OTCO Lever-drag Game Reel ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

OTCO Lever-drag Game Reel ?

Post by Dr. Rob »

I first heard of this reel many years ago, but have never seen one.

Anybody have a pic of one?

I might be on to something.

Rob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: OTCO Lever-drag Game Reel ?

Post by john elder »

Rob, here's one post from our archives showing the reel:

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... tco#p29994

there are a bunch of them if you put OTCO into the search window and probably more pics...Ashaway.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Ah, thank you so much John. Almost, but not quite...

I'm looking for the far more elusive OTCO big game & offshore reel. (not the spinning reels) There was nothing in the archives, and very little on the internet. Which is why i was hoping someone here might have some info...
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Ohio Tool Co. ..I'm sure I have seen them occasionally on ebay . They are silver with a multi coloured band where the lever drag is situated.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sa=N&tb ... B200%3B150
On this site there is one about three photos in from the top left .
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, should have known that was too easy for a Dr. Rob question :-]
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Yes, kingfisher. That is the pic that sparked my curiosity and made my start this thread. Small, grainy, little surrounding info... And it looks like another reel entirely.

The Ohio collector site guy (member here?) says that someone else (whom i have no real reason to disbelieve) told him it was an OTCO. Which, all told, is pretty thin info in my ears.

You see, that pic he has there is, in my eyes, an entirely different reel which has intrigued me for years: the Endicott-Wilson.

Or, am i underinformed? Did OTCO manufacture the Endicott-Wilsons?

Part of me suspects i might be on to something. The other part says that the fellow in Ohio is simply quite mistaken.

So, if someone could cough up a verified, hard-core pic of an OTCO, it would help.

Silly part is, a friend of mine had one a long time ago. I badgered him for years to take pictures; he never did.

Additional info on Endicott Wilson:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8517
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I sent the picture to Michael Farrior and he confirms that it is an OTCO and indicated he has one. I've asked about any further information and will report in if any more factoids show up.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

`
`
OHIO TOOL COMPANY TROLLING REELS

Ohio Tool Company made their high end big game reels for a very short period in the post war 1940s. They were one of the last great hand made big game reels and were extremely well made. The OTCO trolling reels were made in the 4/0, 6/0 and 12/0 sizes. The reel had a lever drag that functioned like a normal drag lever but could also be adjusted by removing the drag lever and re-positioning it on its serrated shaft to add more or less drag. The reel also has a preset brake control knob on the rear side-plate. This reel had an amazing and innovative drag that was completely different in design than any other big game reel as it featuried an internal cone brake. Read more about the drag in the brochure below.

OHIO TOOL COMPANY 4/0 REEL - This reel is serial number 116 and is in EXCELLENT CONDITION. It is quite scarce and it is also FOR SALE ... $475.00 - includes shipping.

OHIO TOOL COMPANY 12/0 BIG GAME REEL - To my knowledge, the only 12/0 OTCO big game reel that has ever been found. This reel is serial # 4

OTCO 6/0 and 4/0 big game reels with their brochures:

Last edited by reeltackle on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

As usual, you da man, Ed! Thanks much for the show!

So, why do you suppose such a great reel was so short-lived? Just couldn't break into the market? Too expensive to produce? Unrelated Company problems?
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Wow, man, wow... Thats just fantastic. Thanks a bunch, Ed. Much appreciated! I was sortof thinking this subject would catch your eye.

Man, that is a gorgeous reel. Cool brochures too. It seems they put a great deal of work into making the best reel they could.

This still raises some questions in my mind though, that i'll look into later. Typing posts on iphone = no fun.

Get back later,
Rob
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Right, then...

So, like i was saying, that which initially caught my eye and prompted this thread was the striking resemblance of the OTCO reels to the Endicott-Wilson reels, both aesthetically as well as technically. Both reels share similar features which are very unusual otherwise (shape of crank arm and drag lever and handle knob) similar manufacture and construction, and a drag unit in the spool arbor.

Beyond these similarities i could find no direct evidence of kinship between the two, so i will quite happily stop short of inferring such. But hey, man... seriously.. Y'all can understand my mistake if any, right?

Pics borrowed from Dr. Todd / Ebay
(Disregard the handle knob in that last pic; it looks as though the original knob was lost and replaced with one from a Senator)

I also had a look around the patent archives and found the father of the OTCO reels to be Mr. Lester Butzman, Sr. as detailed in US 2,531,610 in 1948 (issued 1950). (you might want to hang onto that and add to your collection, Ed)

So the years of manufacture are right on. (Funny, but by the looks of the graphics in the brochures pictured above i would have guessed much later.)

