Wanted: "Stratco" Reel - Louisville, KY.

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
hoosierpaul
Big ORCA Fan

Wanted: "Stratco" Reel - Louisville, KY.

Post by hoosierpaul »

"STRATCO" - Acronym for Stratton & Tersteege. They were a hardware wholesale distibutor. "S&T hardware". Our local hardware used to be an S&T store when I was young. I would like to have any of their named reels. Also looking for any B&B - Bourne & Bond Reels who were also a wholesale hardware distributor on 4th st. in Louisville. Can anyone tell me if there are any "Belknap" named reels? Belknap Hdwe. & Mfg. Co. marketed the "Blue Grass" line of tools and am curious if they ever marked a reel as such? They were in business from the mid 1800's ane were the biggest supplier of all above mentioned. I am interested in any reels, etc. from Louisville co.'s.
PS (I also still need an "INDIANA" reel)- I was informed they were made by Bronson.
I will take any of these reels in any condition too...
Thanks! Paul
email: ***email address removed***
eLMO
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Wanted: "Stratco" Reel - Louisville, KY.

Post by eLMO »

I am relatively new to this site and just saw your post. I do have a level wind style reel marked " Belknap Louisville Est. 1840 " . Would that be of interest to you? I can send pics

eLMO
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I am sure I have an extra Stratco reel ... wrote an article on them in the Reel News a decade ago.

Drop me a DM I'll try and hunt it down for you.

-- Dr. Todd
eLMO
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eLMO »

HoosierPaul, here are some pics of the Belknap Reel I have for sale. Let me know if it is of interest to you. Not sure how to price this reel due to Belknap reels seem pretty rare.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Paul,

S&T was indeed a wholesale hardware distributor in Louisville. Among their trade names were the ubiquitous Fall City Minnow Buckets and tackle boxes. They acquired the Kentucky Stamping Company which made the BF Meek and Sons tackle box. They indeed distributed Montague reels under the Stratco trademark.

Bourne and Bond was mostly a Louisville retailer specializing in sporting goods. Whitefish Press has a book on B&B that I hope to get someday when the distribution of said book becomes more available. Not sure why it is not available yet. I have seen it on eBay though. Maybe Dr. Todd can shed some light there.

I have owned a number of both reels, and they tend to show up in well-used condition. I did keep one really good example of the B&B reel, which is earlier than most examples and had a lot of german silver components and an ivory grasp. It is not for sale though.

For anything related to Belknap, you should look in your ORCA directory for member John Caldwell. He specializes in Belknap and has the reels. To me as a Ky collector, they do seem scarce. Not sure why. I have never owned one and have only seen John's.

For the Bluegrass trademark of Belknap, I dont think it would extend to reels, as the Bluegrass Reels trademark was owned by Bluegrass Reelworks and later merged with B.F. Meek and Sons. Anything marked Bluegrass Reel would be in that line.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

HoosierPaul hasn't been active on the site for almost 10 years.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Good point, should have looked at the posting dates. But still some good discussion.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle