Bad Bob's Big Bass Adventure

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Bad Bob's Big Bass Adventure

Post by john elder »

Posting this for Bob...one of two ball-busters he caught and set free on his recent trip to the oil fields...nice score, BB!

deke

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Kind of embarassin' to post this fish after seeing Geezer's wonderful SM. This was my first fishing trip this summer. Too much flood water earlier, weather too hot later. Got to Florida last week to cool off. The place I stay has about a hundred ponds, all stocked, but the bass get fished over a lot, so they get smarter as the season goes by I think. This is the smaller of the two best I caught (honest). The other was 17" (honest). Made my day anyhow. Both released, of course. Now if I can just get out to Boise!
BB
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Fishing is fishing BB and fun no matter when it's one or a hundred! Nice fish!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

That's a very nice fish BB.

You just need to pack up that flyrod and head out here next summer. For about 3 weeks in July and August we had tremendous hatches with smallmouth taking nymphs and the dead flies in abandon. There were a few mornings when I saw fish dimpling everywhere I looked and any cast to the area brought a smallie. Most of these rising fish are 10-14" and fight like crazy. Dave spent most of one day casting a fluke bait only at rising fish. He was really matching the hatch with his 4" white minnow shaped bait.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Might take you up on that Geez. Sounds heavenly to cast to SM rising to large dries! I have a bunch of Wulffs in big sizes. Those two LM hit a medium-size streamer. That sounds like it would work too.
Keep on! BB
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

BB, those weren't large dry flies, they were midges. Probably about a 16-22 or so. Just bring your trout flies, or streamers, or wets, or whatever. They sure aren't fussy. I really believe the smaller fish are sucking in those flies and the larger ones are lurking around looking for an unwary fingerling. But maybe Roger and Dave can chime in - they're the fisheries biologists.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil:

I can only comment if I am out there fishing with you. If I was a smallmouth and had a choice between some nice looking flukes or dry flies, I would grap the fluke. Dave appears to be the fluke expert. Better yet, consult with Fudge.

Roger