SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Re: SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Post by Dan Z »

Thanks for asking John.
I collect
HARDY SALTWATER
KOVALOVSKY
STEAD
KLEIN
COXE
ZANE GREY OWNED REELS
ANYTHING HEMINGWAY RELATED
Bigger VOM HOFE'S
and I have the ONLY KNOWN SEVEN SEAS REEL (24/0 or 25/O in size!)
and pre-1950's well made and oddball reels. I'm looking for more AUSTRALIAN and international big game reels.
ALWAYS HUNTING FOR MORE!

Yes- VINTAGE only... seems most my collection falls between 1910-1940's.
THANKS Orca & John. I welcome communication. Daniel Z
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Mitchell’s and Penn conventionals,anything pre 90’s but own mostly 40+50’sespecialy with engraved side plates
forge
Big ORCA Fan

Post by forge »

i collect only early Pflueger Medalist (only ones made in the US) as well as Orvis Madison reels made by Pflueger. Thanks for asking.

forge
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Welcome forge! Gotta love the Pflueger reels.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Forge! Post a out your collection on the general page and tell us what holes you need to fill!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
PhilinFL
Big ORCA Fan

Post by PhilinFL »

I have a varied collection, however mine eyes are always looking out for Mitchell Half Bails, Level wind Shakespeare, Super reel, Marhoff etc. have some Pflueger's mostly Rockets. some Penn conventional, bunch of Penn Spinfisher and early slammers.
I prefer to find reels from private owners as there is always a story that accompanies them. I hunt for reels that can be restored and used. I refurbish vintage rods as well so its nice to pair a old reel and rod together.
I'm always encouraged while pier fishing and I land a slot snook or redfish with vintage Greenie and vintage rod and the youngsters ask "what king of reel is that"
Terry Battisti
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Terry Battisti »

What do I collect? That's a tough question. I have nearly every bit of tackle I have ever purchased since 1974. My "collection" includes several ABU casting reels dating from the 1960s through the late 1980s. Recently, within the last two months, I have gotten into old baitcasting reels from the early- to mid-1900s.

Mostly I collect magazines, catalogs, and books on bass fishing.

Terry
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

I Started collecting the reels from my youth for nostalgic reasons, those models I used to own and then those I could not afford at the time; then I got a bit carried away with it all.

So..
1. British KP Morritt's 'Intrepid' reels and their 'Old pal' US equivalents.
These were the target of most British youngsters (and some older and more experienced), being cheap enough to be within reach of most, and for us Brits, a home built reel. They ranged from basic and clunky to quite innovative and well built (until Gladding came along, bought the company and replaced some great designs with Hong Kong made reels with self destruct gears...sorry I digress..).
My collection is pretty comprehensive, ranging from the late 50's to their demise around 1980 (I think).
Not that well known outside of the UK (I suspect?), but legendary in their own way on this side of the pond.

2. I am a big 'The Mitchell'/ 'Mitchell 300' fan, more so those made before 1954, but I have a fair collection of later 330, 400, 410 and 440 Match models too.
I have a small collection of nice condition half bail 'The Mitchell' reels, from version 2 to full bail version 4 (14 in total) and these are my absolute favourites (I love restoring very tired looking ones).

3. ABU Cardinals (green and cream) from 1969 to 1974, also ABU 500 series closed face reels (501 & 506), 6500 multipliers (blue yonder, Mag elite etc) and my pride and joy; a 1974 ABU 7000, mint with box; I had one of these back in 1975, and stupidly sold it.

4. Lastly, old quirky looking reels.
I have a 1936 Mepps Baby Vamp (love that little reel!), a nice full bail 1950's or early 60's Marine Record 500, and a really cool little Kilian bait caster / multiplier. I also have a few British TJ Harrington reels like the Omnia (50's and 60's).
Last edited by Paul9591 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Looks like you have a nice collection/variation going on there, Paul.

Welcome!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Welcome to Reel Talk!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Farace »

Mostly fly reels, with a focus on “reels my grandfather would have owned.” My two favorites were inherited from my grandfather, a ca. 1938 Pflueger Medalist 1494, and a ’30s Heddon Imperial 125 with round agate line guide. I seem to have an affinity for US-made Medalists in general and also have a 1492 and a 1494 1/2. I also have some of my grandfather’s spinning reels, and my dad’s Mitchell 300, but my main interest is in fly fishing.
--Bob Farace

"Fish drink water only when they have no choice."

--Milford ("Stanley") Poltroon