SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Post by Nick in NY »

Lets see my focus for the last 20 years or so have been mostly salt water big game and early pre 1920 surf reels with odd features such as external brakes, drags, odd frames as well as cool free spools made of quality materials such as nickel silver, aluminum and or hard rubber. As far as larger big game reels my preference would be the largest example of every known/unknown maker. Attention to details important as well as a good eye! There's a lot of great unknowns out there with neat features such as mother of pearl inlaid. No Holzman isnt to only maker to inlay. Then the 1 piece frames of William Slothe! If it's big game, 1 of a kind surf reel, know or unknown I'm interested just don't buy with my heart. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Hi everyone, I'm a new member, just joined yesterday. I've been lurking here for a few years, but since my interest has been rather narrow (Penn) until recently I haven't been too active here; I found more active Penn folks at alantani.com. I collect pre-1950 Penn reels with an emphasis on the Long Beach; I also have a few Senators including a few with non-chromed spools with German Silver flanges (I'm looking for more of these) and one 9/0 with a rosewood doorknob-shaped handle knob like the one pictured in Mike C's blue Penn book. My collection is feeble compared to most of yours, I'm sure; I have few boxes or other associated items. I've been collecting for only a few years and became interested in doing so after I rediscovered a few of my dad's old reels that I had inherited about 25 years ago. They had been kept high and dry all that time but needed a good cleaning and lube. They were a Pflueger Templar 1419-1/4, a Jigmaster, a Penn Long Beach 68 and a Pflueger Ohio 1978. I became active on alantani.com in searching for information about some of these reels, and have become interested in the history of the fishing reel, more specifically the history of the Penn company and now, Edward vom Hofe. I have Mike's books on Penn, and have ordered the book on EVH. I've read the ORCA book on reel restoration and am reading the collection of Reel News articles but together by Dr. Larson. My major interest is restoring old reels, and I've recently entered the market looking for an EVH 621 (or similar) to restore.

On a personal note, I live in Southeast Florida with my wife and four cats. We have two grown daughters. I grow pineapples in my back yard and tend to a backyard butterfly garden that is home to 6 species of native butterflies. I am a semi-retired small animal veterinarian.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Welcome Sid! Thanks for joining!

Paul M
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hello Sid,

Great to see you in ORCA. This is a very friendly zone, just like Alan Tani only with a different lean. You will be happy here. If it is a fishing reel, there is someone here that finds it interesting and is willing to talk about it.

Best,

Mike C
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Sid,
Welcome to ORCA!

I know you will fit right in here. Folks here might be interested in seeing those Penn restorations that you did. You can link the AT thread(s), or just post a b4/after. Check out the ORCA library sometime as well. You may want to order some copies of past Reel News articles that peak your interest.

John
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome Sid, glad you made it over & decided to participate. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

You've been holding out on us Sid. I want to see photos of the butterfly garden. We grow pineapples too.
-steve
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

oc1 wrote:You've been holding out on us Sid. I want to see photos of the butterfly garden. We grow pineapples too.
-steve
Hey Steve. Nice to see you here. The butterfly garden is not much to look at now - we just tore up a lot of it to replant. It's constantly a work in progress, even after almost 25 years. I'll PM you a few pics some time soon. Perfectly alright to remind me when I forget :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Actually the story on my 20/0 Cradle Kovalovsky I'm told is that it came from Romer Grey's lawyer in trade for legal work, so i'm hoping some day to find a photo or film of Zane Grey with the reel, as I believe its the only one of its exact kind made, and the heaviest Kovalovsky reel known. If anyone has more info- i can also email detailed pictures. THANKS! daniel zirilli
ps: i also traded for what i believe is the Smallest Kovalovsky as well... if anyone one thinks they have the biggest or smallest, i'd love to hear from ya!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

What reels I like to collect:

1. Pre-war Penn reels, mostly the larger reels like the Penn Senators.
2. Vintage Ocean City reels such as the 603 to 616 (3/0 to 16/0) and also the Long Key reels.
3. Pflueger reels like the Altapac and the Templar models.

And any other large saltwater reels, the bigger the better.
Lananenae
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Lananenae »

Hi all, I'm new here...
I'm Mike from Dronten, Netherlands.
I enjoy fishing and hiking.
I went to Wallyworld and got 4 inexpensive trolling rods; two 8 foot glass Shimano FXS rods for $21 each and two 7 foot glass Okuma Tundras for $33 each. The Okuma's came with TU-50 reels but they're garbage. Both types of rods are surprisingly good quality for the price.
The Shimano's are for trolling with downplaners and are medium/heavy rods, the Okuma's (medium/medium) are for using with the downriggers, I'd have gotten shorter poles for downrigger use, but they didnt have any worth a darn.
At any rate, I need best value saltwater spinning reels https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-sal ... ing-reels/ for under $40.00 that'll hold about 150-200 yards of 20lb mono.
Any ideas? I've heard Daiwa's are great reels for the money but I've no actual experience with them.
Oh, and I need them before this Friday night.
Last edited by Lananenae on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

My Grandfather handed me an old baitcaster with a shrimp on the end that he had tossed into Lemon Bay behind Manasota Key at age 3. Result was a redfish and young, now much older fisherman for life.
He gave me an old Meiss featherlight on a bamboo rod that I fished creeks in IN as a kid. I started 10 years ago with skeletons that crossed my path for a while. Phil White's book was the game changer that made me determined to put together as complete a grouping of "good" Meisselbach skeletons, Experts, and trollers. He mentioned in the book of Expert 22's made with exposed front click in both finishes. I think those are my only holes to fill.....likely a pipedream as I and others I have communicated with have never seen an example of either.

