J.A. Coxe 9/0 QTA reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

J.A. Coxe 9/0 QTA reel

Post by fishhead »

I just recently acquired a J.A. Coxe screwless quick take apart reel and I wanted to get some more information on it.

1. When was this reel made?
2. Is this reel considered to be a Zane Grey reel?
3. How rare is this particular model?
4. The reel is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition, probably a 9 out of 10 for both. How much is this reel worth, not that I am going to sell it anytime soon?

Any information on this reel would be greatly appreciated.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: J.A. Coxe 9/0 QTA reel

Post by john elder »

Paul, first of all, does it say Los Angeles on the handle or Bronson?

No, not a Zane Grey, as I learned the hard way...only the 12/0 size LA Coxe is the Zane Grey model and that reel is the "screwed" model, with faceplate held by 5 screws and lacking the quick takedown feature.

Value is always better than a stick in the eye. If an LA reel, it could have been made about any time during the '20's, but probably late '20's. If Bronson, probably mid to late '30's

LA reel probably $700-900; Bronson...I'm wondering the same thing...I have a nice one for sale! Would be less...probably $500-600
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

It is made in Bronson Michigan. It says 9/0 on the top of the stand. A very cool reel for sure.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

There were four different 9/0 Bronson Coxe reels that were being offered in the first Bronson Coxe catalog circa 1937ish. Is your reel one of these reels? The reels changed over the years so yours may be different.

The first model was the 9/0 OC model which came in two sizes, the OCW (wide) and the OCR (regular) sizes. The OC was the top-of-the-line model 9/0 size reel and cost $175.00 for the OCW and $150.00 for the OCR. It should be noted that the comparable size Edward vom Hofe 9/0 reel was selling for $110.00 and the Pflueger Atlapac was selling for $100.00 in 1937. Although Joe Coxe was no longer making these reels the prices were still at a premium.

The second model was the 9/0 OBC model which also came in two sizes, the OBCW (wide) and OBCR (regular) sizes. The OBCW cost $110.00 and the OBCR cost $100.

Both models of reels had the same dimensions and the same line capacities and, from the illustrations in the catalog, it is a bit hard to distinguish the differences between the OC and the OBC models, however, if you look closely you can see that the hubs in the center of the face-plates are different. How this slight difference in the illustration translates into quality differences and then into price differences I don't know. If anyone has an OC or an OBC model reel (or both) can you please jump in and explain the differences for us. Pictures would be great.

Both of these models were "no-screw" easy breakdown models. Did Bronson made a 9/0 or, for that matter, a 12/0 "screw" model reel. Has anyone ever seen one? Perhaps they came later?

Below is an illustration from the catalog showing the breakdown of the reels.

Fishhead, can you post a photo of your reel? If you can that would help date it and also give us an idea of the condition which is also very important in determining the value.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ed, thanks much for the great adds to the thread! Here are pics of my Bronson 9/0, marked 9/0 BC with a 3" wide spool. The free spool knob is different than the catalog pics. I think it is legit,although i had Elder Reel Works make the tiny HR grasp which was missing when i got the reel:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

My reel is the same as John's with the same counterbalanced handle with the black torpedo knob that does not have an oiler in it. Mine is actually the wider version of the reel that has a spool width of 3 3/4 inches and is marked 9/0-CW. I have not posted any pictures on the ORCA website before so I will have to find out how to do it.

Thanks Paul Berinson
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

So I have the 9/0 Bronson Coxe, wide- and it also has a torpedo handle, though mine is Red. Interesting these Bronson Coxe 9/0's seem more Rare than the usually more desirable LA Coxe 9/0's. I tried to search on Ebay and Langs past sales, and only saw one that sold at Langs for $600- not sure if the fee's were on top but similar price as the LA Coxe 9/0s. I'd post pix, but I too have problems posting pix on Orca. My fault surly. But love the site and info ! thanks all
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

LANGS AUCTION LISTING INFO/DESCRIPTION $ 600.00 ( Sold Price )

A circa 1940's era reel with a Coxe Auto Mesh free spool lever on the head plate, Coxe Cross-Bolt-Take-Down system and star drag, with the foot having the model "9/0 - BC" stamped on the foot. The 5 1/4" diameter, 3" wide spool reel is in Ex condition, spooled with old line, and free from any hard rubber blemishes.