More photos from 2016 ORCA National (Friday)

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

More photos from 2016 ORCA National (Friday)

Post by Richard Lodge »

Posting a number of photos from activities today, for your viewing pleasure.
Also, some news: The 2017 convention is planned for Sept. 6-10 in Branson, Mo. Slightly different dates than you might have heard yesterday.
Casting contest winners today: We had a tie between Bill Burke and Dennis McNulty. Dennis also won Thursday's fishing contest.
Roger Schulz was the lucky (?) winner of the ugly reel contest. Oddly enough, there was only one pathetically ugly reel to toss so we took turns and Roger came out victorious, after a toss-off (toss-up?) with Curry Gayle. Curry tried to throw the match at the end with a toss of about 4 feet, but in a re-do, he successfully landed the reel further from the hoop than Roger did, so Roger won.
Also, ORCA President Betty Barr, our initial life member, by donating $1,000, announced four more folks have stepped up with similar donations to boost the club and obtain lifetime memberships. They are: Henry Caldwell, Dennis McNulty, Tom Greene and an anonymous donor. A huge thank you went up from the group at tonight's annual dinner.
And now, for some photos:

Betty giving members updates at this morning's "breakfast with the board."

Bill Hoerter, giving a seminar on what he terms "metal side-disk reels," with many examples shown behind him.
Other seminar presenters today were Craig Barber (who gave two) and Roger Schulz.

Curry Gayle, right, talking shop with ORCA members between seminars.

National tournament casting veteran Bill Burke, left, talks reels with Henry Caldwell, the newest ORCA board member, at Friday morning antique tackle casting competition.

Yes, at least one casting outfit seemed out of place Friday morning. Yes, I know you're puzzled. It was that glow-in-the-dark Zebco rig on the right, which was a gag.

Here's some more serious gear used in the casting competition, including a nice Meek No. 3 with tournament casting handle

Roger Schulz, showing his winning form, in the Stu Lawson Memorial Ugly Reel Toss.

And Curry showing his "I am so happy not to win this" form in the ugly reel toss.

Lulu Edwards tried her hand in the toss.

And Patti Carey gave it the old college try.

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: More photos from 2016 ORCA National (Friday)

Post by Brian F. »

Great bunch of photos of a great bunch of people, Richard. Thanks for sending them to help us all get motivated to attend the next one!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Henry Caldwell, Dennis McNulty, Tom Greene and Anonymous Donor for signing up as life members!
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

OK, enough of the "Old reel toss", could someone post some photos of the Casting Tournament. For sure a photo of the "Champ" in action, if nothing else!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Looks like lots of fun, I wish I could have been there with all the great reels and all the good folks that make ORCA such a pleasure to be a part of. Enjoy the show!

Only thing, I don't see anyone sweating like I did at my show last year..........what gives?? Ain't they got no heat in Tennessee??
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ed, Henry and Betty ordered up some unbelievable weather! No humidity and the hottest it ever got was the high '70s...just perfect!

Thanks to all for making this such a great show! Even four airports couldn't ruin this one for me!!

John
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Did you go home with more than you came with, John??
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Have a question.

Did Tournament Caster B. J. Farley make it to the Convention?
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

No. I called him a week before and he could not make it
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Thanks Betty.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

This casting contest warm up image got by me but Richard also took this one. Thanks again, Richard!!

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Amazingly enough, Jon, i'm ending up making it home with about as much as i took...just a lot of it is different! Bad Bob Miller made it over and gave me such a great deal on a Mallochs salmon reel, i had to bring it home! He also had a sweet little Heaton reel but i cheaped out and let him take it home. I also took some great reels that belonged to a friend and sold all three to good homes...one of them to me! Held it too long and fell in love! Now i need to sell some things to make up for it!

We also had about 7 full tackle boxes and about that many rods come in off the street for auction. Fortunately, i was flying, so stood back and let the folks with cars harvest all that!