FinNor Size??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

FinNor Size??

Post by Bruce Davis »

I picked up a couple of large FinNor Big game reels that don't Have a O size can someone give me a aprox size
using the O desg.
hey have in a diamond 4 pats one is 2255703 reel are numbered F83 and F108 age??
both are inscribed Capt. Mike McCarty any info apreciated
both spool are 4 1/2 the Dia 5 3/4 both have lever to make 2 speed
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Re: FinNor Size??

Post by Dr. Rob »

Look along the bottom edge of the reels left sideplate, under the diamond. Often there will be a string of numbers there, like a serial number. The leftmost of these numbers, often to the left of a screw, will begin with a 4, or a 9 for example.... as in, 4/0 or 9/0.
Your reels are pretty big... does the number 12 appear there ?

Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

No nothing under diamond!! the width is larger than my 14 Penn but dia smaller
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Here.... like this. This happens to be a 6/0

Incidentally, the latest patent stamped on the diamond is from 1941, but the reels were made for a long time and could be much newer.

Some of our other posters here are more knowledgeable about it; hopefully one of them will have a more complete answer for you.

BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

Should be a 12/0 based on the dia. & width.
Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

Thanks for info Brian and Dr. rob no number under diamond not fam with FinNor never had that kind of $$
wasn"t sure about the two speed back in 40s
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

Fin nor had 2 speed reels back in the 30s
Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

Thanks Brian How far back to 2 speeds go???
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

How far back to 2 speeds go???
Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

Thanks Steve guess I should have just pulled out your book!! nowdays I just have 1 speed slow
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

Bruce

Fin - Nors first 2 speed came out in 1937. A 15/0 size reel that was not easy to change speeds
Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

Thanks Butch these two have a ledge you push down and the whole handle and mech comes out and you put it in a other hole seems like it would be tough when fishing?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

the whole handle and mech comes out and you put it in a other hole
That procedure sounds just as cumbersome as the one used with a Coates reel.
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

Bruce,
That method started around 1954. In 1939 the lever was pushed out of the way for the handle to come out to be placed in the other hole. The 1937 configuration most of the slide plate move after you pulled a lever and turned a knob.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

First model Fin-Nor 2-speed, double handled reels circa 1937 - 1938 in two flavors.

Second Model 2-Speed, double handled 15/0 Fin-Nor with swinging bar to expose holes for handle.

Bruce Davis
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bruce Davis »

Ed
my two both look like your img no 6 but without two handles? Just one. do the F83 and F108 mean anything?
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

They would be the serial numbers but I do not believe anyone has broken the code.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Having said all that though, these reels were still sold up into the 1990s.

And, a quick Google search of that captain indicates he was still active just a few years ago.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

reeltackle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:07 pm They would be the serial numbers but I do not believe anyone has broken the code.
I was looking at old posts and found this on breaking the serial number codes on Fin-Nor reels. I believe the Fin-Nor reels from the late 1940s and into the mid to late 1950s were mostly serialized with a letter preceding the number. From what I can tell the 12/0s started with an "F" , the 9/0s started with an "H" , the 6/0s had an "M". Now the 4/0s I have seen with both "N" and "O" in front of serial numbers and no idea why ??? I have purchased a bunch of Fin-Nor's in all sizes from this era and this is just my somewhat educated guess based on my reels and other collectors reels I have seen. Would love to hear from other collectors on there thoughts !!!

The early Fin-Nor reels are still a mystery to me ?? Not sure if they were numbered by model type or what ??? Seems like first few made had no serial numbers. Now I have seen a "G" model double handle with the number "4" on it supposedly from 1938 or 39. Now I own a 2nd model two speed with a number "7" on it supposedly made in 1937 ??? Something don't add up. My guess would be the early reels were numbered by models.

I would like to start to collect serial numbers from other collectors on the pre war Fin-Nor reels and possibly start to figure out the early serial number sequence !! I would start a list if anyone is interested in joining in. Please let me know if interested ?? We could PM numbers if you didn't want to share to the public.

I hope there is at least some interest. Thanks !! John Taylor
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Very nice John. Hope we can get a bit more info on this subject. I had to laugh a bit as I purchased those 2 Fin Nor reels from Bruce that same year at the Gettysburg show. Both are engraved Capt. Mike McCarty. Neither are what I would call collector grade, but I would fish with them for sure. Doug