Rogue Reel the real story.....

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Rogue Reel the real story.....

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Rogue Reels

The Real Story!
As a SNOB member I have always had a liking for reels made in the great state of Oregon. Being a long time resident of Grants Pass the Rogue® Reel became a passion of mine. Not just collecting the reels but finding the history behind the reel. The few articles written about these unique reels just didn’t seem to always ring true to me for some reason and that ignited a bit of a quest for me to find the truth behind the reel.

The Rogue® reel is unique in that it used a floating drag/disc brake similar to those on an automobile. And you were able to actuate the brake with a finger lever. Other than some prototypes that can be found occasionally, there were three models. The model 200 fly/trolling reel, the model 300 that was essentially a wide spool model of the 200 and the Model 150 spinning reel that used the same brake system as the 200 and 300 reels.

The common thought is that a man named John J Shaw of Grants Pass Oregon was the inventor, builder, and seller of the Rogue Reels. Shaw was in fact a crucial part of the Rogue® Reel history and production beginning in 1960, but the actual designer of the Rogue was a man by the name of Bert H Parks. Parks was born October 25th 1889 in Greenville Texas. He was an inventor all his life and is credited with inventing the credit card stamping machine, if you are old enough you can remember “swiping” the old school credit cards. He also invented and developed the National postage machine and the first Omni postage meter machine in the United Sates. Another invention of his was an embossing and plating machine for making military “dog tags”. While living in the NE he combined his love of fishing and his inventing skills to create his own reels. On September 28th 1946 Parks applied for and received, on May 22 1951, patent 2,553,784 for a fishing reel, later to become The Rogue® Reel.

Parks moved out west in the late 50’s and landed in Berkley California. While in Berkley he applied for additional patents and apparently began some sort of production of the reels. It was at this time that Parks became involved with Shaw of Grants Pass Oregon.

On April of 1960 at a Chamber of Commerce meeting in Medford Oregon, Shaw and Parks outlined their vision for the creation of Rogue® Reels Inc. and Savage Rapids Manufacture Company Inc. which would include a stock sale. They also told of seven different models to be made. In November of 1960, Rogue® Reels Inc. was registered in California under #C0405365 but I cannot find that the Savage Rapids Manufacture Inc. was ever created.

Apparently Parks was a very reserved, quiet individual and shunned the salesman/promoter lifestyle whereas Shaw thrived in it. Shaw began to promote and advertise the reels hooking up with the likes of Stu Apte, a 2005 inductee to the IGFA Hall of Fame. Some of the fliers produced by Shaw show “Capt Stu” beside a 96 pound tarpon caught by a client with a Rogue® 200 reel with another showing Stu holding the reel and an 86 pound sailfish. Stu told me that, “he allowed Shaw to use his name and likeness free of charge”. He also says he was the one who gave the suggestion to anodize the reels black and that the brake lever should be removed. All of the reels that Stu used personally had the brakes cut off.

Shaw continued making Rogue® Reels after Parks death in 1968 under the name Rogue Sport Products Inc. into the 90’s. In the later days he would put a small add into fly fishing magazines and with that plus word of mouth he was able to continue putting together and selling the unique Rogue® Reel.

Prior to Shaw’s death in 2001 the Rogue Sport Products inventory was sold, but the buyer never pursued making or selling the reels. When contacted he explained that he sold all the reel parts but to whom he could not remember. I’m still hopeful to find that treasure trove of parts, someday maybe…….

Very rare "display" box. Gary Waller collection

Early Model 200

Model 300

Model 150 Spin Reel

Gold anodized Model 200 Presentation reel.

"Prototype" 2 Speed Reel A large heavy reel. Gary Waller collection.
Last edited by Z3BigDaddy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Rogue Reel the real story.....

Post by Mike N »

Interesting info on a company I was not familiar with, so thanks for posting. The last reel, Prototype 2, has the type of quality machining that I love in a reel. Almost looks like a George Gayle.

