dating a Penn reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: dating a Penn reel

Post by m3040c »

Hey, Mike! Question....does which way the "S" curve in the handle facing mean anything? Or is that just "pot luck" determine by how the assembler pulled the blank out of the box?
That question has popped up many times. I feel it is how they were set on the bench of the assembler. It is one of those traits that can go either way. I do not believe that anything positive can be said about the which direction the curve of the blade goes.
By the way...
Be carefully using and sort of stronger solvent, detergent, acid cleaner on the earliest catalin knobs. You can damage them
Agreed. A vinegar bath dos not hurt the catalin, I think it is also fairly resistant to many solvents. Catalin is a Bakelite derivative, and Bakelite is very inert, which means it is extremely stable and resistant to many solvents. The handles that were delicate with the celluloid handles used on Pflueger reels. They would melt if left in the sun too long and Ocean City handles were very susceptible to getting stiff as they aged. Penn handles were very resilient; but, I guess if you cleaned them in pure Acetone, they might get damaged. I really do not know, I usually do not subject my reels to cleaning solvents that could damage them. Those types of solvents are also dangerous to work with.
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

How about the smaller handles,you said butterscotch colored?

[/img]
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Two more of the same reel
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

Sorry I know I’m raising an old post but facts are facts no matter how old they are…unless they are found to have been mistakes before so if some knows about this old reel which I just renewed after this pic,some parts were missing which were ordered from Mystic so it will be good as new soon and maybe a catfish reel.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Judging by the smooth knobs (regardless of color) and no part numbers that reel was made in the 40s.
-Chris R.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Raising old posts is fine and that’s why we have such a great archive of posts. I always find it interesting to read them through again and see the entries i made and don’t recall at all! Committing all those factoids to memory is impossible for me, so its great to be able to toss a clue into the query box and have all this info and debates brought to light again.

Re the new entry, i’m not recalling ever seeing that handle grasp on a Penn reel. My first response would be that it has been replaced, but it prompts me to pull out Mike’s book and see what else i have forgotten!

Note: a quick look in the Penn Bible shows that grasp shape and several other changes over the years and models. It’s likely just fine!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

I have a few times resurrected old posts that I later realized were ones I started years ago!that Baymaster was missing parts and had some parts out of order and in the wrong place! It’s now cleaned rebuilt and loaded with 20# mono for catfishing.

Could it be a late 40 _early 50’s reel like I’m thinking?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Interesting first gen handle knobs of the Model 109 & 180. Probably were used for only a few years. I always liked them better than what replaced them. I have a special all red Model 109 done with that shape handle. The reel was never made like this out of the factory, but it is a fun build if you can find the parts.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Mike, that is one great looking reel.
Bruce Harlan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I was digging through my handle stash this AM and found this pristine one i assume is early Penn. anyone in need??

I also have this one, which i think is Penn?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike, that is one great looking reel.
Thanks

John,
Both of those handles are Penn. The second one is the style that replaced the double knob one you posted.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food