Tom Rech

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Tom Rech

Post by Nick in NY »

Tom Rech............got an email today about Tom Rech! Tell me it's not true! One of the VERY FEW FLORIDIAN collectors I can stand behind. I hate this hobby, too many people falling out. Where do you stand?
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Tom Rech

Post by john elder »

Was very sorry to hear, although I only knew Tom through other collectors, but I'm sure he will be sorely missed.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Tom was 1 of only a select few Florida collectors I dealt with on a personal level. He will be missed. I'm not sure if he was a club member but was always willing to share information. Did I miss a posting of his passing? I ask because I'd just returned from vacation and didn't see it. It would be sad if his passing wasn't acknowledged due to being on a membership roster. I myself am NOT a member simply due to a lack of time BUT if it helps and the $ is needed so be it just send the publications to someone with more time than myself. Tight Lines in 2017 Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Tom was a member, yes.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

An obit is planned for the next issue of the Reel News. The March issue had already gone to press.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I called last week to talk to Tom and his son answered and told me the awful news. Although I never met him in person we became friends through our many conversations. Made me realize I better live for today.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

TOM RECH Obituary from the Reel News -

From the book - Sportfishing Around Miami - by Ed Pritchard & Tim O'Brien

Tom Rech was one of the earliest antique fishing tackle collectors in the Miami area and over the years he put together the finest collection of Fin-Nor reels and their Tycoon rod counterparts ever assembled. Tom was not just interested in the accumulation of the individual pieces, he also had a huge appetite for the history of the companies that built the rods and reels as well as the anglers that gave the tackle its character. Tom owned Aquarius Rods, a small tackle shop in Miami Springs where he built custom rods and sold whatever was need to help anglers catch fish in and around the Miami area, however, tackle was not the only thing that was dispensed from his humble store. Tom was an expert angler himself, past president of the Miami Sportfishing Club and one of only six members to reach the level of Supreme Angler holding many of the club's records. Tom never hesitated to help his fellow anglers by sharing his expertise on fishing South Florida waters. Tom's genuine caring nature coupled with his great sense of humor, big smile and big heart earned him the friendship and the respect of people from all walks of life. Tom's little shop on Westward Dr. was much more than a place to go and buy tackle, it became your favorite place to play hooky from work, grill burgers behind the store, have a couple of beers and hang out with friends. On December 24th, it was the place to go for Tom's Christmas Fish Fry and the rest of the year it was also the place where local kids could get a job and learn a skill that would help them to get a good start in the world. Some of the kids Tom helped went on to join the Coast Guard and others become expert Florida Keys fishing guides. Tom was my running buddy for many years, we ran down countless leads and went to countless shows together and, because of friendships like this, I firmly believe that the best part of being a tackle collector is being able to add wonderful people like Tom to your life. - Ed Pritchard

In Tom's shop on Westward Dr. in Miami Springs with Roswell Lee, the inventor of the Lee's reel.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.