Metal/Steel fishing Rods

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Metal/Steel fishing Rods

Post by OCauto »

Do any of you know of any books that have been published on metal/steel rods. Would like to obtain one or two that cover the history, makers, values, etc.

Al
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Metal/Steel fishing Rods

Post by wrong99 »

I don't believe one exists.
Mark
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Here's your chance Al. Write one! Fame awaits!

Bad Bob
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Should be an easy project. They were only produced for 80 years!
Mark
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

That sure is encouraging. I could probably supply enough pictures for a small book but think could outlast 80 years of research. Oh well, just had to ask the Pro's

Thanks
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It would be a difficult project for a number of reasons, but I think one main reason is because the original catalogs from Union Hardware Co., Horton Mfg. Co., Orchard Industries and Richardson Rod & Reel Co., the four major producers of early steel rods, are so difficult to come by. I only have a few and I constantly search for catalogs. Ones from Gephart Mfg. Co. seem much easier to find. Steel rods were produced from the 1880's until the mid 20th century, with a staggering number of regular models and trade models. Heddon would offer tubular steel rods until around 1960 and they fell out of favor after that. Without knowing what was produced in the first place, doing a book on them would be virtually impossible. I personally love the steel rods and wish I had kept the ones I've sold over the years.
Mark
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

I have two really fine earliest True Temper rods, both marked "Pat. Applied For", with hard rubber reel mounts, trigger finger grip, agate guides (metal wraps) but even then they were quadrate. Among my favorite items!

Bad Bob
RandyAnderson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by RandyAnderson »

ORCA member Willis Logan is very knowledgeable on steel rods and might be able to answer questions.
He lives in Enid Ok. and is in the ORCA directory.

Good Luck
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I have too many to list, second to my Bamboo collection. Just hoping to find some historical writing on some of the Brands and makers.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Al, there is a tad bit of information about Bristol on my web site:
http://www.oldreels.com/horton.htm
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Al,
I have the complete 1905, 1912 and 1935 Bristol catalogs of steel rods, if you ever want copies. I have info on every steel rod ever made by James Heddon's Sons, from 1929 to the late 1950's. I also have one catalog from Richardson Rod & Reel (c.1928), showing their full line of steel rods, as well as the 1927 Union Hardware catalog. Bear in mind, this is just a very small drop in the bucket of the 80-year production of steel rods, but it would show you at least 100 different models (probably more) that were produced by four of the largest manufacturers of steel rods.
I forgot, I also have 25 years worth of catalogs (starting in 1928) for Gephart Mfg. Co. steel rods.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steel rods with vintage bait castling reels attached are underrated for cabin, rec room/man cave decoration. I mounted them horizontally on the wall with 2-hole rigid conduit straps. They don't bend and set like a split cane bamboo rod would and really look rustic.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I have a few Horton catalogs from the early 1880s through 1915, and then every Horton catalog from 1916 through 1951. It would take a while on my scanner, but if there is any particular year that you would like copies from, let me know.
KarlWhite
Big ORCA Fan

Post by KarlWhite »

What a mess I have made of this message. Trying again…. I’m Beverly White, wife of Karl White. I have never had much of an interest in Karl’s collection I wanted tackle to be “his thing”. I have developed an interest in the metal/steel rods. If any of you that have information on companies, models etc I would appreciate you reaching out. I would love to see some catalogues, accurate patent numbers, etc. Thanks so much. Please use the Contact icon on the right side to email me.
Last edited by kyreels on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling and email
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Hi Beverly, welcome. You can also just start a new post in this forum, you don't have to tag onto an existing one. We do ask that anyone on the board contact you through the Contact icon on the side. It will automatically send an email to you at the correct address. This way the spam bots don't constantly harvest our message board.

If you have a group of rods you like, please post a few pictures.

There are about 181 metal fishing rod patents, all are online now at https://patents.google.com/?q=%22metal+ ... ing+rod%22

Good Luck, and welcome to the ORCA message board.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I understand the challenge facing anyone investigating steel rods. I have tackled True Temper steel rods for a number of years. There are many models each being produced in several grades. This is a long way from complete or possibly being helpful but the pic here shows handles use on TT casting rods in chronological order as well as some being used simultaneously on different grades.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Bill Sonnett wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 am I understand the challenge facing anyone investigating steel rods. I have tackled True Temper steel rods for a number of years. There are many models each being produced in several grades. This is a long way from complete or possibly being helpful but the pic here shows handles use on TT casting rods in chronological order as well as some being used simultaneously on different grades.
Very cool lineup, Bill.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Long-time ORCA member Charlie Tanner in Florida has an extensive collection of metal rods and has mentioned them in some of the articles he has written over the years for The Reel News.
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Some interesting metal rods and rod butts come from overseas- Atalanta butt sections are mostly metal, I have a Mitchell-Henry rod that’s all metal, and back in Cali I have an LA Coxe butt that’s one of two known. I’d be very interested in who / what else exists- establishing pre-1940s metal big game like mine… thanks