New to this forum - Daiwa collector

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
surfnut
Big ORCA Fan

New to this forum - Daiwa collector

Post by surfnut »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say hi to you all. This is my first visit to the site and I had to register straight away.

I didn't know there were so many other sicko reel collecters out there. At least now there are others out there with whom i can share in my hobby/passion.

A bit about me:

36 yo male from Australia

I began collecting reels about 8 years ago and I mainly collect Daiwa Reels from the 70s and into early 80s. These are what I first started to fish with so I have a soft spot for them. I mostly collect the Silver Series range, Gold Series, D series and the SS reels. I think I have got an excellect collection - I have also started to collect Penn Spinfishers.

I would like to hear from others that share an interest in the above Daiwa reels. If you also collect these, let me know as I am interested to know what you have got.

Cheers,
SURFNUT
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Welcome Surfnut,

While I don't really "collect" Daiwa reels, they are my reel of choice for fishing - and I still use the SS series of spinning reels, as well as quite a few of the older casting reels. I might have an extra boxed computerized model lying around if you need one.

I hope you enjoy the forum, and give some thought to joining our organization. We'd love to have you.

Jim
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Hi Surfnut. I have a fair accumulation of Daiwa Millionaires on up to some of the new Ito super tuned versions and some mini Coronets, along with a few other older Daiwa casting reels. All are in box with papers. Welcome.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by Len Sawisch »

Let me echo the Welcome!

And for us Daiwa fringe collectors, did the MIni Coronet, the tiny baitcaster, come in a box? I have one but it is on a bubble card?

Len
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

welcome to the board!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Hi Surfnut! Welcome to the ReelTalk board. We're always happy to have new ideas, new collectors and old collectors here. I've fished with Daiwa reels but my collecting tastes range back to old skeleton=style fly reels and old brass clamp reels. Welcome aboard!
Richard
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Welcome

Post by Reel Geezer »

Len Sawisch wrote:Let me echo the Welcome!

And for us Daiwa fringe collectors, did the MIni Coronet, the tiny baitcaster, come in a box? I have one but it is on a bubble card?

Len
Len, I have one on the bubble card and one in a box. They are a little different, with the boxed reel having a nicer reel bag, and the box being labeled (model) M-3. My bubble carded one has no model number and all writing is in Japanese. I assume yours is like this:
That's a Daiwa Steez reel to compare it to. Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is Daiwa related.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

See where that Daiwa Dialog takes us . . .

Post by Len Sawisch »

Yes - Daiwa reels are comers - and that little M-3 Geezer has is the same Mini reel I have - which I would happily trade for that Steezs . . .
surfnut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by surfnut »

Thanks for the warm welcome - I look forward to hearing from anyone with an interest in Daiwa spinning reels from the 70s to early 80s.

Cheers from downunder
Surfnut
YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

Hi Surfnut, welcome. I too am fairly new here and an avid Daiwa user, if not specifically a collector. I've used Daiwa reels for some 55 years and love all the ones I've ever used.

The Silver Series are my all-time favorite spinning reels. See a post within the last couple of days about an Ocean City 922 reel, where I tell a couple of the other inmates about leaving a 7000 Silver Series reel (accompanied by three others) out in the weather, unserviced, for 15 years and it still works like when it was new. They sure don't build them like they used to.

Shame they make most of them in China, Taiwan and Korea now, but they call it progress...

Do you have a 9000 Silver Series you want to part with?
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Welcome to Orca . It's about time some Daiwa collectors got on board.i also collect Daiwa. I use 500c, tg700 & ss1300 reels as my go-to reels for small stuff and a Team Daiwa 2500 for larger.
Among my collection is a boxed 7250 HLRA in Silver color MIB with paperwork.It has a yellow reel bag that says PENN and Daiwa on it. Most of the writing is in Japanese so I am surmising someone ,perhaps a serviceperson, brought it back while stationed overseas.
I've seen lots (and have lots) of the brown and tan 7250's. nice reels but not of the smoothness of the ss series.
I have a super #1. It's a medium sized skirted spool reel approximately the size of a Mitchell 300. I can't find any references to it-perhaps it also was for the overseas market but I dunno.
If you are looking for any Daiwas or other UL spinning reels lmk. I'd do a trade for a nice japanese made ss700.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Welcome

Post by Ron Mc »

Reel Geezer wrote: Image
Did Daiwa make a rod that matched the Coronet mini?
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Ron, I have not found a matching rod, but I haven't really looked very hard. I believe that these reels were made for Japanese and far eastern distribution, and I'm sure that there were matching rods available in that region. I believe these reels were made to be used with long very light rods similar to our crappie outfits available in the US currently.

