True Temper Fan

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Agleason
Big ORCA Fan

True Temper Fan

Post by Agleason »

My father worked for True Temper from 1961 till 1989. I grew up with True Temper rods and reels all around the basement. I can tell you that the employees took enormous pride in the products that were produced. That being said, my dad has a nice little collection of brand new fishing rods and reels. He recently gave me a couple of his prized reels. The first is a brand new Fortescue made between 1925 and 1930. This reel was aquired when Ocean City was aquired by TT. It lived in a display at the company until TT quit the fishing tackle business. The second is a new Bronson 990. I have attached a few pictures.

Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy
Super Board Poster

Re: True Temper Fan

Post by Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy »

Hi
I have a small collection of TT's, mostly Uni-spin rod reels, model 59, 62, 63,66, a Huck Fin outfit NOS, 63SR &63SL. They are a well made reel and outfit.
One of our member's who is no longer with us had a great collection of Bronson and TT's and we maintain his web site, his name was robert ellis you might like to take a look see and maybe add some pictures of reels that robert didn't have in his collection.
Thanks for posting on our site and telling us about your father's work and collection.
Dick Braun, current V.P of ORCA
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hello Agleason,

Welcome to the ORCA Forum.

That Fortescue you have is a great collectible, especially with the story that goes along with it.

I was wondering if you know exactly what year True Temper took over Ocean City :?: I suspect it was in the late 1950's, But I do not know the exact year.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Fantastic! Great to have you on board! A long-time ORCA member who passed away a decade or so ago, Jim Music, had apparently completed a manuscript on the history of True Temper reels before his untimely passing. I don't know if I ever did follow up on this with Jim's sister (our own Jim Madden knew Jim Music very well).

It is awesome to have you on board and perhaps you'd consider doing a biography/interview with your dad we could publish in The Reel News about his time working with True Temper. There are many ORCA members who'd love to preserve that information!

Let me know if I can help out on this.
Agleason
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Agleason »

Thank you so much for the responses. I would love to chat with dad and get some of the "inside" history of True Temper. I remember dad having some modified prototype uni spins also. As a kid, I had a custom made kid size uni spin. The normal 63 reel with short one piece rod. He has a special uni spin with a trigger instead if the push button.

I can't recall the exact year TT bought Ocean City. The Fortescue reel I have was a "show" reel direct from OC. It is absolutely new, just a little patina. Spent its life behind glass, and then in my dads closet.

Could someone give me the address to Robert Ellis' web site?

The possibility of a TT history of the reels they sold would be awesome. They made so many models that most have never seen.
Super Board Poster

Click on HOME at the top right and then Reel Research and you will see Robert Ellis Bronson and OC sites. You can also call me and I will be happy to guide you there on the phone.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Super Board Poster

John is that the truth? the whole truth, and nothing but the truth on your personal collecting habits?
Agleason
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Agleason »

I had a long conversation with my dad about his TT memories. He remembers that in 1962 TT in Anderson SC expanded and began producing all the Ocean City reels. He said it was a huge undertaking and compared the reels to a watch. Dad was the guy who designed and built new prototypes, like the trigger activated uni spin that was never produced. He made hundreds of modifications and experimental changes over the years, most were never produced. Here are a few more pictures

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I had a long conversation with my dad about his TT memories. He remembers that in 1962 TT in Anderson SC expanded and began producing all the Ocean City reels. He said it was a huge undertaking and compared the reels to a watch. Dad was the guy who designed and built new prototypes, like the trigger activated uni spin that was never produced. He made hundreds of modifications and experimental changes over the years, most were never produced. Here are a few more pictures
Your father is a rare connection to reel making history.

The uni-spin reels were produced. I have a 1969 True Temper catalog that is a still offering a full line of Ocean City reels with the True Temper modifications and the triggered Uni-Spin reels. I suspect your father has a wealth of information in his memories.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Our Bronson website now covers dozens of the Uni-Spin models, both from Bronson and True Temper, through 1975.
Mark
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Am I to assume that when Sears began to market Ted Williams/Sears fishing tackle that most of them were manufactured by TT?
I collect UL spinning reels and one of my favorites is a TT UL spinning reel made by Zangi of Italy. Tiny little thing.
Great post.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Most "Ted Williams" reels were produced by the Shakespeare Co.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Earlier TW open face were made Zangi, then Coptes, about 30 different models in various shapes & sizes. Shakespeare made a half dozen or so models in the late '60s - early '70s and all the later open face were made in Japan, a few by Daiwa. Most TW spin cast were made by Shakespeare or in Japan. TT only had 3 open face models made in Italy by Zangi, 311, 322 & 333 (S, M & L).

Tom
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

When my brother sold his lake place a few years back, he gave me this 63L , three different ends. Not sure that he ever used it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I loved my old Bronson 63...it was the "left-handed" version (i.e., right hand wind)...I still have it. I would have gotten it for my birthday somewhere around 1962-63. Caught a lot of fish with that rig and amazing that it survived my treatment!

....er...well...Dick, I failed to list a few decoys in my collecting group....and...uh...a few creels... :oops: ....I clearly need help..
Super Board Poster

John
I think your doing just fine expanding your collections, Have you got four 10x16 ft sheds full yet if not I've still got the lead. LOL
Dick
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Have you got four 10x16 ft sheds full yet if not I've still got the lead.
And they're continually climate controlled @ 70 +- 10⁰ w/ 50% relative humidity, right? :lol:

Tom
Super Board Poster

Just one has A/C and a phone as it second's as my office as well, wife make's me have my man cave out side of the house.
phishinphool
Big ORCA Fan

Post by phishinphool »

hi, I have a few Bronson underspin reels without a rod,but I do have a Johnson mod 70 black rod without a good reel-could you tell me if The Bronson black unispin would be considered a correct match with the Johnson rod and if not, what would the correct tru temper rod look like?
Beefbuyer
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Beefbuyer »

Here's an article I did comparing the 70 and 63 on JRCA internet site. I think you can log in as a guest and see it. It's under Jp Elim. https://www.johnsonreels-online.org/ind ... 130.0.html Here's one I have no idea how it came to be. I call it a 7259. Has a 9ft rod. https://www.johnsonreels-online.org/ind ... 028.0.html
Super Board Poster

I have sold all but 2 early Bronson/True Temper outfits.
That-Zebco-Guy the one who collects the bullet proof closed face reels. Joined ORCA Oct. 2003, Past VP. Need to ask a question: call me 1-941-639-8330 home, 941-661-7187 cell, EST.