ORCA 2018 Annual Convention & Show

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: ORCA 2018 Annual Convention & Show

Post by Paul M »

David informed me this morning that he just distributed 700 flyers across 30 locations in the region to encourage the public to attend next Saturday June 23 and to bring their old reels and tackle for auction. Only club members can bid. Who knows what will walk in the door? Plus the silent auction should have a few nice items.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Sorry if this was already covered but what are the show open/close times on each day?
-Chris R.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The detailed convention schedule is shown on the first blue center spread page of the May 2018 Reel News.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

So in other words, I need to buy a membership or go pound sand right?
-Chris R.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Non-members wanting to go to the show only can enter at 10am on Saturday. It is scheduled to close at 3 pm.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Ok well I asked about non-member attendance on the previous page and was told differently.
-Chris R.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

1badf350 wrote:Ok well I asked about non-member attendance on the previous page and was told differently.
Memberships are a large portion of what provides the financial support to implement and maintain this informational forum, and to put on the Annual Convention. Without them there wouldn't be an Old Reel Collectors Association or forum to share information. Yearly membership fees are minuscule compared to all the knowledge and information provided via this "Association".
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

1badf350 wrote:Ok well I asked about non-member attendance on the previous page and was told differently.
If you have a point about non-member aspects of the Convention that we are missing, send me a PM with your phone number and I will be happy to call.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

No point really I had just planned on buying in to the club at the show since it was mentioned that was an option, and close to my house. So I asked if non members were permitted all days or just Saturday and was told yes. I was hoping to meet memvers and hang out prior to Saturday. Im fully aware of what supports the organization. Im not looking for freebies. I have only been reel collecting and a member of this forum for about a year. This would be my first ever convention so I have no idea how they operate. I was looking for information that I (mistakenly) assumed I had missed someplace.
-Chris R.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

This forum and the public show day are more than adequate IMHO for people to make up their minds about joining ORCA. The key paid membership benefits are a subscription to the Reel News, access to the ORCA library and access to member-only aspects of the Convention. Anyone can hang around a hotel lobby or watch something that occurs in a public area like the casting contest... if they happen to be at the right place at the right time. Everything else occurs off-site or behind closed doors so you miss the essence. I’m sure any member you happen meet in the halls or at the bar will encourage you to join. If you decide to come after all please say hello.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

There might be some confusion over the term "Show". We refer to the whole event as the ORCA National or Convention. As Paul mentioned, anyone is free to hang out in the lobby, observe any of the activities, visit rooms open for trading during the convention's four days. The "show" is on Saturday, where people set up tables in the convention hall with things for sale. This is the only official event that the public is invited to participate in and that begins at 10 am for them.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

The Join ORCA page is not working. Can someone please help?
-Chris R.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

On my way and will be in tuesday evening, loaded with show and tell plus some decent sale items. Will display as much about Perez that i could find plus a series of the evolution of his reels. Also, some nice tournament reels and a special custom reel for show. See you then!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Chris: Apologies about the website/web store. We are having a website issue today. You can join at the door if you wish, no problem. Ask for Roger Schultz when you get to the ORCA registration area of the Clarion Inn.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Thanks Paul
-Chris R.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Hope you all have a great time. Wish I could be there but not possible for me this year. Too busy being "Nurse Ratchet"! Will be thinking about the good fun and fellowship. Jon Kring
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19