SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Post by 54bullseye »

I collect big game stuff mostly with Fin-Nor reels on top of my list ! I also like early lever drag reels all Cradle reels and any thing else that hits me as cool !

As far as age my oldest stuff is mid 1930s and newer stuff up into 1980s. John Taylor
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I am "collecting" functional casting reels to fish with, in "fishable" condition. I am curious about the technology applied to address "bait-casting" and lure fishing. So I have been buying inexpensive examples of reels up into the 1950's (pre-Ambassadeur I suppose). I am enjoying tearing them apart and bringing them back to life, trying to get peak performance from each. Whether these remain a "collection" or not remains to be seen. I will keep, at minimum, a set of reels to cover fishing requirements: light, med, heavy applications.

That said, the beauty, engineering, and quality of these reels is not lost on me. I may end up "displaying" them in some fashion while I take them through their paces. They are too beautiful and bring me too much joy to pack away into the reel case I keep all my "modern" reels in. My "modern" reels include 1980's reels that are still used regularly -they do their jobs admirably.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Happy New Year John!
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
unechan
Big ORCA Fan

Post by unechan »

contribution from Japan;

I collect mainly light- and ultralight spinning reels up to 70s, which I do use the in the fields for fishing as well. Also started looking into GDR, Czeck and Russian spinning reels. Also seeking for Plastic-body spinning reels from 70s. Some small accumulation of ABU ambassadeurs, Abumatic (only the small body types) and 500 series, which are also for use. Small collection of Pfleuger Supreme bait casting reels.. I love the 611 and 612 models !

A not-so-tidy accumulation of various models

OFMER reels

other Italian ultralight and lights
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Welcome and thanks for the pictures of your collection. Looks good!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

OK... I guess since I now have something of a "collection" (interesting how that happens):

First, my primary interest is to fish with these reels, for the limitations/challenges they add to my fishing. I am interested in the history as well —primarily the progression of engineering technology to solve angling challenges. And there's a bit of nostalgia thrown in, bc... I am "vintage" myself.

1. Primarily, casting reels. Secondarily, quality (functional) spinning reels. Thirdly, fly reels. Depending on where I end up upon imminent retirement, some saltwater reels will possibly be added.

2. Pre-"modern". For me, this means ~pre-1960’s —before modern free-spool, and drag. Once things kick over into these true engineering up-grades, my nostalgia isn't strong enough for me to feel any need to replace my existing modern reels. I'm interested in finding places for those pretty old reels in my fishing —primarily lure-fishing for bass.

As to spinning reels, my interest is even more practical. I want reels that perform, approaching modern capabilities, but with a touch of… romance (different than nostalgia).

In fly-reels… despite my generally serious interest in efficiency in the face of all mother-nature dishes out at us in fishing, fly-fishing has a romantic call that can’t be ignored. If the rig is beautiful, it deserves to be fished. Or… conversely, if a fish will take a fly, it’s most satisfying when done on “beautiful” tackle.

“Beauty” here, must concede considerable latitude considering the costs that can be involved in this realm of fishing reels. Part of that concession is to argue that there is something to be said in terms of satisfaction, for making good use of lesser quality/efficiency gear. My most recent fly reel purchase was a Pflueger Medalist 1498 to pair with an 11wt line for LM bass fishing. Which takes us back around to my initial interest in old reels in the first place.

In my fishing, I regularly use “modern” reels from the 1980’s, that illicit comments from other fishers, like: “Hey, man, you’re retro!” Or, more pointedly, “You need new gear.” To which I reply, “I’m not ‘retro’; This is just my stuff!” Or, more pointedly, “No, I don’t.”

Such comments actually push me toward more challenging tackle, rather than away. That does not mean useless, btw. Nothing galls me more than gear that cannot do what nature requires out there. No, these older tech beauties cannot compete with modern gear in many places. But, I’ll be using them where they can continue to shine. Shame having quality, well thought out tackle, collecting grime in a basement or attic somewhere.

“Send me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of a teeming shore”!
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

ORCA recently revised our "vintage casting contest" rules to include spinning and level wind reels that are at least 50 years old, which puts the pre-1960's reels directly into play. Previously, the focus had been on pre-1945 reels, which is still the case for the non-level wind category. I am glad that we have collectors concentrating on the 50's thru 70s and even 80's reels, as these will eventually become vintage. There is a place within ORCA for all old reel collectors, however you define it. There will always be a place for 100 year and older reels, but we appreciate the newer vintages as well.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Good to hear, Matt. I've actually been wondering if my current interests are a bit off for this site. I very much appreciate the true antiques, and their history, but I won't be doing much more than oo-ing and ah-ing over them as they come up here. I'm primarily a naturalist/ecologist-angler, with a side-penchant for doing things "the hard way", as Howard Hill once put it. The fishing sites I visit show little interest, even disregard, for gear that's... much more than a year old. Hey, if I find I can actually make good use of such older gear, I may just end up adding a "Doing it the Hard Way" playlist to my YT channel. I didn't start that venture to be popular to begin with. I guess I got tired -pretty quick- of the competition-focused and infomercial world so much of the fishing media has become. Onward!
Danwin22
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Danwin22 »

I collect Ultralight spinning reels. I only have four so far but plan to add a few more soon.

two Garcia-Mitchell 308's
Garcia-ABU Cardinal 752
Daiwa SS-1

Bought the Mitchells in the 1960's, the Daiwa in the mid-1970's and the ABU in the 1980's or 1990's.

Hope someday to get an Alcedo Micron, Quick Microlite, Orvis 100, Mitchell 408, Shakespeare 2052, Penn 716 Greenie and others.

Being retired with "Play Money" harder to come up with tends to slow things down a bit.
Last edited by Danwin22 on Tue May 04, 2021 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Post by don309 »

Mitchell 308 & 204's mainly. But have quite a few others. Dating form the 50's to 70's
Retired so I'm out fishing or building a rodI :fished
Clint
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Clint »

Hello!
New member here, thanks for letting me join the group!

I’ve been more of a user until I retired a few years ago. I use and now collect fly, spin and bait casting reels. I have 2 rod and reel combos that I bought new when I was a teenager that have inspired my collecting. A Fenwick FF605 and a Pflueger Medalist and a Fenwick FS53 with a Daiwa Mini-Mite. Glass serialized Fenwicks dominate my vintage rods. The reels that go with them are varied, I buy what appeals to me. Dam Quick, Daiwa, Pflueger, Abu-Garcia but my interest seems to be spreading out some.
I recently bought a box of reels online that contain some very interesting stuff. Hardy, Mar-vel, Orvis 50a, Quick and a few others yet to be identified, mostly 40s,50s and 60s. Research has brought me here, I look forward to learning and sharing!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome, Clint! Lots of people with knowledge here to answer any questions you may have.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Clint
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Clint »

Thanks MTD! I believe we’ve crossed paths on Alan Tani’s forum.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

1. Conventional, bait cast, level wind. Salt water, then fresh.
2. Mid 70's to mid 80's for Abu/Ambassadeur that I use. 60's and 70's for Penn level wind reels that I use. 60's and before for
conventional shelf reels with focus on the before part. 60's and before for Shakespeare, and other smaller reels as they
catch my attention.

Since I'm a salt water fisherman, a sometimes, wait for it....BAIT fisherman, the larger conventional reels and equipment are of particular interest. Their rugged design and construction, intended purposes and history are very interesting. Conversely, the smaller, mainly fresh water reels interest me because of the intricacies of their construction and seem to be more proudly decorated by makers from their engraved plates to figured hardware and even in their total construction in some models.

In general, the evolution of fishing gear is an addictive subject. Acquisition of knowledge and objects is impossible to avoid.
GRASSNGLASS
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Mostly collected Hardy Multipliers for about twenty years. Had twenty some, but only about eight remaining that I use for fishing.

Currently looking for more Pflueger Medalists with the Voss conversion.

I've collected most types of multiplier fly reels, but have also sold most of them off over the years.

Thanks,
Barry

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Spectacular@! Keep it up.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Very nice! On a side note, I see that the collectible ceramics appear to be displaced. I got in a pickle when my collection invaded certain territory claimed by the Lady of the house. I got the "hands on the hips" broadside and promptly retreated.
GRASSNGLASS
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I was allowed one shelf and she got the rest of the curio. I have bins full of other items that will stay in bins for the near future. On the other hand I have seven large bookshelves around the house devoted to fishing and hunting books. So she's not to tough on me.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I enjoy hearing the "other side" of the story from collectors!!
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

My interests include British, French and Swedish reels from the early to mid 20th century including spinning reels, baitcasters and drum reels, known as centrepins in the UK.

I like to know the history behind a particular model whether it be the manufacturer or a famous angler who used an example of the model. I also like to pair up rods and reels from the same vintage. And, more than anything else, I have to be able to use them. I don't mind faults as long as they are useable. Boxes and instructions are a welcome bonus, but not essential.
Regards, Clive

"I tread the paths where no one goes
and cast to fish nobody knows
"
John.saulen
Big ORCA Fan

Post by John.saulen »

I collect all era reels. With 500+ in my collection I have an extensive # of Bronson, Pflueger, Shakespeare dating back to the 30’s. Love to clean and restore them as they come in, and have joined ORCA to broaden my knowledge and seek info on schematics, cleaning practices, and identifying. My other interests are collecting lures, with over 20,000 of them, I feel as though I may have a problem…. Also anything else involving fishing, postcards, scales, patches, and all the other accessories that us fishermen have needed over the years. Glad to be aboard, finding comfort that there are so many others out there sharing my interests and addiction.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Welcome aboard. You definitely came to the right asylum.
Mark
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Greetings all.
Happy to be here and to finally realize I'm a reelman! Used to be a bamboo guy but I am slowly emerging from that rabbit hole, trying to sell rods, to buy reels.
My focus is small,100yd or less, hard rubber fly and casting reels. MC Symploreel fly reels and unusual American made fly reels. A little Bakelite and skeleton with early Shaker Russells rounding things out. I think the double spring, adjustable checks are da bomb. Almost all are 1900 to WWII era.
And of course, Busted Stuff in above. Love to try and fix 'em.
Here's what I have "so far" along with my space with a work in progress. Not very expansive, but works for me.
Regards

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Yeah, I would say you're a reelman. Very nice!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:33 pm Yeah, I would say you're a reelman. Very nice!
Yep, from the evidence above, I would say guilty as charged.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990