouths. By the way , where I can I get a Meisselbach shirt like your wearing? Thanks! Jeff
Jeff, Before ORCA had their Conventions and T shirts made for them I had several series of reel collector T shirt made that I sold at NFLCC meets. We had 2-3 Meisselbach shirts and some general "Welcome to the Reel World" and "A Reel Shirt" models in several colors available. When ORCA came out with T shirts, I closed out my shirts at a couple of shows and on line and then kept all the leftover Large and X-Large for myself. I still have about 10-15, but all have been worn. In fact I have a "A Reel Shirt" on at this minute.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Well Im sorry I missed out on those I would have loved to have one. I would have thought those reel specific shirts would have sold easy, I mean where else could you get one. Meisselbach doesnt seem to be very popular anymore (on Ebay at least unless you have an okeh in the box) but I can only imagine if making up a Pflueger Reels or Vom Hofe Reels shirt a guy would sell hundreds of those. Thanks, Jeff