Ambassadeur 3.0 HST (warning: Very picture heavy)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Ambassadeur 3.0 HST (warning: Very picture heavy)

Post by Dr. Rob »

This is the ABU Ambassadeur 30.

This is ABU's second attempt at larger, offshore lever drag reels, conceived in 1974. They are somewhat unique, with their stainless steel frames and acetal sideplates. The styling is also dramatically avant-garde, which is not unusual for ABU.

A truly inspiring reel, or at least I like to think so. I first came across it years and years ago, down in the deep recesses of the patent office archives, where one could browse among neverending shelves with millions of documents.

I found the mechanical design enamoring; simply brilliant in fact. So simple, so clever... So few parts. I daresay that never has there been a design so simple for this type of reel.

I've never forgotten it, in all the years following.

And often thought of the man behind it, Hugo Svensson.

And thought many times, that perhaps our paths would cross and I would meet him someday, and would have the opportunity to express my appreciation.

In the meantime, I would've liked to make a reel for myself, a little special edition keepsake; a Hugo Svensson Tribute reel.

So, I started getting into it earlier this year, and laid out the idea... made a frame, some gears, a handle... It was looking pretty nice.

And then, I got a letter. It was from his daughter.

He is dead, she said... he died a few years ago. She explained that she had found her way to me by way of John Elder, ORCA and this website, in search of learning more about her father. Could I help?

Yes, perhaps I can, said I... That his years at ABU may have been long ago, but they did not pass unnoticed, nor will they be forgotten. And that little I thank him for inspiration before embarking on my own little quest for wisdom, wherever it may lead.

She also wrote that there was a website with a few words about him; a sort of online memorial, virtual epitaph gravesite sort of a thing. So, I went there, and read the words thereupon. Some of them seemed familiar somehow; a certain cadence, a rhythm one recognized amongst the keystrokes...

This is because I wrote them. Once, several years ago, quite probably right here at ORCA, on this forum. And there, in our archives, she had found them.

And so I thought it apt, to continue:

So, some time has gone by. You know how it is- things to do, changes in life, things take time. But in recent weeks, I decided to complete this little project.

I work alone, from scratch. I am self-taught, and all my machines are manually operated. Really, the only things I don't make are screws (only sometimes) and ball bearings. So, some things take some time, but they usually turn out the way I like; or at least similar thereto.

I began by marking, drilling and threading the base plate, which is after all the anchor and basis for all things mechanical...

Image.like the intricate gear train I designed for this reel. The original reels had a gear ratio something like 3:1. I wanted something much quicker, like 6:1, for reasons we will later see. This is not entirely easily done within such a constrained space. The alternative to strict adherence to Hugo's design, would have been to add a big, drop-down double chin so popular on reels nowadays- an aesthetically less appealing alternative. Besides, I like gears...

Image.which is why I bought a gear hobbing machine; to better make them myself.

The outer right-hand sideplate takes shape, paying close attention to the multitude of peculiar angles involved.

The spool is made to be extremely lightweight

And together with a few other bits 'n' pieces, it all starts taking shape.

Drag levers and things are a bit intricate, but this turned out rather nicely.

Image.and look at that. Neat as you please.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the Ambassadeur 3.0 Hugo Svensson Tribute:

Image.but there is something I haven't shown you. Here... c'mere, pick a hand

Left? Okay...

Epilogue:

The reel isn't quite finished yet. Later, as opportunity allows, I will correct small errors, and make a few additions. A magnetic cast control is in the works for instance, and a lighter spool.

I would have liked to share this with Jack Erskine; it is the type of thing he would have enjoyed, not leastly since he had a part in the development of these reels back in the day. However, it came just a few weeks too late.

Earlier this spring I met one of the old ABU guys, Olle Lidesjö. There aren't very many left of his sort. Most of the OG's have retired by now, but Olle has been there for a bit over twenty-five years. We chatted for a while. I told him this story, and showed him this reel.

He liked it. All is well.
Last edited by Dr. Rob on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Ambassadeur 3.0 HST (warning: Very picture heavy)

Post by Brian F. »

That was a great story, Dr. Rob.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You are such a talent, dr rob! ... And what a tribute to hugo!

I look forward to seeing the first fish that ultralight brings in ! :-)
raumatibeach
Frequent Board Poster

Post by raumatibeach »

Superb, have you forwarded the link to Wayne at Realsreels?
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Awesome!--both the reel and the commentary. Thanks for sharing.
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Post by nomdeplume57 »

They just don't have a word for a Agazillion Times Amazin!
Till Now ( Agazillamazin!)
Pronounced (AW-GUH-ZILL-UH-MAY-ZIN)
Last edited by nomdeplume57 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Wow! Simply Wow!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

How in the world do you make something like that? For someone who has a difficult time removing a screw and replacing it without stripping it like me, that is beyond amazing. Last thing I saw that was that amazing was the Bogdan story.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

One of the finest posts I've ever seen on Reel Talk. Incredible, Rob. Just incredible.

-- Dr. Todd
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Have often wondered if there were any individuals left that could make a hand machined reel out of the new space age materials, that could compete with the old masters? You just answered my question.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know I did.

I also know that somwhere out there is a young lady who is very happy and very proud of her father. That is good too.
wuma
Frequent Board Poster

Post by wuma »

Dr Rob, that is truly outstanding! Great story and a great tribute.

Espen
periskop
Big ORCA Fan

Post by periskop »

Hi! Read Your artickle and found it very interesting! I have researched the design process of these reels and even talked to the designer on a few occations. Did you know there was also a 50 Ibs and a 80 Ibs prototype? I fished With the 50 Ibs reel in Puerto Rico as a member of the ABU Dreamtrip winners in 1976. As for your minimalist tribute reel, did you know ABU investigated a design for an Ambassadeu 5000/6000 replacement which was not at all very different from the one you have made? It came to nothing, but I have a few drawings of this experimental prototype. Not sure if a reel was ever made, though. Would be very interesting to discuss this further, but I think I would like you to send me an e-mail, rather than do this here. Regards from periskop.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think this would make a great Reel News story if Dr Rob is willing. Doc?
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Really, Brian? Would you consider such a thing?

I would be flattered. The story of the development of this reel is not without intrigue or coincidence, two of the remarkable elements which lend quality to a story.

Periskop: Speaking of coincidence, I was reminded of this story just last week when I ran into the Abu sales manager at the annual fishing expo. He was on his way to visit Lennart. Which reminded me of some old emails i had with Göran E, which reminded me that really i should go back and edit the story above, to add the name of Kenneth and give him the credit he deserves as designer... to whom i guess you are referring. And again i was reminded of the element of intrigue behind the story.

So yes, Periskop- I would be delighted to hear from you and learn more of the background. I venture to guess from your grammar that you are Swedish, and you are quite welcome to write such if you prefer.

Last edited by Dr. Rob on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I wholeheartedly agree with Brian on this one, as I'm sure will our editor, Richard Lodge! Dr. Rob, please write it up and submit to Richard and he'll get it in the Reel News at first opportunity! the article need not be much more elaborate than the content of this thread posting, but add as you wish. It can certainly be put in under the "Best of Reel Talk" series.

john
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

What an incredible post ! Now I don't know if it's art- but I know what I like and I like that reel.