Field & Stream Magazine

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Field & Stream Magazine

Post by wrong99 »

A long shot, I know, but I wonder if anyone out there has the April 1932 issue of Field & Stream. I'm trying to find out who the winners were in the 1931 Field & Stream Fishing Contest. The winners were announced in the April 1932 issue. I specifically need to know if a Jos. H. Strom from So. Dakota was one of the winners. Thanks.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Field & Stream Magazine

Post by Paul M »

Mark, using the Hathitrust search engine for "Strom" in the 1931-32 editions, there is one "hit" but you can't see what it actually says or even if the "Strom" it finds is a surname. At least this gives some hope if that is what you were hoping for.

Paul M
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Mark,

Since F&S was published in California the California History Room at the State Library in Sacramento has a complete set (hardcopy). If nobody comes up with the info you need I can look it up next time I am in Sac. (I live 30 miles away)

Alan
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Alan. If I don't post again here, it means I haven't found anything.
Mark
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

The magazine is sitting right here on my desk. You might remember that I posted the cover along with that of Outdoor Life and Sports Afield a while back. I was born in April 1932. That is the wrong issue for the list of winners. They were announced in the March issue. The April issue does state that due to the late closing date in the 1931 contest they show the Largemouth Black Bass (Intermediate Division) and the Largemouth Black Bass (Southern Division) results in that April issue. They do not show a Jos. H. Strom from So. Dakota as a winner of either of those divisions. All other contest results were in the March 1932 issue.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Phil. MARCH, 1932 it is, then.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

You might not want to buy the whole cow, but there is/was an F&S March 1932 issue for sale on Amazon for $18.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... e&qid=&sr=
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Wow Mike, thanks very much. I was able to buy it. The reason for me asking was I bought a bamboo fly rod (a 1930-1932 Horrocks-Ibbotson) virtually in unused condition and still in the Field & Stream mailing tube (postmarked June, 1932). The seller assumed it was originally sent to a F & S Fishing Contest winner. Maybe a fair assumption, maybe not. So, I wanted to confirm that Jos. H. Strom was indeed a 1931 winner, which would make for some pretty cool provenance. Thanks again to all of you.
Mark
Last edited by wrong99 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very cool project, Mark. Please let us know if it checks out. I hope it does!

Mike N
bartzmovie
Big ORCA Fan

Post by bartzmovie »

Hello Members,

I am looking for "Field & Stream" issue which lists the winners of 22nd Annual Prize Fishing Contest (1932). I read this thread and learned "large mouth bass" winner listed the next year's April issue (i.e., April 1933). Does anyone own the issue? I would appreciate if you could find "George Perry" name on it. Maybe, March 1933 issue. Please let me know, Happy Holidays!