Early Anit-Reverse Reel ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Early Anit-Reverse Reel ...

Post by reelsmith. »

This reel appeared absolutely ordinary when I picked it up ...then I noticed the srcew on the back, which seemed odd. I attempted to remove the handle plate by spinning it backwards, which is how revolving plates normally come off. But, when I did that it not only did not come off, but the spool was still ...it is anti-reverse !

I couldn't wait to get it home to see just how it worked ...

So far I have turned nothing up on Macleish except references in a few old UK auctions. I am unable to find anything by searching the patent number either.

Guessing from appearance alone I'd say this is a late 1800's reel ...which is quite early for anti-reverse.

Very cool.

Unfortunately the reel is missing two pillars, which are through-screws with rolling pillars.

Dean.

Edit: I just noticed that when the revolving plate is held still the spool can freely move in either direction. So, its more of a free-spool fly reel ?!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Early Anit-Reverse Reel ...

Post by Steve »

11/13/1885: "To arrest the line it is only necessary to turn the handle a short distance in the winding-in direction..." One sold on ebay on 2/3/14.

The Brits really seemed to like anti-reverse thingees. Here's a little reel with one mounted on the outside of the tailplate:
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Sharp eyes, Dean!
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

I know it seems wrong to do this but why not get a precision engineering firm to make up two replacement pillars and then age the brass. A good firm should be able to copy a pillar very precisely. I had to get a tiny screw made for one of my reels and the result was so good it is impossible to tell it from an original. It was very expensive though - about $45.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks guys.

Cool reel Steve !

I figured the patent was 1885, as that is stamped in the reel.

I'll check my local hardware store for parts that might work. If unsuccessful I'll just pass the reel along as is and let the next owner find/make the parts.

The guys at my hardware store love when I bring in a reel. They are mostly older fellas and they've come up with some pretty creative solutions ! They love a challenge and get tired of selling paint and toilet repair kits all day.

Dean.

ps: I've also discovered "anti" is not spelled "anit". :oops:
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Take a look at the first paragraph on the cover of US Patent 364281 by Samuel Ogden of Manchester. It references UK Patent 15679 from 1885. That could be the number on the reel but it is very hard to be sure. I don't understand how that patent would apply to the reel but I suppose it could somehow employ this man's invention.

Paul M
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The Macleish patent was #13,879, 11/13/1885.
Whiteadder
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Whiteadder »

Dean, do you still have this reel or the pictures? I'm trying to piece together the MacLeish story and how it might relate to a reel marketed by the Anderson brothers in Edinburgh.

Best

Andy