Easter Day Crappie

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Easter Day Crappie

Post by Bill Muth »

My buddy Steve and I have a fishing tradition on Easter Sunday. After church with my family and the kids' easter egg hunt, Steve and his wife drop by the house for a late lunch and we go fishing. This was our best Easter outing yet, 60+ crappie, plus a few bonus bass and bluegill. Most of the crappie were in the 8" to 11" range, but we caught a couple 14" lunkers.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, wow...beautiful fish! It obviously pays to go to church!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great looking fishies! If I remember right, don't people refer to these as "panfish"? If so, looks like you need a pretty huge pan!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Hey Bill, great looking crappie.

What's this T shirt look. Did you move to Florida? I'm still fishing in insulated bibs. It finally got warm enough today to take them off.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Two things Phil: (1) we are usually bundled up for 30 degree temps on this trip, this year it was a balmy 72 degrees; and (2) notice that I am sporting an ORCA t-shirt, though that big crappie is covering up most of it.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

john elder wrote:It obviously pays to go to church!
How much? I might be up for it.

All joking aside, at 8 or 10 years of age I tolerated being hauled off to church by my parents every Sunday, but only because after church one of the parents would haul a group of us kids to the lake to fish. It was way more about fishing than church. One day, my best friend and I decided to skip out on the church part and hang out by our parents cars getting our fishing gear ready. An elderly man came up to us to see what we were doing, we started to chat fishing and eventually, open flew his Bible to teach us all about fishing. He was a fisher of men/boys and that day I got snagged in his net.

By the way, BEAUTIFUL FISH!
fritzmerde
Big ORCA Fan

Wow, have'nt seen that in a long time

Post by fritzmerde »

Nice, sure beats an egg. Been a long time since I fished for crappies, croppies, strawberry bass,sac-a-lait, paper mouths, speks, speckled perch, calicos,crepes and any other name they're called. My grandfather and I would fly fish for them with his flys, grubs, if the water was murky minnows always came through. Thanks for the trip back in time. I think it was Brian that said you'll need a big pan-for sure. What a great tradition, I'm going to steal it for my boys.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Black Crappie, I believe, Pomoxis nigromaculatus.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

I like church . . .