Montagues vs Capulets

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Montagues vs Capulets

Post by RAM »

Alright! Every week it seems the same issue comes up on the Reel Talk venue. I have had enough of this blatant discrimination. Not ALL unidentifiable reels of questionable character are Montagues! Some are undoubtedly Capulets! How often do you hear any ORCAn say "It's a Capulet! No doubt!"? If you put a Montague, a Capulet, a Pflueger, and any of numerous anonymous ilk in a lineup, no honest observer, regardless of his claim to expertise, can tell the difference. Period. The Montagues have been unfairly treated in our foolish attempts at IDs of ordinary, bland, unmarked, often dirty, unpolished working class reels long enough! Let honesty, fairness, and decency prevail henceforth and simply say we don't know a reel's true identity if indeed we don't and stop incriminating the Montagues!

Bad (momentarily bored, otherwise why would I bother with drivel such as this?) Bob
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Montagues vs Capulets

Post by Don Champion »

One of my teachers once said "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let others think you're a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt." OK, I'll open my mouth since someone has to bite and it may as well be me. What is a Capulet?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

A capulet is a small pill that Shakespeare (the Bard, not the reel one) used to take to help him stay awake late while he penned his submissions to Bartlett's Quotations.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

But BB...Capulets never had steel pivots...brass balls, maybe...
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Romeo was the son of Montague who started a company making cheap, tawdry reels. Juliet was the daughter of Capulet, a rival reel (better quality ) maker, both of whom who would have been relegated to obscurity if not for the tragic outcome of the romance between the kids. Both expired when their boat overturned on a fishing trip during an argument as to which family made the better reels. Of course, all ORCAns know both were trash reels made for commoners who couldn't afford Meeks. You might not agree with this account, whereupon you can make up your own. No offense taken.
BB
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

BB,

Once again, you make me smile, actually chuckle :lol:

But hey watch it Bud, you're talking smack about all I can afford :x

Midway (without my pee pot) Tommy D :jester
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I feel a slight tug on my leg. It's as if someone has just pulled it.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

if the feud degrades to a reel toss, the Montagues will surely win
this would have certainly saved Tybalt's life.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Tybalt or not Tybalt, that is the question.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

One last note: I really think Montague reels are of excellent quality and very collectible. Have had a few I swore were Pfluegers until proven wrong. Only "Meek" I have is a Jupiter which I am told was made by Montague about 1920. Actually, highest quality casting reel I own. Just trying to stir up trouble for a bit of fun. Didn't manage to do it though.
By the way, I am not sure I ever saw the name "Montague" on a reel, although I have heard they did produce some. Also interesting: although Montague made more bamboo fly rods that any other company in history, they didn't start putting their name on any until late 20s as I recall. Like reels, they made them for other companies.

Cheers! the Bad One
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Montague didn't start putting their name on reels until near or about 1930. It appears on reels with names such as Flash, 35, Sunfish, etc. They also started making level wind reels about the same time. A bit late and possibly helping with their downfall.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It's interesting that a friend of mine's dad was the shop foreman a montague when they closed in early '50s. He spent a lot of time there... And never knew they made reels! I'm wondering at what site the early reels were made... Implication is that they were not made in montague city... Or they swept up well when they quit!

Then again, maybe he was just too young... He would have been 7-ish when they closed, i think... But he remembers all the rods
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

don't how many of you have seen this, but here is a fun Montague trivia item with some good verbiage that comes up on google
http://scripophily.net/mocirodco.html
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

at what site the early reels were made
163 Grand Ave., Brooklyn, where M. employed 20 males and 15 females in 1899.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I guess being that I live in the world of salt water reels 99.9% of the time. I do not understand why a reel so fine, gets so much negative noise. I know it is not one of the 1%, but it certainly looks the part. Would appreciate any real history about this old Montague. Like year of manufacture or anything interesting about what I feel is a very nice product.

I am sending this reel to someone, it is not mine but I wanted to keep some info on it and am having a hard time finding information about it. Thanks...
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The "Jupiter" was one of the highest grade German silver casting reels ever produced by Montague. They were what Montague described as "Extra Quality". Likely from about 1915-1925. Here's one in the rare original box.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

We typically refer to those reels as "4-screw" Montague casting reels because, much like the KY reels, the face plate is held by 4 screws rather than the usual "2-screw" models you usually see from Montague. The quality is every bit as good as the fine KY reels, MHO and make a really nice collection. I think there are over 20 of that style with various names...probably 50+ of the 2-screw trade reels, which aren't nearly as nice but are NS and certainly not shabby. Doug Whittington has now cornered that market, I believe :D and maybe he will add factoids to this thread!

j

BTW, beautiful combo, Mark!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

The "Jupiter" was one of the highest grade German silver casting reels ever produced by Montague. They were what Montague described as "Extra Quality". Likely from about 1915-1925. Here's one in the rare original box.
We typically refer to those reels as "4-screw" Montague casting reels because, much like the KY reels, the face plate is held by 4 screws rather than the usual "2-screw" models you usually see from Montague. The quality is every bit as good as the fine KY reels, MHO and make a really nice collection. I think there are over 20 of that style with various names...probably 50+ of the 2-screw trade reels, which aren't nearly as nice but are NS and certainly not shabby. Doug Whittington has now cornered that market, I believe :D and maybe he will add factoids to this thread!
Thank you very much.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Actually I still can't believe how many there are. I presently have 37- "4 screw " 36- "2 screw " and 9- " Top hats ". A special Thanks to all my friends and fellow collectors in helping me with this assignment for sure. Still looking as well. Merry Christmas to all ! Doug Whittington