Mike N
Last edited by Mike N on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Prototype reel

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Just to clarify the prototype is a "two speed" reel. The official designation is, "Multiple Speed, 6/0 Trolling Reel". I have an engineering report which advocated that the reels mechanism could be used in multiple applications. "Returning to the transmission device used in the multiple-speed reels, the application for such a mechanism are almost unlimited, A transmission that is gear-driven, which can change output speed ratio without the aid of a clutch, whose gears always remain in mesh is something that engineers have been striving for years to develop. Such a transmission can be designed and built to suit any application, from the smallest timer to heavy diesel power plants......" That's a lot for a little ole fishin reel.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Neat beginning to the Rogue Reel story. Could you post the original Parks patent info, or a link to it? I'm sure it would be quite an interesting study.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

great stuff - thanks for playing
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Folks,

Yes, great information for a REEL NEWS article.

However, the Patent Number is not right and nobody by the name of Bert Parks was issued a patent in 1946. Some other year, perhaps?

Easily found with more info.

Alan
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Patent dates...

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

I changed the wording so that people that do not understand the patent process do not think that the application date and the issue date are one and the same. My sentence really was a bit confusing on that. You can look below and see the numbers you need to have for the above mentioned easy look up. Also right below is the link for it if you want to go even easier. The need for clarification is a good thing as it clears up the sometimes confusing way I put things. So let me know if any other questions can be answered. EDIT for admission: And I did miss the patent # by a digit. ;)

Here are a few more of Parks submissions. Shaw pushed Parks to seek patents in other countries outside of the USofA and I have found there are Canadian patents but none others that I have found. Boring to some probably but I find this stuff fascinating.

Last edited by Z3BigDaddy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I couldn't agree more. Our last entry for the Rogue reels was in the Dec. 2003 issue, almost 14 years ago. Also, with your permission, I could use a portion of your submission for the Fishing Reel Research Site we are all in the process of updating with information and photos:

Reel Research Site

With your OK, I could add a few of the photos you provided here, with full credit to you for both text and photos.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks for the update and edit. Many of us are very interested in the development of old reels and any patent information available. I enjoy reading reel patents, especially those with ties or links to spinning reels. First thing I did after your original post was to try to find, to no avail, the patent info you referenced. The read was very interesting.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Jim Schottenham wrote:
I couldn't agree more. Our last entry for the Rogue reels was in the Dec. 2003 issue, almost 14 years ago. Also, with your permission, I could use a portion of your submission for the Fishing Reel Research Site we are all in the process of updating with information and photos:

Reel Research Site

With your OK, I could add a few of the photos you provided here, with full credit to you for both text and photos.
Just give credit on photos as two of them are not from my collection. Thank you, Blaine Might need to learn the spelling of Rogue though. ;)
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Thanks for the update and edit. Many of us are very interested in the development of old reels and any patent information available. I enjoy reading reel patents, especially those with ties or links to spinning reels. First thing I did after your original post was to try to find, to no avail, the patent info you referenced. The read was very interesting.
Still looking for the patent info on the Rogue 150 spin reel but here is a flyer:

WANTED!

WTB
These Reels! Finder Fee Paid.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Z3,

No disrespect from my reply intended, patents are great sources of information, and as you mention there can be quite a gap in when the patent application was made and the patent was issued. That is especially true after WW II due to the huge increase in patents applied for.

Cheers,

Alan
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Excellent post and much needed info on these sought after and difficult to find reels. For those that are unaware, he posted from the great state of Jefferson. Look it up...Wikipedia.
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Alan Baracco wrote:Z3,

No disrespect from my reply intended, patents are great sources of information, and as you mention there can be quite a gap in when the patent application was made and the patent was issued. That is especially true after WW II due to the huge increase in patents applied for.

Cheers,

Alan
None taken Alan! I been around since the bulletin board days of exchanging info, so I have pretty thick skin. Blaine

Speaking of patents, at one point the commissioner of the patent office proclaimed that everything that can be invented has been invented. If only they knew the future.
Last edited by Z3BigDaddy on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WANTED!

WTB
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Z3,

Tidbit of info on Rogue Reels Inc. if you don't have it.

First use claimed in 1959.

Alan

Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Cool! Thanks!

WANTED!

WTB
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Blaine,

You want a picture of the Berkeley address as it looks today? My son-in-law lives about 20 minutes away, and what are son-in-laws for, anyway!