Oh, then was smitten by 40 and 60 raised pillar Hendryx baitcasters…. that has been fairly simple fun. Thanks to ORCA members for your help and expertise. Corbo
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I collect mostly single action fly reels. I especially like reels from the early 1960's. I like Pfleuger Medalists, various Shakespeares, Martins, and Hardy clones. They don't all have to be that old, but I do like them at least 20 years old and older. I like to use the reels I collect, so I actually fish with all of them. It may take a year or so for one of my reels to complete the rotation, but they will eventually get fished or will be sold.

I also like spin cast and open faced spinning reels from the same time period.
Joe
Heddon Hunter
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Heddon Hunter »

I collect Heddon and am currently attempting to get a set of all pre WWII examples
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I collect reels before 1960. Automobiles only have to be 25 years old to be considered antique. The reason I use 1960 as my cut off is simple. The late 50's saw the inception of many closed face reels and the phasing out of many of metal baitcast reels. In addition, most of these closed face reels were made prior to the onslaught of mostly plastic reels or partial plastic/partial metal. The most of my collection consists mostly of baitcast reels and the majority are German Silver and pre-levelwind. A lot of my reels are Kentucky or Ky style reels. However, I do like the early Shakesperare reels as well; Perfects, Intrinsics, Standard Professionals, etc. Like many of you I like many other reels also. I like Coxe 15's, Heddon pal narrow spool, Meisselbach German Silver and Hard rubber. Recently I have started collecting narrow spool reels. Sometimes I buy what appeals to me. I recently purchased 2 different Montague Top hat reels. Both were almost mint and were plated . In addition they both had beautiful jeweled end caps. They aren't particularly valuable but because I like the looks of them they followed me home. So collect what you like and like what you collect.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Just like oldsaltnfla, I fish my reel collection. I have more Pflueger Medalists than anything, some Hardy's. My oldest Medalist is a maroon boxed 1929 model 1394 (thanks Dean). Every thread must have photos!

leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

My collecting stays very focused unless there is bourbon involved! Over 25 years of collecting, early on it was based on limited availability of discretionary income so I bought everything I found older than 1980 and less than $25! Still trying to get rid of some of those! Currently I try to focus on pre 1925 quality bait casters from Heddon, Meek, Milam, Talbot including tournament reels with a splattering of Welch, Montague and Gayle.

Trying to narrow my Shakespeare collection to Professionals, Tournament, and pre-1915 models. Also love Shakespeare narrow spools, any model. Bourbon tries to tell me all early Shakespeare reels are cool!

I enjoy Skeleton fly reels, preferably diameters of 3 inches or less. Meisselbach seems to be the most attractive in this area. I am also interested in hard to find Heddon PAL's, preferably boxed.

Currently culling my long time collections in production and early reels from Pflueger, South Bend, Shakespeare and various other emotion inspired acquisitions.

Thanks to all my fellow ORCA members who have assisted me with my collections!!

Bryce Tawney, Lake Cherokee Texas

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Well now Bryce, that kinda puts things in perspective for me! Wonderful collection Sir! :bow:
soreno
Big ORCA Fan

Post by soreno »

Started collecting south bend, bass orenos While waiting for that next color to come along I decided to start collecting reels. I purchased a 1131, what a nice reel. So, it started .Then I purchased a Meek and sons #3 .Wow, did not know what quality workmanship went into making a reel. I like quality german silver bait casting reels.Whether it's a simple non levelwind or Kentucky style with brake or back lash device. Now I'm into those little german silver Montague trade reels.There are so many variations who knows what might come along.The dates I collect are early 1900 's. In my opinion it seems the earlier reels were not as precisely made.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Bryce, you mentioned that you liked narrow spool Shakespeare reels. I think I have all the Sportcast models. Recently we down sized and I had to choose which reels I would keep. And my special Shakespeare reels made the cut. You can see what I have on https://waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com

Good luck on your searches for reels!
Last edited by kyreels on Wed May 13, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bad URL
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Wayne, thanks for sharing the link. Fantastic collection. Makes me want to gather some more Shakespeare Narrow Spools!! Bryce
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Dustnstuff
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dustnstuff »

Named Brass reels from the late 1800 . Looking for anti foul style :)
British or American. Even nicer if they have a local history, like New England dealers.
Dustnstuff
creekman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by creekman »

I collect primarily Zebco reels, but also Mitchell, Johnson, and Penn reels, plus some Shakespeare, etc.. My collection is overwhelmingly spin-cast and spinning, mainly from the 60's and 70's, the reels that were popular when I was growing up!
ReelNickels
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ReelNickels »

Edward vom Hofe and anything with a 12 o'clock crank.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I like any BIG GAME reels and rods and started out buying anything I didn't have but that gets expensive !!! Now Fin-Nor is my favorite also cradles and different lever drag reels from old to new . My stuff mostly from mid 1930s to 1980s. John Taylor