New at restoration with a JVH 1/0

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
crowebeetle
Big ORCA Fan

New at restoration with a JVH 1/0

Post by crowebeetle »

Hi,

I recently purchased a JVH 1/0 and have a few basic questions. Given that I am new at this I am not 100% sure whether it is plated brass (I suspect it is) or NS thus do treatment options vary. I've read many of the posts on resto but it has never been explicit on the vinegar soak if the reel is to be disassembled first which I suspect it is. Since I have never done this before what can I expect during take down? Is this reel a complicated one that I would need a schematic?

Thanks in advance for your expertise and membership in this 12-step program.

Jim

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: New at restoration with a JVH 1/0

Post by john elder »

Hi, Jim...I don't know how your post slipped through the cracks, but it didn't show up on my "new posts" page, so just now saw it! this reel is not complicated when you get it apart so you won't need a schematic, although it is never a bad idea to have the digital camera handy and take pics on the way in...that makes it easier when you put any reel back together. Watch out for those little star washers...they are hard to find...particularly if they end up in the carpet.

as you can see, most of the parts are plated brass. For me, a reel like this is a case of "it is what it is" and I would just give the whole thing a vinegar bath. this usually helps in getting the screws out without trashing them. However, if they are loose, you might go ahead and disassemble it before the bath. Sometimes the vinegar treatment will lighten (brown) the side plates, so some avoid treating them. I have found that Simichrome will darken the sideplates as well as clean the metal parts, so I usually just treat the whole reel.

When the corrosion is heavy like this, the reality is that you will lose most of that plating. I always figure it's better to get the corrosion off and stopped and don't worry about that aspect. I will use a toothbrush and running water to get off what I can after the vinegar treatment (1 part white vinegar to 2 or three parts water for an hour to overnight, depending on the job) and advance to wetted 0000 steel wool for the tougher areas, where necessary. I soak all the parts in mineral spirits after that to get rid of the moisture and any stubborn grease that didn't want to lift with the vinegar treatment. Finish off with Simichrome polish of all parts, then lube and put it back together. It will make a nice piece for your collection!
crowebeetle
Big ORCA Fan

Post by crowebeetle »

John,

Thanks for the advice. I had read many of the cleaning and resto posts before I submitted the questions but needed a little more hand holding for my first attempt. I hadn't thought of the photo aspect - a great suggestion. I was a unclear about the soaking part whether to do the whole reel assembled or in parts. Since this is my first I didn't want to do anything stupid - I save those for later when I get overconfident. Unfortunately, I have some cane rods I need to work on as well and those provide even more opportunity for new skills and and errors. One does learn more from failure than success.

Thanks again, John, I've learned a lot from the site.

Jim
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome, jim and glad to help! I think the only real question is whether you want to soak the rubber in vinegar. As i said, i've always gotten things back to where i wanted them after such a soak, but some would argue against it
Oh, BTW, you may know that your handle nut is wrong...you'll want to keep an eye out for a replacement.
crowebeetle
Big ORCA Fan

Post by crowebeetle »

I noticed that the nut on the reel wasn't as it should be and will try to find an authentic replacement. I thought I would take it apart so that I could clean the innards more easily and not vinegar soak the hard rubber. Vinegar is not what it needs. Is there another mild abrasive other than Simichrome that can be used to get the rubber back to that wonderful black?

I do appreciate your observations.

Thanks,

Jim
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Jim,

You could use car polish if you have some. The one for oxidized paint ( stronger cutting action) would be a good start for a quicker progress and finish with a finer polish to removes fine scratches. Lots of rubbing with a soft cloth.

Ray
crowebeetle
Big ORCA Fan

Post by crowebeetle »

Thanks, Ray, I believe I've got some.