This is how research happens, one thing leads to another, etc.

Fun stuff!

The California History Room at the State Library is a treasure trove of info as well, plus you can get incorporation papers (if they exist) from the Secretary of States office in Sacramento.

Alan
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Alan Baracco wrote:Blaine,

You want a picture of the Berkeley address as it looks today? My son-in-law lives about 20 minutes away, and what are son-in-laws for, anyway!

This is how research happens, one thing leads to another, etc.

Fun stuff!

The California History Room at the State Library is a treasure trove of info as well, plus you can get incorporation papers (if they exist) from the Secretary of States office in Sacramento.

Alan
Google earth took care of current picture. There are no incorporation papers available online but that does not mean that they do not exist. I have been spending a lot of time scanning rolls of microfiche for the stuff that will never make the internet searches.

WANTED!

WTB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for the great post! I made one on the Rogue back in 2012, but unfortunately, it was before the board posted pics and the ones are lost to the ages...well, actually, to the greed of photobucket. Anyway, as with so many other reels, Phil White was there with a detailed writeup on Shaw and the Rogue Reel, but the link to his oldreels.com site is also broken. We now have that site under the ORCA wing, but I'm not sure whether it is accessible currently.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12641&hilit=rogue

Heres a re-post pics of my Rogue.

[]
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Deke,

So
Who is Bud anyway??

IMHO, this thread alone would make a great REEL NEWS article, Blaine has obviously done a ton of research on the Company and its people, plus I WANT one of those fly reels for chasing Steelhead on the Trinity River!! Bring the reel and I will provide the guide service!! Really, plus a no cost stay at the Baracco Compound in Lewiston, in the heart of the upper Trinity River!

Cheers,

Alan
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

@John and Alan

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

That is a good looking reel John but I am confused how you use it unlined. As for you Alan, my house hangs over the Rogue River and I have an old Alumaweld that still makes trips down river and I have plenty of extra reels to use. Just say'n..... They are hitting the fishing hole outside my back window and those with the right setups are pullin some nice fish. Below is a picture of my backyard out my window. I truly am blessed... cept when the big rains come I do have to worry a bit.

WANTED!

WTB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Z, I use Virtual line to go with the virtual fishing I get to do most of the time :D . Alan, be careful with those offers...you may open the door to find me standing there with gear in hand. Hoping to get away from all the virtual fishing now that every day is saturday!

Re the owner's name, as I recall, I got the reel from some fellow living on the Rogue. From the looks of the other thread with past auctions, the company might have offered the engraving as part of the purchase?

Beautiful back yard, Z!

I can literally SEE the article on Shaw that I believe I got from Phil, but was unable to find it last night...will keep looking!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Z3BigDaddy wrote:...
Just give credit on photos as two of them are not from my collection. Thank you, Blaine Might need to learn the spelling of Rogue though. ;)
Don't look now, but you get paid for submitting an article that's accepted for Reel News publication.
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

john elder wrote: Re the owner's name, as I recall, I got the reel from some fellow living on the Rogue. From the looks of the other thread with past auctions, the company might have offered the engraving as part of the purchase?

I can literally SEE the article on Shaw that I believe I got from Phil, but was unable to find it last night...will keep looking!
You are correct in that at no extra charge you could get your reel personalized. Different fonts were used during production so perhaps different engravers. Or maybe it was even done in house. Not beyond either of the people involved with this reel.

The Phil White article was November 2003 Vol XIII Number 6 of The Reel News. Has a picture of a punkin surrounded by fishing reels.

Reel may have belonged to this Bud Leavitt a writer and outdoorsman. If it is, that would be pretty cool provenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_W._ ... eavitt_Jr.

WANTED!

WTB
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Peeps,

Yes, I just re-read Phil's article on Shaw/Rogue Reels, Blaine's research is definitely needed in an updated article since there is no information on Parks in the 2003 piece.

Blaine, were others involved with the development of the spinning reel? Maybe a patent by a different person? The spinning reel, if it was introduced in 1962 as Phil states, was about the time Rogue got the Trademark.

Fun stuff.

Alan