There are also a pair of Daiwa Mini Millionaires that are a miniature level wind baitcaster. They were cataloged here in 1982 and are called the Mini Millionaire 1000 and 2000. They are about the size of a 40 yd baitcaster.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

All right, you DAIWA Mavens! You need to save this Lost Soul! I found it in a thrift store...it's brand new, but has no spool/drag mechanism...otherwise, it's perfect! I either need that spool or to find a good Daiwa lover to take it off my hands!

Next, I have this great DAIWA Procaster PT10E reel, complete with two new batteries. A short test drive indicates it does what it's supposed to do, but I have not memorized the Care and Feeding Manual that Geezer graciously offered up.

If either of these get your Daiwa Toes atappin', give me an email and we'll figure it out from there.
YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

John,

That Daiwa spinning reel probably has a fully accoutered spool waiting for it at Daiwa in California.

Last year I wanted a couple of new spools for some 7000Cs I use for fishing and called Daiwa on a lark. The 7000Cs have not been built, probably for more than 35 years or thereabouts and they had spools for them very reasonably priced. Something like $12.00 each and about another $8.00 for shipping.

I don't know how the shipping might vary, because I also had other parts in hte order, but give them a shot.

It's one of these two telephone numbers, don't exactly remember which:
Voice: (562) 375-6800 or 562-802-9589. eMail address: eMail: . There's a very service-minded guy there named Jaime that I've talked to a couple of times.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks...I'll give them a try. I had such poor luck with some other mfgrs who just wanted you to throw out the older models and buy new that I didn't pursue it. Of course, I'll also have to buy the drag stack, etc...probably will be more than the value of the reel, but maybe not.
YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

John,

Mine came complete with everything, including full drag parts for the $12.00 or thereabouts that I paid for them.

Despite the Chinese and Korean crap they have been manufacturing as of late, Daiwa is still the most user-friendly company out there!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Peter...you be da man! Not only did Daiwa have that spool...they are mailing it out to me gratis! I may just start collecting Daiwa reels 'cause the service is so great!
rick1857
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rick1857 »

I am not a collector but have 2 nice Daiwas. My favorite is my gs15. It's the reel I fish with the most. I also have a ag1350x. I got both at yard sales for $4. The gold still looks and runs great.Image
YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

Rick,

Cool reel, that GS.

It dates back to the early to middle 1970s. I have a similar one and one or two older that have the same type of spool quick-release button. That type of quick release dates it and did not last very long in production, as I remember it.

I've had mine since they were new; I believe I bought them all from Ramsey Outdoors Store, in NJ, where I used to shop a lot back then.

Used to have to be very careful fishing those reels, because it was very easy to press the button inadvertently releasing the spool while opening the bail. I well remember having to pull my spool up out the drink a few times by its unwinding line after casting it out off the reel... Pulling all the line off of it until the spool followed it home to Papa was the only way to get your spool back! :cry: :oops: :lol:

If I remember correctly, the Gold Series were fresh-water reels and the Silver Series were salt-water reels. The immediate predecessors to your reel did not have skirted spools and sometimes the line would also get caught under the spool.

That GS is probably among the first few batches of Daiwa reels with skirted spools, judging by what I remember of that spool release.

Really well-made reels.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

woohoo! my new spool came today and it fits like a glove! brand new reel ready to go to work! Thanks again, Y-P!

YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

Very cool! Be careful opening the bail to cast... :roll:
rick1857
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rick1857 »

Are there any good sites with info about Daiwa's? I can't find any.
YankeePapa
Frequent Board Poster

Post by YankeePapa »

I can't find any either. There is a place for Daiwa schematics though.

This one takes you directly to Daiwa: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics ... p?album=24

This one takes you to the complete list of schematics in the site: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics ... .php?cat=4

There are thousands of schematics here from Avet to Zebco and lots in between.

Good luck. If I hear of any others I'll post the info.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

there used to be a site from england called phantomfisher.com, but I can't get to it any more. entering phantomfisher.com gets you to a web hosting page. that guy had pics, schematics and a wealth of info. if his address changed or anyone knows about a new address Let us all know.
surfnut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by surfnut »

Hey all,

Hope this work, I am going to upload some pics of reels I own that have been mentioned by others in ths post.

Here goes...

I have got heaps more like these. I will post more if anyone requests

Surfnut