Monster Bass

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Speaking of "bass on steroids" I'm not sure how many of our readers follow bass fishing news enough to know about the bass that was just caught in Japan. It is larger than George Perry's world record:
http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk.asp?id=6479
hurdpete
Advanced Board Poster

world record bass

Post by hurdpete »

:shock: That one ought to make Todd's blog!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Are bass native to Japan? And if not, where did the brood stock come from? I have heard of bass in Cuba that could easily beat GP's record.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Biwa, stocked with Florida-strain largemouths several decades ago, has long been a focal point in the quest for a new world record. It's the largest freshwater lake in Japan, and unconfirmed reports from commercial fisherman have pointed to the presence of world-record-class bass in Biwa. Not surprisingly, a small group of Japanese big-bass hunters work Biwa, much like the posses who haunt the Southern California lakes. It's believed that the Biwa fish was caught by one of the lake's big-bass hunters.
(From way down the page on Geezer's link)
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Bass in Japan are considered an "invasive species". You are not allowed to "catch and release" bass in lake Biwa and many other lakes there. You must kill the fish no matter what size they are. I have read reports that Japanese bass anglers do release their fish, however, for their law makers did not stipulate a penalty for releasing a bass.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Been following this story since early Friday morning. Huge fish, but likely NOT a new world record. For fish under 25 pounds, you have to break the existing record by 2 ounces, this was appears as 22 pounds 4.75 ounces or thereabouts. Or so rumors have it. I've got video of the catch up on the blog now...a huge fish.

As an aside, my mother's family used to have a summer home on Lake Biwa in the pre-war years. She spent her summers on the lake with her aunt...she told me this morning it was hauntingly beautiful then.

-- Dr. Todd
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

big bass

Post by Chuck Gano »

i was and still am sure the world record breaker will come from texas or california, in a catch and release lake set-up for just that purpose, but just like my son always says a fisherman has to hook and land him first and as any bass fisherman will tell ya not an easy task when largemouth get that big, the japenese fish looks to be the real deal too bad the world record has to be 2oz.'s larger still what a nice fish, hope it want eaten as the "blog" hinted too buck perry has had that record so long even if its been beat, the longevity of his catch is still a world record as far as this fisherman is concerned.
charlie
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »