SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
nmaccarp
Big ORCA Fan

Re: SURVEY! LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Post by nmaccarp »

I just started collecting reels. I started by buying to fit the fly rods I like to fish but realize I may have contracted some sort of sickness when I bought a reel that I had no rod for and said to myself I will just have to get a rod for that reel soon and then I bought a line for a reel I didn't have... I like fly reels, I find myself partial to reels made in Michigan. for the moment its the pre aluminum bar stock era. I am also interested in penn reels they look very industrial to me.
Nate
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Nate,

If you are considering collecting Penn reels you can acquire all the expert information needed from a book written by an ORCA member . It will save you many times the cost of the book.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15455&hilit=penn+book

Happy collecting.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hey, I herd a dat book! Is it any good :?:

:doh:
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Mike, you've set yourself up ! Will i be :twisted: or :bow: ?

....It can turn amateur collectors into Penn gurus without leaving their armchairs. You owe me for this Mike. :lol:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

You owe me for this Mike. :lol:

OH no, not again :!: :doh:
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

1) I collect spinning reels from Sweden, France and Italy (mostly). I have been at it pretty much full time for the past 2 years...and off and on since 2005.
2) Most of my reels are from the 60's and 70's but I have a few (Helion and some older Mepps) that come from the 40's. I started collecting after my Dad gave me a Cardinal 4 in the early 70's (which I still have) and it has been downhill from there. Ben's book "Spinning Reel Reference and Value Guide" and Marco Malavasi's The Reelstown guide to ABU Spinning Reels" have been invaluable. I have No idea where these 2 have had the time to accumulate such knowledge, but I know it will take several lifetimes to get it all in this noggin. Hence the books are my guide.....
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

I collect everything from a to z whatever catches my eye and I can afford I have over a thousand beaters I dismantle ever one and clean it and off it goes into a display case if its a fishing reel I like it god only knows how many I have trashed trying to get them apart I also buy all the reel parts I can find never seem to have enough if you could see my wifes kitchen table yall would all have a good laugh must be 40 reels on it just cleaned or waiting to be cleaned her family is coming tomorrow and I have got to clean it off that is going to be a major project many thanks to the helpful knowledgeable people on this site I plan on paying my dues and becoming a member shortly the type I like moistest any and all
backfromthegrave
Big ORCA Fan

Post by backfromthegrave »

If it's old, turns round and round, holds line, preferably made in the USA, sad to say, I collect it. My friends say I have a collecting disease. Let me back up and add, has to do with fishing to my first statement. I don't collect chalk line boxes.
DeepBlueReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DeepBlueReels »

I'm relatively new to collecting reels, but here's what I can share so far.

1. What types/brands of reels do you collect?

I mainly like saltwater reels, and so far I've been focusing on Penn, DAM, Olympic, Garcia and Kencor. I also like the French and Italian open-faced spinning reels, like Alcedo and Luxor Pezon and the like.

2. How old are the reels you collect?...is that something that's a factor in your collecting?
Most of the reels I've been collecting have been manufactured just before WWII and onwards. The age of the reel isn't as important to me as the condition.
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

I have to limit my collection because of my propensity to buy anything related to fishing.
I have 32 lovely reels made in Frankfort KY where I was born, raised and now live. They are Meek and Milam, BC Milam, BC Milam and Sons, Gayle and Sage. I have other fishing related items in my display case but no rods or lures.
I fly fish so I "collect" bamboo and graphite rods and small to large fly reels, none older than 25 years. I have several of my dad's rods and spin cast reels from the '49's and '50's. Ones I used we when fished together.
I do not collect antique or even newer lures or rods. I suppose reels are my thing because I am a retired dentist. I practiced 41 years so I know the amount of mechanical things and tools it is possible to acquire. I like things I can fool with so reels are perfect!
ORCA provides a steady stream of information and history I find fascinating. Thank you all for being my best teachers.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

Hey Pres I live just up the road from you in Alexandria KY. Sounds like a nice collection.
I like to collect salt water reels I can fish with. I have mostly Penns - squidders, senators, long beach etc. I'm starting to branch out. I recently purchased an Ocean City 9/0 and an O C Long Key. I'm looking for a big 10/0 cradle reel at the moment.

