Uh oh! Leftover part!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Uh oh! Leftover part!

Post by Steve »

SB450.jpg
A fellow collector would like to learn how the gizmo denoted by the red arrow fits back into his South Bend 450. Please help!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Uh oh! Leftover part!

Post by Don Champion »

Where the level wind comes through the front plate there should be a couple of pins with cutaways under the heads. It slips on the top one, swing it down to fit into a groove in the bushing for the level wind gear and then onto the pin below the gear. It holds the level wind bushing in. Of course the level wind worm has to be in place first, then the bushing.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Don is correct, but to make it fit you may have to bend it a bit as you slip it onto one peg and then swivel it onto the other under that LW gear. Jim M.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Don and Jim,
Thank you very much!
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I would have taken a pic of it in the proper position, but instead I'm stuck here at the Bakersfield, CA Fishing Show with John E. and have to do some of that darn room trading! :roll: :loco:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I just feel so sorry for you Robert, and John too.
Greg D.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Greg D. »

I recently acquired one of these South Bend 450 reels. It’s missing the anti-backlash wire or “bail” that goes into the two small holes near the line guide. Any suggestion on where I might find one without having to buy another parts reel? Thanks in advance!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Seems some people may have removed them as they can be a challenge to adjust properly, once taken apart. Very doable, just initially confusing.

For the part(s) you might check with Dick Janak:
rjanak at hvc.rr.com

Otherwise, a parts reel may not be all that costly as there are a lot of SB reels out there.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Paul, I have the exact part you need but won't be back north till the last week of February. If you don't find one by then, let me know. If you have the model with the brown spacer, it can get tricky creating the spring for the bail. I can help with that too. Good luck, Jim
Desperately seeking SB reel #100A, a #600 box. JMadden
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jim,
Not trying to derail this thread but haven't seen you post for awhile. I'm in dire need of of your expertise and some tips on how to totally disassemble the two speed Sup-Matics. It seems that little shaft in the two speed button likes to snap off easily. I think I read something regarding it a long time ago but didn't retain it and can't any reference to in the search function. Any help you can send my way, PM or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know where I can obtain a couple of those parts, that would be helpful, also.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hi, Jim. Thanks so much. Hopefully, Greg D sees this as he’s the one looking for the part. So far, all my own SB’s are intact and functioning.

One thing I would like to know is if it’s possibly to swap in an aluminum spool for the standard spools. If swappable, the next question would be which models had aluminum spools that could serve as donors.

You are a popular guy around these parts, Jim!
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Greg D.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Greg D. »

Jim, sorry I’m a little late seeing your reply. Just remembered that I sold that SB a while back so I no longer need the part. Thank you for your reply though! Greg D.