The patent references Dumond's earlier one for the Endicott-Wilsons in 1942.
(coincidentally, it also refers to a couple of other reels by Bannister, about whom we had a very interesting presentation here by Ed a couple years ago)

Another interesting aspect is that of the drag material. I recall my OTCO-owning friend in Florida (Mike H, former importer of Everol reels) telling me that the OTCOs had carbon fiber drag washers thirtyfive years before anyone else. I didn't really believe him. However, as can be seen in the brochures, that was almost the case.

A further neat feature of the OTCOs is that of the splined drag lever. I thought that was my idea..! Also, it is difficult to read the fine print in the brochure, but it almost seems like they're describing a ratcheting crank handle, no? Something about 60* versus 360* rotation? Nice if so, but that sort of thing is expressly prohibited by the IGFA.

Well, that was a most interesting look at a very nice reel. A reel experience, if you will.

Doc.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Wow, you gotta love that revolutionary internal cone brake!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I came across this old thread a while ago as I like and collect both the Otco and Endicott Wilson reels so I am always looking for info on them. I thought I would add a few photos and some information on both their drag systems that I have found in taking them apart.
First the Otco.
I recently bought another 4/0 Otco reel that appeared to be in mint condition and when I received it the reel was in about perfect condition !! However when I went to reel it the handle turned VERY hard and the drag lever was very stiff as well. I figured it was probably dried out old grease and when I cracked it open I found exactly that !!! A white grease that had turned solid !!! So I cleaned it up nice and lightly greased and oiled it with synthetic type lubes again, very light on lube for a shelffy !!!
First pictures are of the Otco cone style drag. To me not all that well designed drag. The cone shaped drag is forced into cone shaped cup on one side of the spool. When drag lever is moved forward it forces a rod against the cone drag pushing it tighter into the cone cup. It seems to be hard to fine tune and not very smooth to me. Another thing I think that might have led to the short life of the Otco is it's always in the CLICK mode. I think that would get old fast when fishing the reel. Other than that very solidly built and a good looking reel !!

Now the Endcott Wilson's drag goes all the way through the spools arbor. The drag material is connected onto a rugged retainer and when the drag lever is pushed forward it forces the two drag retainers apart from each other applying a more equal drag to the inside of the arbor. Short tapered rods and ball bearings are used to adjust and I found a much stronger and smoother drag result from that system !!

My pick for fishing would be the Endicott Wilson !!!
Thanks for looking !! John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Great dissections, John! Both of those reels are mechanical marvels! I think the OTCO is an easier reel to maintain but the Endicott-Wilson is, arguably, a superior drag. And agreed, if you can’t kill the click, would not be a pleasurable reel to fish. Thanks for the pics!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Putting up the photos from this thread on our proprietary system because PhotoBucker is scheduled to go away very soon.

-- Dr. Todd

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mine aren’t photobucket pics !! John
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Thanks Dr. Todd. That is a very nice thing to do and its exemplary. Wish it were possible for all to do.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Yes, thanks Dr. Todd. Good thinking!

Coincidentally, I recently bought some old issues of the Reel News online. Somewhat alarmingly, I had never seen one before. And to my great pleasure, one of the issues was the one containing the great article Pritchard wrote after this thread. Great stuff!

John T, thanks for adding these great pictures and pointing out the interesting details. It is great that someone dares open up the reels to see the fun bits.

Rather intriguing compound gear train on the OTCO. Wonder why. I thought i was the only one who did strange things like that.

Robert Janssen
Sweden
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

The gears in the Otco were scary when I first looked in but I took pictures and took them out one by one. Having that clicker on at all times ????? Don't know why ? Only time I ever use clicker is if I fish a bait in free spool and then it goes off as soon as I hook up ! I really believe they would have done better with a cliker button. John Taylor
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great pictures John! I had taken an OTCO reel apart several years back and always assumed that the brake on the EW was similar but, as you clearly show, it is a much better design. Thanks for posting your photos JT and for cracking those reels open for all of us to see. Thanks for re-posting all my photos Dr. Todd.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Well I have one more interesting finding when comparing the 4/0 Otco to the 4/0 Endicott Wilson reels and it was a bit surprising to me. The Otco has a 4 to 1 retrieve and surprisingly the Endicott Wilson has only a 1.6 or 1.7 to 1 retrieve ???
I guess the Endicott would be great for winching up a big fish from the depths but if you were fishing deep the Otco would be a fast reel up to check your bait !!! John Taylor PS I think that might answer Rob's comment on Otco's gears !!!!