I do have some older reels my dad gave before he passed. Zero hour bomb company, Shakespeare and others I'm not familiar with.
Shawn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shawn »

Hi everyone at ORCA...My name is Shawn Moorshead and I am a new member of ORCA.
1) Abu Garcia Reels is my main brand with Record, 5000 series, 2000 series reels beings the main models.
2) 1940's to 1970's is the time frame I look for and is a major factor in my collecting.

I do collect other brands/models such as but not limited to: Other Sweden brand reels Arjon, Rainbow, Radius, Victory (Produkter), River (Malte Blohms Fabriks).
Also Heddon brand and many others. I love prototypes, odd, one year only, and anything that makes a reel unique and stand out like technology, cosmetic etc...
I love turn of the century reels and older, miniaturize reels or very tiny reels also.

Feel free to contact me at email address provided...Thanks.
***email address removed***
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Shawn, thanks for telling us about your collection. In case you haven't noticed --- you like ALL reels!! I bet most of us do. Your enthusiasm is telling.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I do have some older reels my dad gave before he passed. Zero hour bomb company, Shakespeare and others I'm not familiar with.
Hello Mike,

Welcome to ORCA, any questions you have about any brand reel can usually be answered here or at least, speculated on.

Posting pictures is the best way to display your reels here. If you have a hard time posting a pic, you can email to me and I will post it for you or check through our old postings. There are instructions to help you post. Good to see you here. ORCA is a friendly place.

Mike C.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I mainly collect saltwater reels made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania such as Penn and Ocean city pre-war models. The Penn Senators 1/0 to 16/0 trip my trigger as well as the Ocean City 3/0 to 16/0 models. To have the reel box with the reel is much better for sure. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania so reels from Philly go back to my roots and my birthplace.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I mainly collect saltwater reels made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania such as Penn and Ocean city pre-war models. The Penn Senators 1/0 to 16/0 trip my trigger as well as the Ocean City 3/0 to 16/0 models. To have the reel box with the reel is much better for sure. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania so reels from Philly go back to my roots and my birthplace.
Penn and Ocean City are the best.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I agree Mike. I have all 4 of the Penn books, 2 softbound and 2 hardbound.

Cheers Paul
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I agree Mike. I have all 4 of the Penn books, 2 softbound and 2 hardbound
Wow, you invested a little money. I hope you enjoyed the books.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

The books are terrific. I really like them.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

The books are terrific. I really like them.

Thank You!
MrHeddon
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MrHeddon »

I collect vintage and pre-antler Browning reels, Zebco spinning reels from the 70s and 80s, Old Garcia Mitchells, D.A.M.s I have a weakness for Ted Williams equipment and of coarse Heddon Reels of any timeline. I have recently become interested in reels by these companies that are not offered in the U.S.

I prefer reels from the 50, 60s and 70s
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Hello MrHeddon,

Your in luck: We have a Zebco guru, a Mitchell guru, a Heddon guru, ... hell we have a lot of knowledge people here.

Welcome to the forum, any questions should be answered quickly.

William
MrHeddon
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MrHeddon »

Thanks William! good to be in the company of other reel geeks.
michaelscott
Frequent Board Poster

Post by michaelscott »

I've recently joined. I've hit this fishing reel bug with a bit of a shotgun approach and I'm still figuring out what really strikes me. I was sidelined for a while from fishing with a shoulder injury and got into this. It is an addiction. So far, I've managed to collect a number of old casting reels, old Mitchells, unique spinning reels. If I have to pick out the most unique ones I have: Hurd Supercaster; Humphreys Model 3A; Zebco Model 11; and another I cannot identify.

I am not picky about reels because I tend to buy anything. I organize a charity for kids and fishing equipment. In the past five years, I've "hooked" up a few thousand needy kids and kids of military personnel with fishing rods/reels. All this to say, I always have my eye out whether for my collection or for kids.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Welcome aboard. You are in the right place. Right in the midst of like minded addicts!